Is liberal arts engineering program superior to university engineering education

<p>Well, I am planning to go into post graduate studies. So I wont need a job after completing my undergrads.</p>

<p>So, if I think of getting a job, then university is better than LAC, isn't it?</p>

<p>Listen, the OP wants to spend 3 years at a LAC and then transfer for 2 years at another college to finish the engineering degree (this is called a 3-2 program or dual-degree engineering at LAC's) if I understand correctly. The fact is that very few students follow up with this plan.</p>

<p>If you are interested in engineering, go to an LAC like Harvey Mudd, Swarthmore, Lehigh, Lafayette, Rose-Hulman where you can get your engineering degree at the same school. It's better to get 4 years of engineering experience than 3 years of science and then 2 years of engineering,</p>

<p>^ Amherst costs $58K if you are paying full sticker price. More than half of all Amherst students do not pay full sticker price. The average cost to attend Amherst aid is about $14K. By contrast, the average cost to attend UMass-Amherst after aid is about $13K for in-state students, or about $21K for out of state. So if you do qualify for aid, Amherst might even be cheaper than a state university.<br>
(Personal</a> Finance Tools and Calculators – Kiplinger’s Sortable Rankings of Private College Values - Kiplinger)</p>

<p>There is no simple answer to the topic question. You need to do a little homework and some reflection to decide whether a liberal arts education is something you value. There are universities that offer both solid engineering and solid arts and science programs (Cornell for example). So it's not as if the choice comes down to a tech/engineering powerhouse and a tiny LAC where you have to do 3+2 to get engineering at all.</p>

<p>And keep in mind the additional year of expense to finish out at a 3+2.</p>

<p>"The drawback of the "large top tier university" is: You will never have the opportunity to get your hands dirty. You will not have the opportunity to actually contribute to a real life project (that's for the grad students). Unless you were to go to a University where you could be assigned, as an undergrad, to a research project or be part of the design/build team specific competition (the battery powered car competition that's going on now comes to mind) or find that particular prof who is not only famous but will write you one hell of a recommendation for grad school (which you are going to need eventually if you don't want to live as a faceless drone) you should save your money. "</p>

<p>Absolute nonsense. Not only do most large top tier schools have large co-op programs where you spend 9-12 months with a real engineering firm, they also have numerous teams that compete in the many engineering competitions. And lots of research work.</p>

<p>Engineering</a> Team Projects</p>

<p>Undergraduate</a> Engineering Research Opportunities</p>

<p>^yeah absolute nonsense. Would you rather work on a school project or work for a company that may hire you after college? Large schools have many connections with companies that will provide you with a year of work experience with a real engineering company. (Plus if you do a good job, there's a good chance they'll hire you which = not having to worry about getting a job after college)</p>