ISO urban, merit-awarding school for UNDECIDED son ‘25 [MD resident, 3.8 GPA, <$50k]

Hi @tsbna44 so glad you replied! I remember you helping with my elder son’s choices back in ‘19 and ‘20!

His unweighted GPA is a 3.8

He is focused on medium-sized schools (5k to 10k). Funny because he LOVED UVA even though it is a larger school in an area I don’t consider urban. On the other hand, he considered NC State too big - maybe it was the campus buses! I think there may be some fits with smaller schools of up to @ 3,000 kids or more.

We live in MD (MoCo more specifically, home of probably 60% of MD’s college-bound kids!)

We’d like to keep all-in expenses to no more than $50k per year, hopefully at a school without regular 5% increases!

He’s expressed no weather or sports preferences. He’s a pretty easy going kid. He has expressed a preference for a diverse environment (his BFF are a mix of races). I’ve told him that while we will look for colleges with that diversity, he is unlikely to find a place like his HS and MS, which both have a large population of Black and 1st Gen Dreamer kids from well educated, successful professional families.

I should also add he’s a bit unconventional. He’s an atheist, though he was raised in the Episcopal church. We had to really quiz him on why he wanted to go to a Catholic HS, and ensured he would be respectful to others and during Religious classes. Turns out Religion has been his favorite subject!

Thank you for asking and for your thoughts!

2 Likes