I've been losing sleep over this - UCSC for 34k, UDub for 51k or URochester for 57k?

@austinmshauri No, that number is yearly, not total. I would contribute 15k/year (in addition to my parents’ 35k) and I think I’ll be able to graduate in 3.5 years so my parents are willing to pay a bit more per year. I’ve done the math and it works out to 2.8k/year in loans (yes, I’m using the federal subsidized loan).

The 15k is a merit scholarship so it’s guaranteed for 4 years, regardless of income

@pleasgod But being a transfer is a problem because you won’t be eligible freshman scholarships. I don’t know that for CS that UMs easier to transfer to. UM is a top school for CS. Did you read that it was easy to transfer for that?

If you get a guaranteed spot in CS, take a good look at Maryland – will you know before May 1st?

@gearmom CS isn’t impacted at UMD for some reason. You’re right that there are less scholarships available to transfers. The average GPA is 3.4 and I have a 4.0 + I’ve completed all of the prereqs so I have a good chance

@pleasgod You can always choose one of the other schools and melt if UM comes in at a good price after May1. You’ll be a entering as a sophomore right?

@AroundHere I think so but it will be hard to fly out and visit before May 1st. My main reservation about this school is how far it is—I’m willing to travel that far for Rochester because I love so many things about it but I struggle to see what UMD can give me that UCSC can’t

UMD is a FAR FAR better school for CS than UCSC. It is really a top CS school. Top 25 for sure.

I wouldn’t enroll at UW if you haven’t been admitted as a CS major. You may have to transfer to get into a CS program, and transfers generally don’t get much aid.

Check each college to see if they’ll accept your credits. I work at a college and I’ve seen quite a few transcripts. Credits taken during high school are sometimes accepted, but not always.

@gearmom Yes, I’ll be a sophomore. I guess looking at it, a $300 or so deposit isn’t too bad to lose when you’re paying $50k/year to attend :confused:

@pleasgod You are greatly undervaluing UM. Post back after your acceptance.

@austinmshauri I’ve read both schools transfer/dual credit policies in their entirety several times and it looks like they’ll probably take them

@gearmom thanks for helping me realize this. I’ll post back once I get my decision

@pleasgod Rochester financially rejected you anyway. You’re close to full cost. UM would only be for 3 years. Even full pay that would be a deal. Easy flight.

U Maryland CS is top-notch - as good as UW or near there.
Based on what you wrote if you take the federal loans + what you’ve earned as a developer + your parents’ contribution, they’re all affordable.
So, the top two choices based on strength of CS, fit, direct admit, and cost, would be URochester and UMaryland.

@gearmom I haven’t heard from Maryland yet :confused: I’ll call them tomorrow

Now Rochester costs 54k (they upped my scholarship after an appeal) and I loved UW when I visited. In addition, I know UCSC doesn’t have music facilities or maker spaces like UW and Rochester do which is pretty important to me. But I visited UCSC again and I did like the campus and its proximity to home. IDK, I’m leaning more towards UCSC but I just feel like I’d be missing out on connections and opportunities by going there.

I have to decide tonight – just realized it’s pretty close to midnight east coast time.

How hard is it for your family to pay another 80,000 over four years for your expensive options?

@AroundHere I’m going to be bearing a lot of that but we’ve talked about it and they’re willing to pay more if it means I get better opportunities later. We will both have to cut spending and not travel (I love traveling so this is not a light decision for me). It’s also more like 65k over 3.5 years, not 80

65K is a lot of student loans. Go to your less expensive option.

@pleasgod How much is URoch?

@gearmom $54k/year * 3.5 years

@AroundHere I’ve been working and I have a decent job so it’s more like $10k in loans for UR/UW vs. having $5-10k in extra money to save/spend each year at UCSC