<p>Wow. So time to ignore. Thanks for the info.</p>
<p>younghoss, I guess I can see some of the logic there. I suppose a tenant could always lie about their next address and use either a friend’s or family member’s as a place for a check to be sent.</p>
<p>Personally, if I had a very toxic relationship with a previous landlord I wouldn’t want them to know where I’m renting from next out of fear they might try to interact with my current one.</p>
<p>your paragraph 2 makes sense, though in my 20 yrs experience as a LL, I have found that reason rarely occurs. In my experience, people have rarely chosen to waive a claim for return of security deposit by withholding new address because the previous LL had been a “toxic relationship”. I hope you agree “The LL should not have to hire a detective to locate the tenants new address” to send the security deposit</p>
<p>Far and away, in my experience, if a tenant has withheld his new mailing address it is because he knows he owes money and does not want to be contacted.</p>