Last minute trip to California - away from it all near San Jose??

<p>There is a GREAT B and B in Santa Clara…Madison Street Inn. You would need to rent a car when driving from the San Jose Airport. But from Mountainview…your DD can easily take the train right to the center if Santa Clara (or to any number of places actually). </p>

<p>If you stayed in Santa Clara, you could drive to any number of places…and it should be pretty quiet in. The summer.</p>

<p>If you’re doing VRBO, you might consider looking in Aptos, a charming little beach town just south of Santa Cruz. Some of the beachfront owners rent out their places. Aptos is about an hour’s drive south of Mountain View. You’d have the beach, and the redwoods (Forest of Nisene Marks), and you could eat at the fantastic Gayles.</p>

<p>Santa Clara is centrally located, but it’s just another sprawling suburb amidst other suburbs in the middle of Silicon Valley. You’d have to get in a car to do anything. </p>

<p>If you stay in Silicon Valley (in Santa Clara, for example) and you want to see redwoods, I don’t suggest driving all the way up to Muir Woods. Just head over the hill to Big Basin. Driving through San Francisco and over the Golden Gate Bridge is always a nuisance, and there are plenty of redwoods south of the Golden Gate.</p>

<p>CF…agreed. Santa Clara is part of the urban area. But this B and B is quite charming and nice. And the accessibility is there. To be honest, unless they stay on the beach or in the mountains…they are going to need to drive regardless of where they stay.</p>

<p>Thats 2 votes for big basin. Mentioned it upthread.</p>

<p>Sure… but if you live in Mountain View, you don’t want to vacation in Santa Clara. Madison Street B&B looks like a good choice for a parent visiting a child at Santa Clara University, but I wouldn’t recommend it for a parent/child getaway for a child who lives in Mountain View.</p>

<p>For a local getaway, a B&B or VRBO in Half Moon Bay, Montara or Moss Beach might work. On the coast side of the coast range, you’re never far from a redwoods park or the Pacific.</p>

<p>I am looking for a vacation rental but have had no luck as of yet.</p>

<p>I appreciate all the suggestions, I am following up on all of them!</p>

<p>Also try Felton, Boulder Creek and Ben Lomond, tiny mountain towns just on the edge of Big Basin Redwoods State Park. They’re right in the redwoods and not far from the beach.</p>

<p>Big basin is dark! It has a lot of trees and is in a valley. If you can rent in Bonny Doon, you would be in sunshine most likely.</p>

<p>Of course Big Basin is dark. It’s a forest. Redwood forests are delightfully cool and dark.</p>

<p>But note that beachfront rentals are also likely to be dark. In July, the coast is often foggy and cold.</p>

<p>CF…my impression was that the PARENT is looking for a place to stay while vacationing. It would make no sense for the Mountain View kid to stay in Santa Clara.</p>

<p>Wherever you hike in the coastal area, beware of poison oak. It is literally everywhere in the woods.</p>

<p>Okay, I’m committed! Found a vacation rental in Point Reyes, bought my ticket and I am going!</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>

<p>Great choice. You have your choice of hiking in Point Reyes National Seashore, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, or up on Mount Tamalpais. In Point Reyes Station, I recommend the Bovine Bakery, and check out Cowgirl Creamery (Red Hawk cheese is to die for, and you can watch them making it).</p>

<p>I sure hope so! I will be in a middle seat both ways on the flight from Boston!</p>

<p>Thanks Cardinal Fang, we will be sure to check out your suggestions, especially as we do like cheese.</p>

<p>Yikes. Safe flight and skinny seatmates ti you. :smiley: Try to get a better set at check-in! Have fun!!</p>

<p>BunsenBurner, at least the flight was cheap! And I wasn’t willing to pay $80 for a better seat.</p>

<p>Point Reyes is beautiful. Every hike I take there is lovely. I second Cowgirl Creamery. You should also make sure to get oysters somewhere–I like Drake’s Bay Oyster Co, but there are a few good places in the area. You can shuck your own or get them on the half shell.</p>

<p>Fendrock, in addition to C Fang’s excellent suggestions, the Station House Cafe is very good, as well as Osteria Stellina. If you love oysters, Hog Island Oysters on Tomales Bay is great. You can also kayak on Tomales. Check out the Point Reyes Lighthouse.<br>
And if you like cheese…try the Marin/Sonoma Cheese Trail for tours, tastings.
<a href=“http://cheesetrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Cheese_map_2page_2013.pdf”>http://cheesetrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Cheese_map_2page_2013.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;