Hi everyone! FYI, I’m a current sophomore, so it is a little early, but I definitely want to get a head start at looking at schools because there’s a couple opportunities in my area to audition for some of these colleges next year as a junior.
Demographics
- US domestic student
- VA
- Rural medium large public (300-400 kids per grade)
- No hooks
Cost Constraints / Budget
This is what’s worrying me. I’ll likely have only one parent contributing to college, but since I think both will count for financial aid, the chances of need-based aid are practically zero. So scholarships would be great, but I still want to apply to colleges that may be a reach financially just in case we make something work.
Intended Major(s): Double major in Neuroscience and either Vocal Performance or Musical Theater (I’m interested in pursuing research on music therapy in medicine)
GPA, Rank, and Test Scores
- Unweighted HS GPA: 4.27 on a 4.3 scale
- Weighted HS GPA: 4.57 on a 4.3 scale
- Class Rank: School only does top 5%, 10% and 20%, was in top 5% last year
- ACT/SAT Scores: None taken, PSAT 1370 this past year
List your HS coursework
- English: Honors English 9 (A+), Honors English 10 (projected A+), AP Lang (11), AP Lit (12)
- Math: Algebra 1 (A+), Geometry (A+), Honors Algebra 2/Trig (A), AP Precalc (projected A), AP Calc BC (11), AP Stats (12)
- Science: Honors Biology (A+), Honors Chemistry (projected A+), AP/DE Bio (projected A), AP Chem (11), DE Physics (12)
- History and social studies: Honors Intro to World History (A+), AP Human Geography (projected A+), APUSH (11), AP US Gov (12), AP Comp Gov (12)
- Language other than English: Latin 1 (A+), Latin 2 (A+), Latin 3 (A+), Latin 4 (projected A+)
- Visual or performing arts: Theater 1 (A+), Honors Treble Choir (A+), Honors Mixed Choir (projected A+), Honors Small Group Mixed Choir (hopefully 11-12)
- Other academic courses: DE Science Research 1 (11), DE Science Research 2 (12), AP Psych (11), AP Music Theory (12)
Awards
- Top award of a health sciences research summer program for research project
- 1st at VA History Day for neuroscience history-related research project
- Superior for Musical Theater Solo at Virginia Thespian Festival
- 1st in a statewide youth vocal competition for musical theater
- All-District Choir + All-State Choir
- 1st at a regional debate tournament
- 1st at a regional speech tournament in Extemporaneous Speaking
- Gold Presidential Volunteer’s Service Award
- Currently working on Girl Scout Gold Award
Extracurriculars
- Participated in summer healthcare research program at a local university, won top award of the program for neuroscience-related project, invited to return for the academic year program as a peer mentor/research fellow, duties with that include giving lectures and providing personalized support to students
- Participated in neuroscience summer program, attended lectures, wrote a mock research grant proposal for a study analyzing music’s impact on emotions
- President of neuroscience club at school
- Member of the teen advisory group for a national organization dedicated to a health condition I have
- Member of extracurricular school acapella group, as well as the advanced ensemble of a community choir
- Thespian Honor Society member, participate in school musicals as well as community youth group shows, will be a VA Thespian Officer for the upcoming year
- Several selective musical theater summer intensives, including one at a local Tony-Award winning professional theater
- Girl Scouts, volunteering as a camp counselor every summer, currently working on Gold Award relating to the connection between music and medicine
- Member of pre-professional tap dance company that tours nationwide
- Debate Team + Speech Team
Essays/LORs/Other
Don’t really know about these yet, I’ve been told I’m a strong writer but idk how well that will translate into my college essays. I definitely already have a few teachers in mind that I think could write good letters of rec.
Schools
The problem with trying to chance myself here is difficult because some of these schools are more selective artistically than academically, or the other way around, so I just made a list of the schools I’m currently looking at (in no particular order) and would like input as to other colleges that may fit what I’m looking for. I’d like a balanced list of schools for selectivity, but would prefer their academics and music/theater programs to be among some of their strongest. Location wise, I’d like to stay in the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic/Midwest, but would definitely be open to suggestions if a particular school somewhere else is a really good fit. In the list below, I’ve specified the major combo I’d be most interested in at the college.
- Yale (Neuroscience and Theater/Dance/Performance Studies)
- NYU Steinhardt (Neural Science and Vocal Performance: Musical Theater)
- Northwestern (Neuroscience and Vocal Performance with the Musical Theater Certificate track)
- Johns Hopkins (Peabody Dual Degree Neuroscience and Vocal Performance)
- UMich (Neuroscience and Musical Theater)
- URochester (Neuroscience and Vocal Performance)
- Oberlin (Neuroscience and Music Theater)
- McMaster (Canada, Honors Psych, Neuroscience, and Behavior with a specialization in Music Cognition)
- JMU (Neuroscience and Vocal Performance: Musical Theater)
- UNC Chapel Hill (Neuroscience and Vocal Performance)
- Columbia (Neuroscience and Vocal Performance, hopefully taking classes through their Julliard program)
I know I need way more safeties/targets. Any suggestions (or chances for the schools I’ve listed) would be greatly appreciated!