Match me/Looking for Advice as a low stat (3.3 uw, 1300 sat) TX junior interested in humanities [top ~25-30% rank, $0 parent contribution, parent income ~$60k]

Presumably you are seeing by now that it is very hard to “chance” a student with a profile like yours. Even once we see the outcome of your application process (which I really do hope you’ll share with us!), it won’t really prove that anyone giving advice here was “right” or “wrong”… because in the overall “pool” of students with profiles like yours - profiles that have blemishes but also show strength and potential - the entire range of outcomes will occur, and who lands where comes down to the perceptions of AO’s, which you’re able to influence to some extent but not entirely control.

The lesson, and the challenge, is that you’ll need to approach this process with more than one frame of reference in your head, and you’ll need to sustain that cognitive dissonance over the coming year. Everyone needs to “hope for the best but prepare for the worst” - it’s just that the disparity between the best and worst outcomes for you is a lot wider than for most.

I think Publisher is right that you have a chance at some of the most competitive schools in the country, especially if you can become a Questbridge finalist. Is it likely that you’ll end up at a Princeton/Yale type school? No, but it’s not foolish to try. There is enough evidence that you have the “chops” for such a school if they decide to bet on you.

Is it possible that your only affordable path will be either a full ride at a less-competitive school like Prairie View, or a CC-to-UT pathway in-state? Yes, it could turn out that way, and it wouldn’t be the end of the world - you could be successful that way too.

And in between, there’s the whole range of competitive-but-not-ultra-competitive schools, and the question of whether one or more will hit the sweet spot of admitting you with enough financial support to be a viable option. (Within that category, yet very different from most, is Berea, which I still feel could be a fantastic option for you… and while acceptance isn’t a slam-dunk in any way, my gut says that you’re the kind of student they’re looking for.)

The problem you face here is that you have to narrow such a wide field down to a manageable number of actual applications. You can’t realistically “shotgun” all of the tippy-top schools, and apply to all of the good moderately-competitive choices, AND apply to every competitive full-ride scholarship at otherwise less-competitive universities. So, how can you develop a balanced list without foreclosing on opportunities that might have ended up being “the one?”

The first fork in this decision tree will be how your Questbridge applications turn out, as that will substantially shape your overall strategy. But even if you become a Questbridge finalist, you’ll need to narrow down. Lots of QB applicants just apply to the 15 “top” schools on that list, but that’s why so many don’t match. What I usually suggest to QB applicants is that they divide the overall list into thirds, by acceptance rate, and pick the five best-fit schools in each category to build their overall list of 15 match schools. Ideally, if you find reasons to see a fit between yourself and those schools, the AO’s will see fit too, and your chances of scoring a full-ride acceptance won’t be substantially less than if you could apply to all the partner schools.

If QB doesn’t work out, then you’ll need a different strategy - possibly identifying both ED1 and ED2 schools where you see the best fit and the NPC projects affordability, plus applying EA wherever possible to the other schools on your list (including Berea) and identifying the best scholarships to shoot for at the Prairie View type schools, and also an in-state housing plan if starting out in community college ends up being your best option.

It’s a lot. It’s good that you’re starting early and getting lots of advice. Yes, a lot of the advice seems to conflict, but none of it is wrong; it just reflects the reality of the challenging split mindset you’ll need to maintain. Hopefully those of us commenting here can acknowledge this reality and avoid debating the unprovable.

To follow up on previous points:

Sorry you’re dealing with preferential treatment between sibs; that is tough. I understood that your folks were giving you financial info to work with currently. My concern was whether they will continue to file FAFSA forms for you over your entire four years of college, after you are “kicked out.” Are you confident that they will? Even Berea requires the FAFSA to be filed every year, in addition to qualifying financially in the initial admission process.

Yes, it requires a PhD intention (which could be an MD/PhD) but of course that isn’t enforceable; I’m sure not every student in the cohort goes on to a PhD program. Many students who express a premed intention at this stage in the game do not end up going on to med school; you could end up going to grad school for sociology, AFAM studies, public health - who knows? I know a student in this program whose interests were similar to yours going in. That said, some of your reservations about Howard have been confirmed by their experiences there. The full ride is great, as are the research and internship opportunities, so it might be worth having in the mix even if it isn’t your preferred outcome… but it’s also fine if it doesn’t make the cut for you. Just seemed worth running up the proverbial flagpole. I don’t think Spelman has scholarships this generous, but I could be wrong. (Spelman does have a great domestic exchange program; if you end up at a generous PWI, an exchange semester at Spelman may be an option to consider if the school interests you.) I agree that you have a great chance of getting into Spelman, but I’m skeptical that the financial support would be sufficient.

Good luck with the QB College Prep Scholars process; will be great if that works out! Keep looking into the entire range of schools that are being suggested, and try to get a sense of what really resonates with you, because it’s those sometimes-intangible “fit factors” that will narrow down your list and hopefully help to channel where AO’s will see fit as well.

5 Likes

Yes and yes, I would still highly encourage applying for the match even if you don’t become a CPS! The application is quite similar, a lot of the information carries over, but there are definitely significant differences with extracurricular and essay sections; for the Match there is a personal statement (same prompt as CPS, but probably you’ll want to write a new essay), a 400-word essay with 3 prompt choices, and a 200 or 250 word (I don’t remember which) essay about an EC, as well as 6 or 7 35 word short answer prompts. If you look on reddit or online or something you can probably find a breakdown of the application prompts etc. It’s definitely a more extensive application than the common app with a lot more writing but there is actually less space for ECs than the common app, so be thinking about your top 5 ECs and how you can continue to make an impact in those over the summer (there are separate sections for paid work and family responsibilities, so the 5 ECs is just for more standard in/outside of school activities). It’s definitely worth it to apply for the match even if you don’t get selected for CPS, but CPS gives you a little more information and resources about the Match.

I would definitely recommend applying for the Colllege Essay Guy matchlighters program, as I think the only requirement is being low income and they’ll match you with a counselor pretty quickly so you could have that guidance over the summer (check deadlines/application round dates on the website but it’s a very good opportunity Matchlighters Program 2025 ). Good luck with everything!

5 Likes

By the way, I thought I’d share this post about Xavier and the link provided within it:

6 Likes

If you are interested in pre-med, want a small school in a low cost of living town apply to Austin College in Sherman TX. You will get better experience than many large research universities. They have great pre-med advising and lots of opportunity for clinical hours. That said I would try to start getting that experience now even if it’s hospital volunteer. I would also reconsider the major from Humanities - go Biology. I’m sorry your parents aren’t supportive of your goals - don’t let their lack of ambition thwart yours. Chart your own path - be confident. It’s a great day to have very limited resources when applying for college!

3 Likes

Correct - 5%

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendation. I’m likely keeping my intended majors though because I have no extracurriculars that match biology, and I’m not passionate about that major enough to write good essays on it.

1 Like

Thank you! Do you know when the matchlighter applications open? The link says it’s for 2025.

I would love to have her contact information, are you able to message me?

There’s no normal French 4, but I might take AP French. I just need to study a little over the summer because I took French 3 in sophomore year. We have normal Physics 1 and then the AP version. The AP Physics 1 teacher does not teach at all from what my friends are saying. If Physics C is too hard then I’ll be able to drop it, but I don’t know if that’ll hurt me on college applications. And yea, I’m not going to apply to a lot of reaches. Maybe I’ll do 5 reaches and then 10 target/safety schools.

In addition to Matchlighters, some other organizations provide HS seniors with college application assistance:

-College Possible Texas (I think you must attend one of the partner HSs) College Possible Texas - College Access and Success

-Cafe College in San Antonio https://cafecollege.org/

-ScholarMatch Destined for College

You might talk with your HS counselor if they know about any other college access organizations. Some Texas HSs partner with College Advising Corps for example.

3 Likes

I’m not completely sure, you can email the Matchlighters team; I remember I applied in August but I thought there was a round with the deadline in June or something like that, so I would just ask them!

1 Like

Since the AP Physics C teacher is your current precalculus teachers ask him/her what percentage of the class is currently taking precalculus and which percentage is currently taking calculus. If most are taking precalculus, it means a/he won’t assume calculus knowledge and will teach both calculus and Physics in class. If calculus is assumed b cause most of the class took AB this year, ask right now whether you can plan and schedule calculus support in relation to the physics C class.

Wrt med school, humanities majors actually do better than biology majors wrt admissions ceteris paribus. If you’re interested in other subjects and do very well in them plus do very well in science, that’s actually an advantage. (Being passionate about biology is not a problem of course but since that’s not you, you’re right to be doing what you’re interested in.)

4 Likes

I got an email a few days ago that Matchlighter applications are open! Good luck with all your college applications and I hope you’re able to get some good assistance from whatever programs you participate in!

Matchlighters Application for 2026-27: Interface Form - Airtable

3 Likes

How did you do on the SAT?

First post says 1300 but 790 R/W 510 math

Yes but they also said they retook it in March

1 Like

I got a 1540 (800 R&W and 740 Math) on the March one! I took the school day SAT last week, so hopefully I can get my math score up some more.

9 Likes

That’s pretty fantastic - from a 1300. I mean, fantastic to the point that this rarely happens.

That will help you some. Maybe not at Questbridge due to GPA but maybe try QB and look at Berea. And the meets need schools. I linked them below. Have your family fill out the NPC.

One student today posted a $4K contribution to Skidmore - so that stood out to me. They have such little merit I assume it was all need aid.

Congrats to you.

Here’s Every College That Offers 100% Financial Aid · PrepScholar

1 Like

Congratulations on the tremendous improvement! That’s a great score and you should be very proud of yourself.

Have you had a chance to check out any of the colleges/programs that folks have mentioned? If so, any likes or dislikes that have become apparent to you?

3 Likes

good work!

1 Like