Match me PLEASE! NYC, Female, Latino, 3.2 GPA, 1540 SAT, 4 year extracurricular, Mental health issue [<$10k from single parent]

Welcome to College Confidential, @Vi_moral!

For clarity, do you mean $10k for tuition or $10k towards college costs, inclusive of room & board?

Either way, this is your biggest constraint, not your GPA. There are many great colleges that I think are likely to accept you with your academic turnaround and SAT scores. The likelihood of them getting down to $10k if your family does not have significant financial need is extraordinarily slim, however. If you do not qualify for need-based aid, then you essentially need a full tuition scholarship, and then would need a loan to cover the remainder of the difference between the $10k and the cost of room and board.

But in looking back at your original post, it appears that your family is paying $20k/year for a sibling at a T20. That school probably uses the CSS, and many CSS schools (though not all) still consider multiple siblings in school, even though FAFSA-only schools do not. Essentially, make sure you run the NPC at every school under consideration.

Also, as @thumper1 mentioned, you can only take out a limited amount of loans before they need to be cosigned ($5500 freshman year, $6500 sophomore year, and $7500 for each of your last two years). And the co-signer would need to qualify for the loans every year that you’re taking them out.

I think that the SUNYs have a free application month…maybe in October? Keep a lookout and I would probably apply to all of them. You may end up being offered honors colleges or special programs at some but not others, and it’s always nice to have choice (and they may give out different levels of scholarships to try and entice you to attend). But I think that Geneseo and New Paltz should definitely get a closer look among the SUNYs for you.

I’ll second the Colleges That Change Lives schools. In particular, you may want to check out:

And I’m just going to stop, because there are so many you can consider (though I’ll second the suggestion of St. Olaf and mention College of Wooster as another one to get extra special consideration). Although the profiles are marketing material, I think they generally give a good sense of the college.

Okay, veering away from CTCL schools, some other place you may want to consider are:

  • Gustavus Adolphus (MN): About 1900 undergrads. I wrote this about it recently:
  • U. of the South (TN): About 1600 undergrads in a beautiful natural setting that’s a little under an hour from Chattanooga.

  • Lewis & Clark (OR): About 2100 undergrads

  • St. Lawrence (NY): About 1900 undergrads

  • Mount Holyoke (MA): A women’s college of about 2200 undergrads and part of a consortium with Amherst, U. of Massachusetts, and Smith

  • Trinity U. (TX): About 2500 undergrads in San Antonio. They’re trying to improve their national profile, which means that being from NY might be particularly attractive for them

  • Furman (SC): About 2400 undergrads.

  • Connecticut College: About 2k undergrads

5 Likes