MN school district gives teachers paid time to write recommendations

<p>Aren't many public school teachers also expected to pay out of their own pockets for supplies and materials too?</p>

<p>Where we live, private school teachers have a student load of about 50 to 60 students. Our public school teachers might have 175 to 225. There is just no way to compare the two, and of course, there are great public schools (not here) and poor private schools. </p>

<p>And Gardna, many teachers pay for supplies. That varies greatly and probably also depends on the teachers' spouses' incomes.</p>

<p>
[quote]
"A teacher can't say, 'Here's a letter, send it in to five places,'" he said. "If you're applying to Harvard or Yale, you have to have a top-notch letter of recommendation."

[/quote]

Hmm. Why not?</p>

<p>^^^Yes, I think they can write the same letter and send it to all the schools. That's how it was done at my kids' private school, and it was expected. There's no need for the teacher to individualize their comments for each school--that's the student's job.</p>

<p>I think compensation is a great idea, though. The public school teachers have so much more to deal with.</p>

<p>They get paid a heck of a lot more too. And they can always go to the private schools if they so please. They would just have to take a pay cut. Because of the pay differential, it is much more difficult to go the other way. So if you take the pay, you gotta do the work. I also see private school teachers at so many more school events than the public school crowd. The essays are corrected more thoroughly, etc, etc. All for less pay.</p>

<p>That's what I get for not actually reading the article... I didn't realize it was only one school district and not the state...</p>

<p><em>smacks head</em></p>