<p>mine is: mother of the bride dress, mother of the bride sale (must be for those whose mothers are a bit over the top) and pretty cocktail dresses</p>
<p>All I’m seeing is a Kayak ad for low airfares from Seattle
No pretty dresses.</p>
<p>For special occasion dresses I’ve generally done better in dress shops or boutiques than in the department stores. If you know the name of a manufacturer, you can look up where that line is sold locally. That usually leads to a list of stores in your area - which carry other similar lines as well. This is not necessarily a more expensive way to go - often alterations are included or less expensive than having them done elsewhere.</p>
<p>D’s favorite place for dresses is Cache. They have a lot of flashy junk (leopard prints, beads, etc.), but also carry some very classy pieces for the over 40 crowd.</p>
<p>When my D got married, I looked at all the traditional bridal shops and found nothing that I would wear. I ended up finding exactly what I wanted (actually more than one!) at Neiman Marcus. My final choice was beautifully made, fit well, was a good price, and I loved it. One piece of advice I’ll give regarding what you will wear as MOB. Be sure you choose something that’s comfortable and that fits well. It’s a long day and you want to look great all day long, be totally comfy with your outfit, and not be a mess of wrinkles for the photos.</p>
<p>My mom was able to go the a local designer’s store for her annual sale & use a gift credit she had left from returning a prior gift from dad to buy her GMOB dress. It was very elegant but understated & was perffect!</p>
<p>I agree that it’s good for us to be happy with whatever we choose to wear. Tasteful – of course, but don’t need to wear beige or something wholly invisible that we’ll never wear again. What would the point of that be? I suspect when it’s my turn, I’ll wear something tailored & elegant, since that is my general preference.</p>
<p>My add is H&R Block!</p>
<p>Beautiful, 3bm103!</p>
<p>No, I won’t wear beige. When I wear beige, I look like I was prepared for viewing by a very bad undertaker.</p>
<p>Mine was Interlochen School of Music…Now it is American Public University</p>
<p>I recently wore a teal knit pants suit from TravelSmith when I was MOG. It was perfect for the occasion because guests’ attire ranged from suits and ties to do rags, T shirts and jeans for the men and a striped sweater and casual slacks for the matron of honor and assorted other outfits on women. I had kind of figured that out and wanted to be somewhat in the middle. If I had worn what I’ve worn for some other family weddings I’d have been seriously overdressed.</p>