My Dad is threatening to cut me off because I don't want to be a doctor

<p>OP you sound like me when I started college. Are you paying your own bills? Add up how much your cell phone, car insurance (if you have one) ,gas, rent, food, utilities, and cable cost. Figure out how much you will make as a writing major. Your school should have some kind of salary survey from recent grads for you to look through.</p>

<p>I picked a worthless major (dietetics to become a dietitian). I have watched my friends make more money than me, have companies pay for their relocating costs when they land their first job and have to move, get stipends to buy new clothes, have flights paid for so their family and friends can come visit them when they are working out of state, etc, etc. I have also watched friends been forced to move out of their apartment because they can’t afford it and have to work at Starbucks because they can’t find work. </p>

<p>I too said I never wanted kids and never wanted to get married. I now view the world much differently at 23 then at 18. Majoring in something that does not lead to direct employment will make your life miserable in the coming years and severely limit your choices. </p>

<p>By the way, my successful friends all majored in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, food science, radiological health sciences, nursing, management, pharmacy, and chemical engineering. I would find salary surveys from your school and base your career decision based on that. Then, one day when you can afford it, return to school for writing.</p>