Nature outside your door - what you encourage and what you discourage

Same with the hostas and lilies I planted one day at the cabin. All gone the next. Neighbor told me I had planted a salad bar for the deer. :rofl:

6 Likes

My bergenias just flowered. You guessed it: the flowers lasted only a day.

I keep Christmas lights year round on the beautiful gold oriental spruce which was almost destroyed by the deer as soon as we planted it. The lights seem to keep the blasted deer away.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely no tulips. They don’t seem to eat the daffodils, luckily because I can see clumps of them around the perimeter of our property and they are so pretty.

I no longer put real plants in the pots outside my front door. Everything gets eaten. Even the marigolds eventually, when the deer get hungry enough.

2 Likes

We’ve been concerned because we haven’t seen any eagles. Well, they showed up today. Nesting season!

10 Likes

Put out the hummingbird feeders yesterday. First black chinned one tonight at sunset.

3 Likes

We have to be careful with hummingbird feeders. Because of the bears.

7 Likes

We also have a lot of bald eagles. Can’t go two minutes without seeing them or hearing them some times of the year, flying and dropping down to get their prey. Once I counted nine bald eagles flying from my back window, it was amazing. I used to hate them, because we had small dogs, but since our girls left us, I find them interesting again.

8 Likes

I think our record here is 12 on the beach at low tide. They peak in May.
Early summer when they train the young eagles to hunt makes for some interesting views.

6 Likes

Love seeing rabbits. Love seeing hawks overhead. Even appreciate the occasional coyote. Don’t like seeing the remains of the rabbits (mostly fur, but…)

3 Likes

I like seeing the rabbits in my yard, but they totally destroy the pumpkins I put out in the fall. My house has several steps in the front and the steps curve. I had visions of putting small pumpkins and gourds down the side of the steps ( like the ones you see on Pinterest) but the bunnies had other ideas.

7 Likes

We’ve seen a couple of rabbits occasionally but they never seem to last long.. I guess between the coyotes, foxes¡ bobcats, raptors…

2 Likes

Drove home last evening and saw a mule deer in my driveway
munching on my favorite mormon tea plant. Granted it is huge and is flowering. We had to wait until it decided to move so we could continue. I did not realize they ate them until after I looked it up. It’s not their favorite but will do when hungry.

2 Likes

We have a lot of average wildlife – deer, lotta birds (hawks to songbirds), chipmunks, rabbits, but the dang squirrels keep digging in my plants and are driving me crazy. I finally made a hardware screen cage around my succulents so they can’t get at them. I like squirrels and think they are cute and they are welcome to all the hickory nuts they want, but leave my plants alone!

3 Likes

D1 just sent me this from the woods between her house and her neighbors house in CT. D1 received a text from her neighbor that said mama bear and cubs in the woods.

8 Likes

There’s soon going to be a family of quail in our backyard. The mom and dad are living in our backyard. Saw them early this morning! Baby quail are SO CUTE!

9 Likes

Oh, this is awesome. We have a (flock? covey?) in our backyard and they are the cutest things running around, especially when they go all in a line along our patio!

5 Likes

Funny story - when D1 was in 6th grade she embarked on a science project that involved hatching eggs. The feed store threw in a few quail eggs for some unspecified reason and guess which hatched first ..
lots of baby quail running around the incubator! Had to move the hatchlings to the laundry room till we discovered how grubby everything becomes as they grow, so then we had to buy some land, make a chicken coop and that was the beginning of our farming adventure! (Which expanded to include ducks, sheep, horses etc. etc.!!!)

5 Likes

We have a wooded yard and there are many foxes in the area. We have a young dog, an 8 month old German Shephard.She barks furiously at the foxes while standing in the windows. At first the foxes were wary, but soon realized the dog couldn’t get at them. Now, the local foxes have been taunting her.They have been scent marking (with their feces) the low retaining wall around the front walk. If you remove their mark, they will re-mark the spot within a few hours. This morning a fox strolled up onto our deck outside the back kitchen door and urinated on the corner post of the deck while I standing there looking outside, having my morning cup of coffee.

9 Likes

Not that this is so amazing, but I took this about 5 min ago outside our front door.

10 Likes

so cool! what animal is it and is it using a water bowl?