New to world of college internships...Help me help my college D network to find summer internship

<p>Another site to check:
<a href=“http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Chemistry+Internships&l=”>http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Chemistry+Internships&l=&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Have her pop by the Alumni office too. They may have access to information about where the alumni work. She also could find out if there is an alumni Facebook page or LinkedIn group, and post her query there. </p>

<p><<
@mom2collegekids can you explain compensation for the summer REU ? Where did your kids live, where they in a campus dorm or an apartment? Where they paid enough to cover costs AND put some savings away to pay toward their next semester’s tuition</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Campus dorm, provided by the REU
You’ll have to look at each REU to see how much each pays…and how long the REU is. </p>

<p>There is often a travel allowance as well.</p>

<p>The student really only pays for food, but if you were going to feed your child anyway during the summer, then stock the dorm fridge for them to minimize food costs for your child.</p>

<p>I just looked at BU’s REU for chem and their financial info is rather standard for REU:</p>

<p>$5,000 Stipend, free on-campus housing provided as needed and partial travel reimbursement up to a minimum of $300! It’s just another reason why you should apply for BU REU this year.</p>

<p>Thank you to each of you for your suggestions. Will pass along and we will investigate all possibilities. Most of the REU sites don’t seem to be refreshed yet for Summer 2015, will keep checking back.</p>

<p>I haven’t seen any salary listed on the internship website listings we have checked. What is the going rate for a chemistry intern for a summer position? I know they will vary, but are we talking minimum wage, minimum wage + housing stipend, or could there be a $20/hour summer job out there for a chemistry major with a small amount of research experience?</p>

<p>I’d say some ChemE jobs might pay that much (or more for upperclassmen). Not sure about Chemistry. I tried looking in careerbuilder (advanced search, intern & chemistry). It does not show salary, but it can show some example kinds of jobs. Here’s just one (Corning) - <a href=“http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobseeker/jobs/jobdetails.aspx?sc_cmp1=js_jrp_jobclick&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=JHR54T74BGNTVBBV3JW&showNewJDP=yes&IPath=QAKV”>http://www.careerbuilder.com/jobseeker/jobs/jobdetails.aspx?sc_cmp1=js_jrp_jobclick&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=JHR54T74BGNTVBBV3JW&showNewJDP=yes&IPath=QAKV&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p><a href=“http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/chemistry-intern-salary-SRCH_KO0,16.htm”>http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/chemistry-intern-salary-SRCH_KO0,16.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>The local kids I know of were getting $18-20/hr for hands on lab work. No housing or other perks. That was in private companies. </p>

<p>Work in a national laboratory? <a href=“USAJOBS Help Center | Students & recent graduates”>USAJOBS Help Center | Students & recent graduates;

<p>Good news from the OP here…my D has gotten 2 positive responses so far to her intern applications. No offers yet, but it seems like she is working her way through the application pipeline at each place. We are excited that corporations are saying positive things about her resume of skills and experience.</p>

<p>Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.</p>

<p>I’m an NP and we do physicals for interns at General Mills. They go all over the country, and many have offers upon graduation</p>

<p>kandcsmom, I hope my D is able to travel to a new region of the country and experience summer life outside the south. The North/MidWest will seem more inviting for the summer months.</p>

<p>@‌ I am in Columbus but they go everywhere. This week’s talent are going to Arizona and Texas but they go to Michigan among other places. Came up quite easily with the google </p>

<p>D2’s major is related to oil and gas and other forms of energy. The big companies came to her school and spent about two weeks hosting dinners/meets and greets, etc., in preparation for interviews. Each student would apply on line for the opportunity to interview. Some got many invitations, some only a few, some none. D2 got 7 I think, and finally got offered an internship in a beautiful city far from her college town. She said it was one of the most stressful things she’s been through. She couldn’t help but feel the competition between herself and other kids in the program for these spots. She’s happy with her result, though. She will be making more per hour than I make as a nurse with two college degrees and 18 years of experience. Happy for her, but makes me realize how little I am paid.</p>

<p>I’m so glad her school set all this up, because I wouldn’t have had a clue how to proceed, other than having DH call everyone in the industry he knows to try to set something up somehow.</p>

<p>Does your kid’s school have any kind of similar setup where companies come to the school to try to entice the kids to look at them?</p>

<p>-ConAgra
-Tysons
-JW Smucker
-Johnsonville Sausage
-Schwan Food Company
-Nestle
-Schreiber Foods
-Dannon</p>

<p>That’s just from a cursory search of a food careers website</p>

Update on My D’s internship…She just called to say she got an internship with major food company for this summer. She did well researching a number of opportunities, including our state’s agricultural dept, which I would never have thought of. She worked independently and kept at it, and found a position that is going to give her actual hands on experience in quality control, not just shadowing and handling paperwork.

Thanks so much to each of you for your helpful suggestions. It was not easy to keep my hands off this process, it was another opportunity to let go and let her take ownership.

Congrats to her (and to the parents :slight_smile: )!

FYI - for students interested in summer bio or chem lab work, keep checking pharma and biotech sites! I just saw a couple of new ads on my local bio association site.