We discussed doing so, but with all the ECs, classes, and college apps, my mom thought it would be too much. I know others without a 36 get a full ride to OSU, so I think if I apply to the right scholarships, I should be okay.
I ran the NPC for Cornell and UPenn, and they were both around 10,000 and year. UNC was 25,000, so I think I will still apply there.
Questbridge is also still an option, and my counselor said he could refer me, so I might take that route.
Time is getting tight to complete the QB app, it’s due in about 30 days. The app is time intensive so you would need to get going.
Aside from needing to upload documents in a different system, there isn’t anything else a HS counselor has to do for QB. They don’t ’refer’ students to QB.
Separately, you said above that your dad is incarcerated. Being incarcerated is not an automatic exemption from completing financial aid forms including CSS Profile. So, you will need to file an NCP waiver with each CSS college you apply to. Generally I would expect that to be granted unless your dad has assets. Are your parents still married? Is your dad contributing financially to your household, even though he’s incarcerated?
No, he doesn’t have assets, nor is he contributing. I don’t think they are still married either. I have already started getting through the QuestBridge app, but I’ll look into getting the NCP waiver done.
I think it’s a waiver by college…for each you apply.
I see
If you are thinking Questbridge you need to get started ASAP, deadline is 10/1. You don’t need to wait for your counselor, just go to the website and start the app. It’s a lot of writing -so you would need to start the essays right away.
If Questbridge doesn’t pan out, I would recommend applying to a couple of in state safety options - like OSU and OU and then max out the common app with meets full need schools that would be affordable for you (make sure to run the NPC). Ivies will meet full need, but I would recommend some options that are less selective than Cornell or UPenn, like you mentioned above. These schools were on my daughter’s list and were all under the cost of OSU for us: Oberlin, Denison, Franklin & Marshall, Lehigh, Wake Forest, Wesleyan, Colgate, Dickinson. There are many more, I believe someone above posted a link to schools that meet full need. Be prepared to write a LOT of essays, but it is well worth the payoff if it works out!
If you want an idea for a solid high match/low reach school that is very strong in Biochem, Zoology and Biology, I suggest UW-Madison. I noticed your list includes other large OOS publics with vibrant sports scenes, so UW would fit right in.
Also, the campus is bordered (north and south) by two lakes and has ample greenery (as part of an overall mix of city and park-like settings).
Except…most of those OOS large public universities won’t likely meet a $20,000 a year price point….which the OP mentioned later in the thread. And that includes Wisconsin. I’m not sure this OOS student could get their net cost down to $20,000 a year.
Ahhh – correct. It would be difficult.
Keep a spreadsheet
Run NPCs at as many as possible
OP should not wait to hear from QB before putting in these apps. OP, get them in for the early action round (OSU 11/1 deadline, OU 11/15).
QB finalists are announced 10/21, match day is 12/1.