Oh yes, that is a very good read. I do tend to get it mixed up with The Book Of Lost Friends by Lisa Wingate, which is also a wonderful book.
Through the looking glasses - Travis Elborough
Non-fiction that has you gripped. Very, very easy to read. Funny and you learn something. Will definitely read again - not giving it away. Hubby also really enjoyed it.
Best book I’ve read in ages and would highly, highly recommend it. (which I am doing now)
Thanks for the recommendation. Is it a new book? I don’t find that title/author at my library or Thriftbooks website.
Yes, fairly newish. I wouldn’t expect it in a secondhand shop yet. Libraries should be sooner - depending on the size. Keep an eye open for it ![]()
Not available at my library. Not even on the ordered list.
Just finished Pachinko by Min Jin Lee. Highly recommended. Has been turned into a series on Apple TV+.
@dentmom4 Mystery solved – this book is only published in the UK and isn’t available for sale in the US. I don’t think the North American rights have been acquired. If you can find it in the US, it’s probably a UK edition.
I can buy it on Amazon
@LostInTheShuffle Pachinko: that’s a great book.
I’m almost certain that it’s a UK edition–no US publisher, not listed in the Library of Congress catalog, so unlikely that a US library would buy it. A UK publisher probably won’t market to US libraries, even if there isn’t a rights issue. I did a thorough search, it’s published by Little Brown UK.
I thought Pachinko was a really interesting book. We had a good discussion of it for the CC Bookclub. https://talk. .com/t/pachinko-june-cc-book-club-selection/1990172I’ll have to remember to look into it once we’ve finished one of the series we are currently watching.
Ah, UK book - thanks for solving the mystery.
NOTE - I had looked at Thriftbooks because I happen to use that Wishlist for my next-book ideas (it has good deal on shipping, especially if I combine books to get over $15). Despite its misleading name, Thriftbooks includes current titles. For example, it has “True Biz” (new this month) which I’ll order for another book club if I don’t get off my library Hold list soon enough.
Sorry, have I thrown a spanner in the works putting up an ‘UK’ published book? Just assumed that it was ‘worldwide’.
My tip to publishers in the US - snap it up!
There is no UK bias as it takes in the history of ‘cheaters’ - an American slang word that I learned from the book - and there are many, many references from around the world - the US being one, as there are many ‘cheater’ wearers in the US.
Keep an eye open - you will not be disappointed.
“Wrench” for the benefit of the Yanks. ![]()
Amazon has five copies of Through the Looking Glass by Elborough. $24.29.
There are a couple of kindle books on sale today that I haven’t read but are only $2.
The Soul of America: The Battle for Our Better Angels by Jon Meacham
I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t): Making the Journey from”What Will People Think?” to “I Am Enough” by Brene Brown
I’ve heard her on podcasts but haven’t read any of her books.
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel was fantastic!
Just read Sea of Tranquility also and really enjoyed it - if you like time travel it is a must read
Just finished West with Giraffes. It is well-researched and on the heart-warming end of story telling. I found it a little too contrived, but enjoyed it nevertheless.
Glad to hear Sea of Tranquility was good – I loved Station Eleven (and the show) but hated The Glass Hotel.
reading Crying in H Mart… crying a lot, myself..l