One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

Excellent, thank you. I have The Splendid and the Vile (in good old hardback taking up space on my shelf, haha) but haven’t read any of the others, though I have at least heard of a couple of them.

1 Like

Ah - I had been meaning to read this then forgot about it. Thanks, also added to list!

2 Likes

Oh - talking about NF, one of my favorites ever was Fermat’s Last Theorem by Simon Singh - years back - I just recently discovered he’d written another book calledThe Code Book, about cryptography, and now have a copy - yet to read but a friend who’s read it already says it’s excellent.

4 Likes

Putting those on my list, thanks!

1 Like

I love it when people recommend titles here! If a title sounds interesting and is available at my library, I add to one of “lists” there (I have on fiction, one NF). If especially excited about it I might try to add to my Holds, but there is limit of 8 titles so usually full… and darn, it’s funny how they become available in bunches (luckily there is a was to freeze holds).

7 Likes

A friend of mine calls that “managing the queue”.

1 Like

Bringing this back to college, my son listed The Code Book in one of those college application essay short responses. I have never seen it mentioned anywhere before. It is probably up on his bookshelf in his room, but I have never been tempted to read it.

I am guessing that he has also read Fermat’s Last Theorem. It sounds as though you and he share interests.

1 Like

Fermat’s Last Theorem is utterly engaging regardless of any other interest in math imo.

1 Like

I usually read on the kindle app but for that book I’ve requested it from the library in hard copy. I will pick it up this week.

2 Likes

I should correct my post. I didn’t mean you need a hardcopy as the e-book works just as well for the photos. I meant that you don’t want to miss the pictures which an audiobook can’t supply.

1 Like

To be fair - although I didn’t get that far - the intro to the audio book says they have audio recordings of particular events as part of it.

1 Like

I just finished Lily King’s Heart the Lover this afternoon. I thought it was good the first half, but realized it was superb (at least for me) the second half. It’s a fairly short book (my Kindle said 188 pages) and I love a good tearjerker from time to time.

4 Likes

That’s really cool. I was inspired to YouTube some of the speeches along the way and also to Google for images of some of the people I didn’t have a mental picture of.

1 Like

I put the Correspondent on my Hold list and Libby said 3 weeks (which would have been perfect as I’m going on a beach vacation in 30 days). Nope, showed up the next day. Then I went on and looked for An Unfinished Love Story and couldn’t find it, but waited a few days and it was available immediately.

So now I have two books to finish before my vacation.

7 Likes

I finished The Correspondent last night. I really enjoyed it, moreso because the correspondent is close to my age.

7 Likes

Also finished The Correspondent during the snowstorm yesterday. Thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

If you use a Kindle to read Libby books with you can download and stay on airplane mode and it won’t return the book when it’s due - I mean it returns but it doesn’t delete from your Kindle.

Additionally you can delay taking a book on your wait list that becomes available. I think it’s called a hold that you can “suspend” or “unsuspend” to sort of stay in line for when you’re ready. I wouldn’t wait to download until the day of your vacation but that would get you closer to your week you’re leaving!

5 Likes

I have used the airplane mode hack a few times! Just don’t forget you need to switch before going into the kindle app.

1 Like

After finishing the book, I found another by the author already on my Kindle. I haven’t read it all but I’m enjoying it. What may be of some interest to some CC parents is that the main character’s mom was adopted from China and lost both American parents in a car crsh when she was in her 20s. A double orphan. Here’s a gift link to a NYT review. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/28/books/review/goodbye-vitamin-rachel-khong.html?unlocked_article_code=1.HlA.HK8b.tgqRtqGulL73&smid=url-share

2 Likes

Learning this was a game-changer for me.

4 Likes