One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

I do wonder if it became a hit….with a younger crowd - hope that wasn’t an “ouch”! You know, maybe it hits different for a 30-40 year old where social media has been a regular fixture in most of their life.
(I haven’t read it yet - just do see SO much discussion and praise for it - someone likes it!)

Sometimes I like a book that gets me in the zone. You know, where you forget you’re reading and just absorb the story. Yesteryear did that for me (and apparently other people.)

2 Likes

I have read almost half of Fire, Sword, and Sea by Vanessa Reily. It’s not a book that I’d gravitate toward (although I do like historical fiction). This book is about pirates, and it’s based on the life of a real female pirate who lived and sailed in the Caribbean in the 1600s. I knew nothing about this time period and it is fascinating. The author (who has a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering from Standford) has done an amazing job of immersing the reader into this world.

4 Likes

Currently reading The Calamity Club by Kathryn Stockett, author of The Help. I am loving it!!

4 Likes

Interesting books!

I just finished Heart the Lover by Lily King - a love triangle among English majors in college and revisiting them 20 years later. Simply written but so evocative and touching.

6 Likes

Just finished Whistler by Ann Patchett. She never disappoints!

Like Tom Lake, it involves revisiting the past and trying to make sense of it, but it’s a very different story. The protagonist meets her stepfather who was banished from their lives at age 9 by her mom. It has been more than 40 years since they have seen each other, and they proceed to rebuild their relationship-- which had been quite strong and also involved a dramatic, intense event.

It is a beautiful story and beautifully written. It touches on many themes that will resonate with those on this thread, especially because of our time of life. Choices made for us, purpose and retirement, being true to oneself, our stories, family, loss, grace, etc.

The only downside is that it’s a fast read, and you’ll be done with it in a flash.

10 Likes

I am so mad about myself because Patchett recently did an event in my area and I waited too long to get a ticket and it sold out. Would have adored seeing her speak in person.

I am on the waitlist for Whistler. She’s such an amazing writer.

5 Likes

I also missed out on a Patchett event recently, @garland. I had knee surgery on May 12 and foolishly thought I would be up to attend the book launch on 5/31 here in Nashville. Bought 5 tickets (very cheap) for our group of friends that had seen her launch Tom Lake here in 2023 back in February. I had to give up my ticket and let the group invite another book loving friend, but they did bring me a book which I finished earlier this week and our group has been texting about it - all raves. It was a fast read, as mentioned by @gardenstategal , and a delightful one. I recorded an interview AP did with David Rubenstein for America’s Book Club on C-Span and am planning on watching it this afternoon or over the weekend.

5 Likes

Oh so sorry about the knee surgery and missed event! I can’t wait to read this book.

1 Like

I did get to see Ann Patchett last weekend at a book festival in MA. She was one of the featured authors; her event, where she talked about Whistler (and other literary topics) was packed.

Later, she interviewed Patrick Ryan (an author and good friend of Patchett’s) who has a new book (Buckeye). Their conversation centered on writing (they first met at writer’s residency in New Hampshire)and literature. I already had purchased Whistler; after their conversation, I bought a copy of Ryan’s book (and got it autographed).

6 Likes

My hunch is that you will enjoy Buckeye. She was touting it on her FB page (which made me buy it!), and it was a very engaging read.

5 Likes

My library had a number of ebook copies of Whistler available as part of their summer book bingo, so I grabbed one. Looking forward to reading it.

2 Likes

What IS book bingo? I’ve never heard of it.

It’s an adult summer reading program. Different categories & you fill in titles and authors as you read. “Complete a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line! Turn in your card and you’ll be entered into a drawing for a special Book Bingo prize. Complete all 25 squares! Turn in your card and you’ll be entered in a drawing for one of three grand prizes—including a Seattle Arts & Lectures subscription to 4 free events of your choice in the 2026/27 season.”

3 Likes

Many libraries have an adult summer reading program with a bingo or similar structure.

5 Likes

I finished Whistler last night, I decided to buy the kindle book rather than wait for Libby–a little gift to myself.

What a wonderful book! I have enjoyed every book by her. I recall an essay in the New Yorker about her two bachelor uncles who raised her, and another about decluttering–too much stuff!

A letdown especially after the wonderful NYC meetup.

9 Likes

I’m glad to hear all the rave reviews. I added it to my list after seeing it on BookBub, but wasn’t sure. Looks like it will be a winner.

1 Like

I put in a Notify Me request for Whistler on Libby when I first heard about it and my library didn’t have it yet. I saw the notification pop up on my phone last week and immediately requested it so I’m #2 on the waiting list! Unlike The Correspondent and Theo of Golden where I’m still way down on the list despite requesting many weeks ago. I’m scrolling quickly past posts about all three until I read them. I could purchase copies, but I also have a big virtual pile of ebooks and physical pile of books from the Library Friends used book sale that I want to read.

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to the audiobook version of Whistler which is narrated by Ann Patchett and have really been enjoying it.

I follow her bookstore account on TikTok and have always thought she reminded me of the librarians who used to read stories out loud to my class when I was in elementary school. Listening to her narrate the book totally brings me back to my youth. I listen to a lot of audiobooks with professional narrators but there is something different about her voice. She just has such a soothing tone.

3 Likes

Finished Yesteryear today. I wasn’t actually expecting to enjoy it after some of the comments here, but I did! I kind of figured some of the reveal maybe 3/4 of the way through, but it didn’t play out quite like I expected. Can’t say more without spoilers!

2 Likes