The narrator can really make or break an audiobook.
Agree. I listen to a lot of books on Audible, and this narration was among the worst.
So interesting! I listen to many books, and this narration didn’t bother me. I do listen at a higher speed, so maybe that helped. ![]()
In particular the narrator for “April” was like nails on a chalkboard for me!
I finished Whistler last night and enjoyed it, but I like almost everything Ann Patchett writes.
I started reading Strangers by Belle Burden, which is memoir about the author’s divorce. I had heard her interviewed at a book festival I attended and also read a New Yorker article suggesting that the she exaggerated her financial losses in her memoir. I sympathized with Burden; her husband (at least as she describes his actions) treated her horribly. I went to the book festival with two friends (both retired divorce lawyers who were in the same firm). Needless to say, they had strong opinions about the author’s prenup and the changes her future husband insisted upon before he signed.
This is why I read about dragons. And fae. ![]()
I just finished Things You Save in a Fire. Enjoyed it a lot.
I could not get any further in the first Dungeon Crawler Carl book while trying to read it – it just wasn’t grabbing me enough to stay awake – so I decided to use my free audiobook selection on Amazon Music this month to listen to it. The narrator is purposely trying to sound like Patrick Warburton, and that is helping a lot, LOL. I’m determined to get through it before Dragon Con this year because the author usually attends, and I’m curious to go to one of his panels.
I’ll get back to some more highbrow stuff eventually. ![]()
Just finished Yesteryear. Was not a book I liked - to me, the protagonist was very unlikeable and the plot too full of holes.
I just started Yesteryear, but I do not like the trad wife character at all so far. Not sure I will like the book. I really like a book with likable characters.
@SpreadsheetMom have you read “When Women Were Dragons”? I have not, but I saw it on the shelf at the library the other day and might check it out. Looked intriguing.
I’ve finally finished reading my way through The Thursday Murder Club series. That is about my speed right now.
Might pick up Whistler. I liked Tom Lake though didn’t love it.
Not yet but it’s on my list! It gets fantastic reviews.
I just finished Elizabeth Strout’s The Things We Never Say. Only 207 pages, so a two afternoon investment. Wow, wow, wow - so good on so many levels. IMO, this one, like The Correspondent and Whistler, is best enjoyed by readers who are 50+. I haven’t read anything by Elizabeth Strout before, but will be looking at her other titles. I watched the adaptation of Olive Kitteridge on HBO years ago and found it quirky and didn’t connect at that time, but maybe it would connect better with me in print.
Ditto. To me, the characters are the main thing. Yes, Hail Mary is a science fiction story… but to me it was all about the friendship.
A really sweet book “This Book Made me Think of You” by Libby Page. A nice “escape” book when you need one. But also good.
I’m now #322 on 45 copies!
@SJ2727 I’m # 386 on 78 copies!
I read Olive Kitteridge years ago for a book club and liked it. I didn’t care for the HBO adaptation and stopped watching.
I liked the book (have not seen movie). It is a lot of very loosely interlocked stories, so I was glad to find this character list
I think I wrote about it on this thread. I liked it because it was so unlike anything I’ve ever read and it was easy to get into right away. Im not a fantasy reader, so it was nice to have a book with some fantasy elements that didn’t read like fantasy at all.
I read two of her Maine novels during my recent vacation. Yes, great reads.
I just finished Lisa See’s new book Daughters of the Sun and Moon. I’ve read, enjoyed and learned a lot from most of her others. Historical fiction about the small Chinese community in Los Angeles in the 1870s, when it was one of the most lawless areas of the Wild West. The treatment of the community, but especially within it the treatment of women was horrendous. Based on a lot of historical research, particularly one horrible event that was pretty much erased from history.
I’ve read several of Lisa See’s books. She’s very very good.