One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

I’m finally reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, several years after all the hype.

Things I like – all the video game details. I’m nerdy enough that it all appeals to me.

Things I don’t like – any of the characters, how the story kind of meanders without anything really happening, the tell-don’t-show way in which it’s told, and some of the word choices. I laughed out loud at the description of one supposedly sexy scene.

Despite all that, I’m not willing to give up on it yet.

2 Likes

I reverted to the audio book on this one and that did the captivating trick for me.

Speaking of audiobooks, I finally finished My Friends by Fredrik Backman. I was reading on my Kindle and liked it but it seemed to slog on…so I switched to audiobook. MUCH better. I still think it was a little too detailed, repeated too much but glad I read it.

I’m reading Down With The Shipman’s now - an easy summer beach family drama. Ahhh, just right after the above!

1 Like

Meh. 3.5 out of 5. Enjoyable sometimes but like some other books we’ve spoken about recently, some of the protagonists’ actions seem a little far-fetched, and some of their thinking seemed a little out of step with the times (set in 1966) (and with some of their own actions). All that said it could make a fun short tv series.

I liked Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow back when I read it and found the characters flawed but still likable. Ain’t nobody likable in Yesteryear and it feels like a slog to me and not a page turner for me.

3 Likes

I finished it and totally agree!

I loved Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow. I don’t usually care for books where I dislike the characters, but I felt that while they were flawed and often made bad choices, they were choices that I knew people make all the time. The video game stuff I found fascinating. I’m not a big video game person, but my kids are and it made me understand the appeal and the art of constructing one more. It was a book that made me want to reread it.

8 Likes

Just finished. I’m still on the fence – the story did redeem itself somewhat, and I liked the ending. I expected it to be bleak because of the Macbeth reference in the title, but it wasn’t as bad as I feared.

I didn’t love all the introspective and descriptive passages – maybe just the author’s style bugged me? She often had paragraphs where she listed dozens of things, much like Ovid does in various books of the Metamorphoses when he’s listing mountains or rivers or hunting dogs or whatever. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

But, I did enjoy reading the detailed descriptions about the games and the world-building. My kids are all gamers, too, and same – I wouldn’t choose a video game over a book or TV show, but my kids will obsess about the intricacies of Zelda or Pokemon or Animal Crossing, etc. – and this book helped me understand it a little bit.

I’m not an audiobook person mainly because I’m more of a visual person, my mind tends to wander when I’m listening to something and when interrupted (usually by my dog barking at something) it’s easier for me to stop and go back later to the right place with a printed book. I know that’s just me and I think I’ve overcome being judgmental when someone says they read a book when they listened to an audiobook. But today someone said they didn’t like a particular book and the reason was they didn’t like the audiobook reader’s voice. Isn’t that like saying you don’t like a book because of the typeface? Really annoyed me. But also something else for authors to think about I guess.

5 Likes

I tried audio books while recovering from eyelid surgery and had no problem with the readers. My problem was that the book kept going when I nodded off and it was a pain figuring out where to go back to. Printed and ebooks kindly wait for me to wake up.

4 Likes

I’m also a visual reader. I don’t do e-books either because I need the words to always be on the same place on each page, but that’s just me.

I guess that could be a problem if the reader’s voice annoys someone. But it’s definitely not my area of expertise!

2 Likes

My friend who drives long distances (like 8 hours at a time) finds audio books to be very helpful and engaging for her. I personally like old fashioned paper books. I really enjoy turning the pages and being able to physically flip back as needed when I want to check something. I don’t feel nearly as engaged with electronic books and suspect it’s be even less engaged with audio books, but am glad they exist to help expand access to books to a wider audience. I’m sure the reader makes a huge difference (or would for me). Some voices are much melodic than others, even though that’s not the fault of the author.

1 Like

My favorite way to read used to be on my Kindle Paperwhite – I really appreciate being able to increase the font size (lordy I’m old), plus lie on my side in bed and not have to hold a paper book awkwardly or use a book light, etc.

I didn’t love audio books and wouldn’t listen to them except during a long road trip. But I realized I wasn’t reading much because I’d never make time to sit down during the day and read (I feel vaguely guilty if there are chores and errands to be done while I’m just sitting there reading) – so I’d wait until I was in bed, and then I’d either fall asleep and not get very far, or I’d stay up reading until the wee hours and be dragging the next day.

So I tried audio books again – and now I listen while I take the dog out, while cooking and doing dishes, while putting clean clothes away, while driving anywhere, even 10 minutes to the grocery store. It is amazing how many more books I’ve been able to “read” this year – and also how much less I dread chores, lol. (My husband is a big podcast guy and is forever listening to those while he does stuff, but I’m not a fan.)

The narrator absolutely makes a difference to the enjoyment of the book, though.

5 Likes

When I listen to audiobooks on my iphone at bedtime, I use the Libby timer feature. Set it to 10 minutes. That way if I fall asleep, I never have to revert more than 10 minutes. If still awake, repeat.

3 Likes

So every ten minutes, you have to pause and extend listening time another ten minutes? Seems distracting from the narrative flow.

I really love my kindle. I usually read in bed and it’s easy to prop it up with the pillows.

1 Like

It’s just one touch on the screen to repeat, no biggie. (Ha, like inverse of snooze alarm idea). But if desired, you could instead set it for longer interval or to stop at the end of the chapter.

For those interested in the idea, use the ‘moon’ icon at top right of Libby screen.

2 Likes

Not to get off topic but I just listened to a very interesting podcast about reading audiobooks - and the nay-sayers - either way!

Should there be debate over whether you read with your eyes, your ears, or your fingers? To be “read ready” your body also needs to be ready - physically and emotionally. It is hard for some people to sit still and read for an extended period of time - think about kids hyperactivity or ADHD - sit still, focus and read? - may not be able to be done.

Do we question whether we use a phone, tablet or computer to access info and think one is better or right? Is writing not considered writing if you type it instead of using a pen?

At the end of the story - literally and figuratively- the goal that either the hard book reader, the device reader, the audio reader or the braille reader can discuss a book/story.

Which does bring it back to this thread because that is sort of the purpose - to share highlights of books to ignite others to “read” it as well!

3 Likes

Stephen Kings Ends the Debate Over Whether Audiobooks Count as Reading

Audiobooks allow me to “read” while walking, running, doing stretch videos, gardening. That gives me more time for more books. Usually my audiobooks have been nonfiction, but I’ve started doing some fiction too if desired title has shorter wait list at library. They can be really enjoyable.

Here’s one I really liked as audio

3 Likes

I’ve never understood the audiobook debate. The purpose of a book is to consume a story, how is irrelevant. Does anyone argue that touch (Braille) is inferior to sight or sound? The same information gets into your head regardless of the sense used to get it there. The only method that might qualify as inferior is taste, though some dogs might not agree.

10 Likes