One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

This one is sitting in my stack. Looking forward to getting to it!

I LOVED that book.

2 Likes

:blush:

10 Likes

I love these! I’ve read three from his list so far: the Strout, Saunders, and Patchett books .

3 Likes

Saw this earlier! We will listen to Data Empire on our road trip to take C26 to college; I’m on the waitlist for The things we never say (was already) and Seek immediate shelter (just added) at the library; and have ordered A World Appears at our local independent bookstore for D19 (it sounds right up her alley). Also planning on getting One sun only. (Not in our library.) I haven’t read the first two Harlem Shuffle books yet so will read those first before Cool Machine.

1 Like

I wonder how long he had to wait for each one on Libby? :upside_down_face:

10 Likes

I wonder how many books he gets sent by publishers each year hoping that one of them will make it onto his summer list!!

8 Likes

Started “ The Shampoo Effect” by Jenny Jackson today. It’s a fun read, already 1/3 of the way through. Good book for summer.

Noticed it is not on Barack Obama’s list though​:blush:.

7 Likes

Y’all are funny!

I read both of the new books by Ann Patchett and Elizabeth Strout that are on the list. Plan to read George Saunders and Colson Whitehead (also on Obama’s list). I’ve read other books these authors have written and enjoyed them.

5 Likes

Just picked up Elizabeth Strout’s new book at the library today. It’s next in my TBR pile.

5 Likes

On the recommendation of this thread, I recently finished Daughters of the Sun and Moon by Lisa See. Thank you!

It’s easy to read - good plot, decent character development, good writing. The author does a great job of weaving lesser known, but important (and dark) historical events into the book. She follows 3 Chinese women who settle in Los Angeles in the late 1800s and whose lives intesect.

This is a few steps up from a beach book, but it’s engaging enough to serve that purpose!

7 Likes

I’ve always been a Lisa See fan and really enjoyed this one!

2 Likes

Yesterday I finished the novel Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson. About a family in Brooklyn Heights, NYC. I loved it.

5 Likes

Also wanted to give a huge shout out to everyone who recommended Strangers by Belle Burden.

It was hard to put down, which is quite surprising given the story. No murder. No mystery. Just a very well written account of a marriage, divorce, and self-discovery. This was an odd combination of thought-provoking and hopeful.

I’m looking forward to seeing what she does next!

3 Likes

I just got a message that Strangers was ready for me on Libby - should start it today or tomorrow! Very curious.

2 Likes

My husband and I lived in Brooklyn Heights after we got married, four streets over from Pineapple. I saw some stuff, lol. Now I’m going to have to pick this up. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Last night I finished Jacob Have I Loved. I really enjoyed it, especially for a YA novel.

I See You Called In Dead by John Kenney. Dark humor. Death, living life, second chances and being your true self.

I listened to Volume 1 of The Unselected Journals of Emma M. Lion, by Beth Brower. An absolute delight. I can’t wait til my holds on Volumes 2 and on come through.

1 Like