One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

So you’re saying we should DNF the DNF discussion?? :rofl:

13 Likes

That’s the article linked in my post above.

That is sad news. I also absolutely loved Stones from the River and will have to give it a re-read.

I finished The Correspondent yesterday and found it a pleasant filler read while waiting for my next hold to become available.

7 Likes

Just finished The Calamity Club (by Kathryn Stockett, author of The Help). It was long but very good.

4 Likes

Just finished Villa Coco by Andrew Sean Greer, who wrote Less (which I really enjoyed.) The writing is quite stylized and humorous, of the type that makes you want to read particularly funny sentences to whomever is in the room with you. (Try to resist this urge.) That made it a fun read. The characters are so eccentric that there’s no temptation to fault the book for their unbelievabikity (as we did in the Broken Country discussion). It’s clear that they are unbelievable by design, and it’s just fine!

At the same time, the story itself felt somewhat slow and meandering for much of the book, until the last third, when the plot started to gel and pick up speed. It wasn’t clear if the somewhat disjointed story was deliberate, following the confusion of the protaganist, or just unfortunate.

At the end, with everything neatly tied up after the picked up pace and greater direction of the last bit of the book, it felt quirky and sweet. Which is all to say, no, not one of the best books I’ve read in the last 6 months but for someone looking for a bit of a chuckle, it was not a terrible way to spend a few hours.

2 Likes

I just read When the Cranes Fly South and I thought it was excellent!

1 Like

I have this one on my hold list at the library, so glad to hear you say some good things :grinning_face:

I need to read Theo of Golden for my book club in 2 weeks. Tis a popular title with lonnng library wait lists. Trying to decide what format to order from Amazon. Sometimes I’ll bypass kindle in order to have a real book to pass on to friends, especially when (like this one) I’ve heard good feedback. Not usually keen though on paperback. Thoughts?

screenshot

try to get a used copy in good condition - the problem sometimes with the used ones is that they don’t ship quickly

1 Like

That’s true. I like Thriftbooks, but it can take some time for used books to arrive. Because I was on vacation, I don’t have much runway left to order it. (Was on library wait list but it seems I won’t get to the top of the list for a lonnnnnng time.)

When googling for help, I found a “Friends of Fiction” relevant topic. Several people have commented that after they read Theo of Golden on kindle they purchased a real book for their library and/or gifting. So I’ve ruled out kindle :wink:

You can get a used book from an Amazon vender. They’ll send it express if you pay for it.

1 Like

Interesting tidbit - Target prices are about the same as Amazon. I will probably swing by to check out paperback (which I sometimes find annoying) vs hardcover.

Due to the time crunch, I know it’s not easy to economize. But I have decided for this title (reading when at home), won’t do kindle.

1 Like

Update - My local Target store had only the paperback Theo of Golden, $16 ($20 list price minus 20%). It felt readable, not always the case with paperback especially if lots of pages. So I bought it, preferring to not do Amazon if not necessary.

1 Like

THEO OF GOLDEN has been (inexplicably IMHO) so popular I am wondering if you have a friend who has it. I know so many people who have read it. Personally I do not understand the love for the book, I guess it’s just not my cup of tea.

6 Likes

I just started THE BOOK OF LOST FRIENDS for my book club and am really enjoying it. Hard to put down.

1 Like

I’m currently reading “Alan Opts Out” by Courtney Maum. Social satire and fun!

3 Likes

On my local Buy Nothing site, people often request to borrow a book like this - especially with a looming book club date. Worth a try if you have one, or even a community page, particularly as it’s been popular but isn’t likely to be a classic…

1 Like

I saw Theo of Golden at my library this week. I rarely buy books – just usually get stuff from the library. New books will be popular for a little while and then the popularity usually wanes.

1 Like

Oh that was a fun read. A little wacky but I liked the send up of the town and its people.

1 Like