One of the best books I've read in the last 6 months is . (Part 1)

@tsickles - so sorry for the loss of your husband. :yellow_heart:

1 Like

Sending hugs to you as you figure out more about bereavement. Based on feedback from a friend, a local widow support group can be helpful.

3 Likes

I don’t have book recs, but I am so very sorry for the loss of your husband. Sending you deepest condolences and keeping you in my thoughts.

1 Like

So, so sorry for your loss. It’s difficult. Sorry I don’t have book suggestions.

Maybe an ongoing grief support group be would helpfull too.

2 Likes

I am so very sorry.

1 Like

I am so very sorry for your loss.

1 Like

This is an excellent book on grief

2 Likes

I had enjoyed Patrick Keefe’s books Empire of Pain and Say Nothing, so although fiction is my go-to, London Falling found its way onto my non-fiction reading list.

He is a great storyteller, and this book, the tale of a London teenage boy who posed as the son of a Russian oligarch and was then found dead, is no exception. His parents are determined to find out what happened to him while the police seem content to rule it a suicide. The boy got mixed up with the wrong people, and it’s as much that story of that of the parents learning that so much - including the place they’ve always lived --isn’t quite what they thought it was.

It’s a pretty gripping true crime tale.

5 Likes

@gardenstategal -thats on my library queue. My sister recommended it.

1 Like

I loved Empire of Pain in 2022 and have found myself thinking about it this year as I recovered from knee surgery. One of the best non-fiction books I have ever read.

1 Like

I just finished Grandma Joy and Me by Brad Ryan and need to highly recommend it. I was aware that a grandson and grandmother had visited all the US national parks over the past few years and thought it would be interesting to read about their travels when I saw the book on Libby. It’s so much more than a travel story - honest, raw and very inspirational. Family dynamics, estrangement, grief and forgiveness.

4 Likes

I’ve finally read All the Broken Places. Wow.

4 Likes

@sj2727 Have you read his novel The Heart’s Invisible Furies? One of my favorite books of all time.

1 Like

The only other if his I’ve read is The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Thanks for the rec!

Anything John Boyne.

2 Likes

Just finished “ Grand Sophy” by Georgette Heyer—fun escape reading and very quick diversion.

I love Georgette Heyer—she’s very skilled and always has plucky heroines.

3 Likes

That’s one of favorite Heyer books; love the heroine. Not so much a fan of the close familial relationship

Yes, 1st cousins marrying is definitely an in-breeding issue. Forgetting that or pretending she was an orphan makes it better. She is definitely a modern woman! cousins were marrying during the regency period though, so that is unexceptional in that respect. 1st cousins can legally marry in 1/2 our states!

2 Likes

Here’s a fascinating study of real life consequences of 1st cousin marriages and marriages to people closely related.

1 Like

I suspect that everyone on this thread who wanted to read The Correspondent by Virginia Evans has already done so (I know I have), but if it’s still on your to-read list, the Kindle version is $1.99 today (8/28).

7 Likes