The alleged killer had previously mowed a 40 foot by 40 foot swastika into a community playing field.
At this point, I’m most curious/concerned about the daughter. I wonder, is she now shocked into realization about the BF, or will she need to go through some kind of cult de-programming? No matter what, will need intensive, ongoing therapy. I wonder who will be caring for her now…but I suppose we may never know the end of the story.
The W Post link may not work for thise without an account, so here is the first part:
It went on to say the parents were aware and seeking treatment for Nicholas.
I would guess Amelia and her younger brother will be in the care of the grandmother.
Actually, Daesh/IS/ISIS/ISIL has been steadily losing territory over the last few years, and recently lost its last major cities. See http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27838034 .
Of course, (neo-)Nazis (and sympathizers who think of them as very fine people) keep appearing up to this day, so it would be overly optimistic to think that Daesh/IS/ISIS/ISIL ideology followers will not keep appearing after Daesh/IS/ISIS/ISIL no longer controls any territory. But occasional terrorist attempts (whether from Nazis or Daesh/IS/ISIS/ISIL) impact far fewer people than a population who lives in a territory controlled by such a group (i.e. Nazi-controlled Europe in 1942, or Daesh/IS/ISIS/ISIL-controlled territory in 2014).
I think that Nazis and ISIS are terrible, but eliminating both and more organizations like them won’t prevent distrubed teenage boys from murdering their girlfriend’s parents. This sort of crime has happened before and will probably happen again – and seems not to be tied to any particular ideology or culture. It is also not tied to any particular choices of weapon. (In various cases the parents have variously been shot, stabbed, bludgeoned, strangled.)
It is essentially a cross-over crime with elements of parricide and domestic violence. The typical fact pattern has been that the parents are murdered and the killer flees, taking the girlfriend with him. Sometimes the girlfriend is the instigator.
Some examples:
https://owlcation.com/social-sciences/Murderous-Children-Jasmine-Richardson
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-teen-boyfriend-charged-in-alleged-plot-to-kill-her-parents/
Yes, ISIS has been losing territory since 2014, but the situation is still incredibly volatile. Syria is still in the midst of a civil war with no end in sight. Iraq is becoming more stable, but we’ve seen fits and starts before. Iraq’s security temporarily improved after the surge before deteriorating again.
"I would guess Amelia and her younger brother will be in the care of the grandmother. "
Amelia may have a father wanting to care for her. She and the older brother are children from a prior marriage.
Is he alive? Have not seen any mention of him in news coverage detailing events leading up to the murder including the “interventuon” staged a few days prior.
I have no idea if he’s in the picture, I just read in one of the articles that the older two children were from a previous marriage.
It took me minutes to find the shooter’s name and his two Facebook pages as well as the daughter’s. She’s going by the last name of the man who was killed. She seems disturbed as her only pictures are of herself. Some kind of narcissistic personality? Did he adopt her or is she his natural daughter and the murdered mother a step mom? I’m not sure.
I hate to see a good discussion devolve into a CC argument on ISIS and Nazis. I think it has very little to do with what was done. He was a disaffected youth who picked up a philosophy that suited his anger. These types of Romeo and Juliet murders happen with some regularity. A couple of times a year at least. In this case he brought along a gun. I bet he would have not killed the parents and shot himself if he had not been discovered. The shooting of himself is what makes me think it was an impulse.
As a mother if I saw my child posing with firearms and some of his other activities he would not be out free in the world until he had some prolonged therapy. Shame on his parents.
Is this a joke???
Yes, I also noticed that comment. That seems like a ridiculous assumption. It seems like a real stretch.
If you were to go looking for my facebook, you would only find pictures of me and my dog. All of my pictures that have more than me are private to friends only.
What a bizarre assumption.
Looked it up as well. It seems that the only photos you are seeing are the public “so and so changed their profile picture” posts which are generally the only photos that are public if the rest of your profile is private. And for the most part those photos are going to include… well you.
That’s the problem. ISIS recruiters and Nazi recruiters are good at finding angry disaffected youths and turning them to violence. Other groups try to find angry disaffected youths and help them. That is why we should try to root out recruiters that turn rootless teenagers into killers.
@bodangles
"Is this a joke??? "
No. I think tons of pictures of only yourself and only 15 friends is odd. I hope she’s charged because she let him in the house.
I was discussing this with my mom the other day, or rather, I told her about it (she hadn’t yet seen the news). I told her the parents had sent a letter to the school about him.
She wondered why the parents didn’t sit the boyfriend down themselves and ask him about his social media posts/beliefs/whatever before going to the school, or cutting him off.
If they didn’t, I now wonder also. Presumably he was an accepted-by-the-family boyfriend prior to the discovery of his Nazi posts.
Wow. What an incredible leap of logic, then.
Hm… only 15 friends? I’d bet a dollar that’s not her account then. Or at least not her real account.
But only pictures of herself that YOU can see is not odd. At all. Not even a little bit.
Maybe the girl was a social outcast, and thought that having a Nazi boyfriend was better than having no boyfriend.