That may just be an “alternative” high school. Doesn’t mean she couldn’t find another BF.
Not sure what you mean by “alternative” high school, intparent. When I’ve heard of alternative high schools, they’ve been public schools. According to the article, the two teenagers met at a private high school for students with special needs, and the killer was on the autism spectrum. “Private school for students with special needs” is usually a way of talking about a private school for students on the autism spectrum or with similar mental health issues.
Alternative schools in my area are for kids who haven’t done well in regular high school. Sometimes they have drug or alcohol issues, teen parents, etc.
Re: #62
Seems like those are what are called “reform schools” or “continuation schools” elsewhere.
The school the killer and the girlfriend attended is a PRIVATE school, not a public school for students who didn’t do well in a regular high school.
I looked up private special needs schools in the Reston area. The relevant fact about them is, they’re small. Like 25-125 students small, and that’s over all the grades (some are 1-12 or 2-12). So if this young woman was attending one of those small schools and looking for a boyfriend there, she wouldn’t have a lot of choices.
Fairfax Underground named the private school as the Dominion School in N. Springfield VA. Is apparently quite small and special needs. It’s not unheard of for the local district to provide special transportation via taxi.
@HarvestMoon1 , I wondered the same thing, but then realized the family member quoted may have been an aunt or cousin, with different views than the mother.
I used to work in a small therapeutic day school for children/teens with emotional issues and mental health diagnoses. It was run by a large psychiatric system based in a city eighty miles away. Although private, most of the students’ tuition was (reluctantly) paid for by the local school system when it was deemed that the public alternative school (which was chaotic) was inadequate. Students were bussed in from all over our geographically spread-out county. I imagine this school may be a similar set-up. (Though I would hope the school I worked in would have heeded the not-subtle warning signs !)