<p>So many of you so far a head of us here. Graduation here isn’t until June 25th. Prom is May 30th. We are ready for prom (mostly) but I’ve done very little so far on graduation. SStill need to finish up D’s scrapbook and get organized for the grad party. We just finished the 3rd quarter so still have a number of weeks to go. </p>
<p>Hope all of those that had prom had a great time.</p>
<p>Graduation here (SoCal) is June 18. In the past, students have gone to grad night at Disneyland, but this year they’re not doing it. Too many kids don’t go. Instead they have a grad night party planned (tickets $125!), but my D and her friends have decided they’re going to skip that and do Disneyland together the day after graduation. Fine with us.</p>
<p>She has her AP finals the next two weeks, before AP exams. So, when exams are over, the year’s essentially over, or at least all the stress is pretty much gone. Thank goodness.</p>
<p>hi-hope all had a great day. We need to keep our posts up guys!! Gee, I feel sad to know that one day our Kids will be the upper classmen at their stuggled for colleges that we are discussing now…and then where will our posts be???So college news–called WU and asked when the housing app will arrive (we thought by now) and was told “late May, early June”. Talked to the Housing folks and they said, “Late April, early May”. So glad I called.
How is everyone else doing??</p>
<p>Prom in two weeks and I studpidly said we would do an after prom party–so tonight there will be 12 but last night maybe 30…think I will plan for 24.</p>
<p>Prom…I’d love to see my guy wearing a tux to something he was excited to go to, rather than being drug along on a cruise! Alas, maybe at his wedding.</p>
<p>I’d love to make more posts, but since I’m not talking about college for a few days, there is absolutely no reference to education going on in this house.</p>
<p>There’s hope for everyone whose kid is undecided and/or unexcited about their choices. My d as of last night was one of those. She woke up this am not looking very excited and said, “I’m ready to accept Berkeley”. We talked for a few minutes and, bingo, at the stroke of key she’s in! It was only then that a small smile showed up. I’ve checked with her now and again through the day and the smile is growing. Don’t worry; it’ll happen to your kids too!</p>
<p>crzymom, you must be feeling so joyful to see your D’s smile grow and to know she’s heading to such an amazing school! Should be a wonderful day for her at school tomorrow knowing she’s done. Congrats!</p>
<p>My S is meeting with counselor tomorrow to help him decide, so his choice will not be too far off as well. Only one month left for his senior year, then finals then adulthood (or resonable facsimile thereof).</p>
<p>Orygunmom: My S was a PC guy through and through. When my D got her Mac book through the school he laughed at her, now he wants one when he goes off to college. By the end of his first year we may have tranferred over completely to the mac.</p>
<p>hey–those of you who have traveling kids–don’t forget that NW and Delta are merging and you can merge the miles and gain 500 more points. Sorry that I do not know when that promotion ends but I think tomorrow. Just did ours. Just go onto Delta (and no doubt NW) and log in and follow the directions.</p>
<p>crzymom, congrats on the Berkeley decision. That was my “dream” school for many years. I love that campus. Cpeltz, I admire your restraint. You will have your decision in less than two weeks. </p>
<p>We had some boys over playing some basketball in our driveway on Sunday and they were talking about being sad that high school was ending. One will be going to the University of Mississippi in the fall. He won’t know anybody and is worried about going from big man on campus to being a total unknown. For kids who weren’t academic achievers in high school, but were immensely popular, going far away to college can be extra scary. He is a sweet, good-looking kid, who is an absolute magician with a basketball, so I’m sure he will find his group. But, I can understand that the idea of more challenging classes and having to start all over again on the social front may not seem like something to look forward to for a certain segment of the high school class. That’s probably why so many choose to stick to schools closer to home.</p>
<p>Still trying to figure out “after prom”. I had considered hosting a party, but I don’t know most of the 17 kids in the “limo group” so I really don’t want to jump in without knowing what I’m getting into. One mom suggested renting a hotel suite and she volunteered to babysit them. I’d normally think this is a terrible idea, but the mom is a teacher at the high school AND is ex-military. D has her now and says the mom would have* no *problem controlling the kids. I asked Son what he and his date want to happen after prom…he’ll get back to me on that.</p>
<p>D’s prom is May 16 and her brother’s graduation in Cleveland is May 17 at 9:30AM – and then we have to move DS out. My mom will be joining us. I think I finally have a plan. I’ll drive the 2 plus hours the week before graduation to pick up as much of his stuff as I can. Waiting for him to tell me which day. Then Saturday after seeing DD off to prom (gotta see her in her dress) my mom and I will do the 2 hour drive and hopefully have time to dine with DS and girlfriend. Have hotel rooms booked for that night. DD will come back from prom and after prom didn’t look interesting to her so off to bed and hopefully they can both get at least 6 hours of sleep. DH and DD will then drive a second car up in the AM and meet us at the U. After everything is finished we’ll have 2 cars for 5 people and the rest of DS’ stuff.</p>
<p>Oh, have I mentioned that they are running a marathon through Cleveland that morning just to make things even more challenging :)?</p>
<p>missypie–the hotel and ex-military teacher sounds like a balanced option I too would be comfy with.</p>
<p>my d doesn’t know what she and bf will do after prom, reportedly all the parties are for “singles” and heavy drinking. </p>
<p>sharonohio–good luck with your logistics–sounds like good plan. I always find it hard to maintain the celebratory mood when managing those time crunches…</p>
<p>prom is next Friday, and my d who is down to earth and mellow, is anxiously preparing for her own and bf’s prom—making progress on the checklist. Graduation is May 15th and I can cry at really anything remotely resembling mother/child love. My s (college freshman) visited one day last week for lil bro’s 13th bd and it was delightful to have them all together. I keep teasing my d that this was all a joke and that I am not actually letting her leave home…its a good way for us to laugh/cry at the same time.</p>
<p>lindz126, I’m hopeful that once we’re actually in Cleveland and seated that I’ll have the worst of the logistics behind me and be able to enjoy myself. We’ll see.</p>
<p>The local newspaper has been running the obit of a good looking boy who was born in November 1990…he passed away after “a long battle with addiction.” So during the high school years, when most of us have been dealing with PSAT, ACT, SAT and AP tests scores, that family has been battling addiction. While we’re irritated at our seniors for not choosing a college yet, waffling on prom plans and yes, even displaying senioritis, that family is burying their son. How agonizing this graduation season must be for them. </p>
<p>During this busy time, let’s do take the time to think about (and pray for, if you’re so inclined) parents who’ve lost a child - for whatever the reason - who should be graduating this spring.</p>
<p>Sharon, your life sounds like mine…I always hope the kids don’t feel like they’re being juggled, but that’s what happens…Thursday night, D is participating in something that should be treated as a big deal…except we have to leave it early to get to something her brother is doing that is even a bigger deal…Sometimes it is do difficult to enjoy the event when you’re looking at your watch and trying to figure out the next logistical challenge!</p>
<p>Still trying to decide between two schools that couldn’t be more different. One is Plan II honors at University of Texas. The other is a small LAC that has been very welcoming (also generous). </p>
<p>I thought I knew which way the wind was blowing based on the T-shirt test… Last week S wore School A shirt twice. But, this morning he was in a frenzy to find School B shirt and dewrinkle it in the dryer so that he could wear it to school. </p>
<p>Our current plan is to have a decision by midweek. Maybe he is literally “trying on” the options.</p>