Parents of the high school class of 09

<p>Things are really hopping here. Am already cooking and baking for the final fete.</p>

<p>countingdown, actually, we (she) went to an accepted students day at RPI. It was nice but the design facilities were not great. She has since got an acceptance to Cornell. When she visited last week, she fell in love with the program, campus, students and faculty. She finally admitted to H and me that Big Red was her first choice all along. She never said that previously - she was afraid that I would drive her crazy and/or put the kiss of death on it.</p>

<p>PS #theorymom- I’m sorry to say that when we spoke to RPI about clarification re: scholarship and STILL being on the waitlist, it just sounded a little squirrelly to us.</p>

<p>woody: That’s wonderful. You can’t beat getting your heart’s desire.</p>

<p>Brother and SIL went to Cornell and loved it</p>

<p>Don’t know what to think of the odd merit non-offer at RPI</p>

<p>Woody, congrats on the Big Red! Those kids sure know how to work us.</p>

<h1>TM, were you able to contact RPI and determine what, exactly, your son was offered?</h1>

<p>HL- yeah! for decision making.
Happy to hear that TwinK will be at SMC.</p>

<p>When the dust settles, I have a ton of questions to ask about the girls lists…</p>

<p>cpeltz
I emailed the person who asked to be e-mailed with questions. I assume I will get some answers soon.
I need to find a <em>name</em> to contact at WPI to make sure my request gets through there. That is the best scenario for S. He is still absolute about WPI - ideal situation would be: WPI attempts to come up to RPI’s offer. Got a week…</p>

<p>Hmom
Is St Mary’s near home? If so you lucky duck!
Hope your other D comes up with her choice soon. I just can’t imagine doing this for two! You rock!</p>

<p>congrats hmom–definitely a unique situation…hoping your girls find their own paths…the twin stories were a riot. my mom and aunt didn’t come close to that, although they did fly up to NY today together. hmm</p>

<p>Hmom:</p>

<p>I think St Mary’s is a great choice - and am pushing my 2010 D to go and look at it. She views it as too close to home (3 hours away by car) :(</p>

<p>Hopefully she will change her mind - but congrats to your daughter.</p>

<p>OK this just in! Twin E is on wl at number one has picked her number two… Saint Mary’s! so lindz please tell your mom my story I’d love to hear what she thinks :)</p>

<h1>theory its about 3 hours south and the closest.</h1>

<p>SCUalum I have to lol that a SCU alum would be pusing their D to look at SMC! :wink: If you realy would like her to consider it, I would insist. My two were willing, in theory to travel to Montana and Texas but when the chips were down wanted to be closer to home.</p>

<p>HMom:</p>

<p>Santa Clara is only about an hour and a half away - if St Mary’s is too close that makes Santa Clara practically next door…</p>

<p>::Puts out trays of delectable Viennese desserts and fancy coffees (decaf of course – it’s late) to celebrate hmom’s twins decisions.:: Yay for TwinK and TwinE.</p>

<p>Wow, hmom. They could wind up at the same school after all! Did TwinE make it down for the overnite visit in Tx or did she make this decision prior to the big adventure? Also wondering if TwinK’s decision pushed her towards St. Marys as well. My, what goes on in the minds of a 17/18 yo!</p>

<p>Congratulations on the decision, historymom!</p>

<h1>theorymom, as far as who to contact at WPI, check to see who the regional admissions rep is - they are listed on the website. S was accepted at RPI with a better scholarship than WPI, and we visited, but he just never felt it at RPI. I have some reservations about their administration, they seem to be dropping foreign language instruction, the campus is very large, the dorms at WPI are better, the area around RPI seemed “sketchy”, and a few other intangibles. Add in WPI’s off-campus IQP project and the decision was clear - WPI.</h1>

<p>A big CONGRATS to Historymom and her two lovely Ds. SMC is a great choice for them!</p>

<p>historymom, congrats on having a decision. How many people are still in the waiting place? I know Jolynne’s S is still deciding but I’m starting to lose track on the others. </p>

<p>H is headed out to WVU with S2 this afternoon for an accepted student and family engineering week-end. I’m not sure of the agenda, but both are very psyched about the road trip. They have their munchies all packed and music picked out, ready to get in the car as soon as S2 gets out of school. I will go for orientation in June but am passing on this trip since I don’t care for long car rides with music blasting. H seems to enjoy that.</p>

<p>Hooray, hooray, hooray for historymom and the historytwins!</p>

<p>Fabulous news HistoryMom! Are you rushing to get both girls’ deposits in the mail to St. Mary’s before TwinE changes her mind? :slight_smile: Is her #1 WL school a “dream” school for her that will change her mind about St. Mary’s?</p>

<h1>TM, keep us posted. Hope, hope, hoping that WPI comes up with even a small amount of extra $$ to make you more comfortable with turning down RPI.</h1>

<p>S is leaning toward his only practical choice, but resisting it. It was a school on his list that I insisted he apply to (fortunately, no new essays - doesn’t that sound like a conversation from years ago rather than months? :slight_smile: ), and he keeps repeating “I don’t want to go to school in the Midwest.” He liked it when he was there, it’s a great school, he has family there, it’s financially a good deal, and he really has no comparable options. I’d set today as his deadline and he knows that - last night he said he’d tell me by his deadline. I’m hoping he’ll get excited once he puts in his dorm options, and he’ll DEFINITELY be going to the freshman preview day the week after his graduation.</p>

<p>I sure wish my kid was enthusiastic about his decision, rather than resigned.</p>

<p>My D’s #1 choice became the most practical choice once all the FA packages came in. As soon as this happened, she did an about face and was far less interested in attending. While she understands the financial aspect of choosing a college, it still stung to have her “options” taken from her.</p>

<p>I read in one of these threads…something like this…(totally paraphrasing)…Look at all the college acceptances as the recognition and reward, for hard work during high school. The actual decision, is the school best suited for fit and reaching goals! I surely botched the paraphrase, but I believe the meaning is still there.</p>

<p>It only took a few days after decision was made for the excitement to creep back in.</p>