Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>jc40: I love HS football ! S played since 5th grade and was All-Conference his senior year. I was very active in Quarterback Club - a parent club specifically for football. I made all the goodie bags for each Friday. They had a gatorade, 1 salty snack, 1 sweet snack, and a little bonus of some kind. I stamped the white bags with blue tiger paws, wrote each kids name on the sack, and prepared them. Another mom picked them up from my house on Thursday and delivered them to school before first bell on Friday morning. One year, she put them in their lockers, but ‘other’ kids were stealing some of them. The snacks were either donated by all the other parents (not necessarily all :rolleyes:) or I ended buying them when we were short. </p>

<p>A different committe put together sack lunches for the away games - for the team, coaches, managers, bus drivers, and the cheerleaders. They put them on the bus after school. We also did fundraisers all year and if the team/coach needed something we could pay for it. Senior year, we bought them a new camcorder. One year, we paid half of a whirlpool. Our school also has a Booster Club but their funds are split between ALL the sports. </p>

<p>We did all kinds of special things for Homecoming week. Usually one thing each day. Homemade sugar cookies shaped like footballs with their jersey # on it, donuts from casey’s before school, Pizza in the locker room after the game, ‘spirit’ type items like car magnets or something on their lockers, etc. We also painted car windows for big games.</p>

<p>D15 will be a HS cheerleader this year, she’s also done it since 5th grade. Our first game is August 26. I have a bag of football gear that goes in the back of my SUV along with a blanket that will stay there all season.</p>

<p>H’ ambulance stands by at all the games. According to MSHAA (Missouri State Athletics Association) you’re suppose to have an ambulance , but some of the smaller schools do not since their town doesn’t have one. Ours does it free as a community service. They have their own tailgate before the game. They pool their money on Friday and buy the meat - sometimes it’s Steak & Shrimp skewers, sometimes it’s fried stuff, other nights it’s a soup theme. Everyone brings food. I am usually in charge of the cheesy potatoes. Several of the employees don’t even have HS kids, nor do they get paid for being there. The tailgate is for the employees & their families. The superintendant always eats there, as well as the coaches and has become ‘famous’ among the referees too. They request to come to our town just so they can eat at the game.</p>

<p>This year, D15 is required to be at the Booster Club Community Tailgate. She is suppose to make an appearance, show spirit & support, etc. Looks like I’ll be eating someone elses’ cheesy potatoes instead of making them for awhile. :)</p>

<p>SWTCT: Watch for a PM about greek life - I have a couple of questions :)</p>

<p>P56: What is PACT ?</p>

<p>S and GF went to KC today to the big waterpark. Don’t know why I still dread him driving in city traffic. :p</p>

<p>Wow, just realized how long this post was. Apologies to all not interested in football. :)</p>

<p>wow checkers… that’s an incredible amount of work…hope the players appreciated all you did!!</p>

<p>re Pact…alabama had a state program that allowed parents to pay for college now…depending on the year you bought, age of child etc, determined what your cost was…then when child went to college…tuition was paid for 4 years… (it took into account the interest gained on the money over years etc) …well the fund supposedly lost money when the market went down, so was about to be bankrupt…the legislature finally committed money to it last year but based its numbers on alabama colleges capping tuition increases (at 3% per year for pact holders)…UA and Auburn refused and tuition increases have been higher so again wont be enough money… then other colleges that had agreed to the caps said that was unfair to them…so they were about to fight to have the cap taken off (the legislature left themselves a clause to get out of the whole thing…if the caps came off, they would not put any money in)…some pact holders sued saying the state should honor the contracts…judge ruled this week, to a settlement that says pact will only pay 2010 rates from now on and parents will pay any difference (not bad for parents with college age kids now…but horrendous for people who bought recently and kids arent going to college for 12 years or so…(who knows what tuition will be then)</p>

<p>RobD - I too got the same verdict on my knees from my surgeon who vehemently opposed squats ever again, along with the usual. I was able to get rid of some of the pain on my own until recently when I upped my mileage and workouts and tried to throw some running in the mix :confused: He also said I couldn’t do the varied workouts on the bike or elliptical but to keep it at one speed so my knee wouldn’t need to adjust - makes the workouts more boring but I’m happy I can do something. I have been pushing a bit too hard though and DH is on my to take a day of rest which is hard for me to do but I need to remind myself how miserable I would be if I couldn’t do anything due to injury… I am an awful patient! Anyway, I empathize!</p>

<p>Love the talk of football - a coworker’s son was just drafted as a free agent to the Steelers so it’s been neat to watch her wait out the lockout and then in less than 24 hours he was on a team getting the chance he’s always wanted just to try. She said it was weird that now football was a job for him. I’m keeping my fingers crossed he makes the final cut!</p>

<p>I am so happy it is finally Friday I may even channel Rebecca Black, LOL! </p>

<p>Hugs and thoughts to all!!! Congrats too to rm12 and the new baby girls!</p>

<p>Just stopping by to ~wave~ to everyone. I am reading and keeping up I promise!</p>

<p>lol austinmt… you better, there is a quiz coming up!</p>

<p>Love the football talk.</p>

<p>Forgot to mention earlier that ds1 finishes at camp today. Dh is there to pick him up. Can’t wait to hear all about it when they get home Sunday.</p>

<p>Good morning! TGIF! I left a housefull of sleeping teenagers (and a couple of 20-somethigns) to come to work. My cousin,her two girls and their 6 bags of luggage arrived last night. Her daughter will be a freshman at Chapman, so they brought two giant suitcases of “college stuff”. They will be in California for 2 weeks, and then will go home for a week, and then come back for orientation and the start of school. They are going Dorm Shopping today. I made a map of the closest Target, Ikea, Container Store, BBB, etc…</p>

<p>~~ waving to all.</p>

<p>Many thanks to the recappers (especially jc40 - that was a particularly excellent recap!). And may I just say DITTO.</p>

<p>No real college news here. D headed off this weekend to NJ for a beach ultimate frisbee tournament (!?!?). S opted not to go. I hope she enjoys herself but I will be happier when she gets home.</p>

<p>Does anyone else have the same issue when reading cc that I have? For the last month or so, when I come to our thread it looks okay for a few seconds, then “jumps” wider, so that I have to use the horizontal scroll bar to read the right had side of the posts. On the flip side, when I read on my blackberry, the opposite happens - after a few seconds the post jumps to the left half of the screen (and is ridiculously small) while the right half of the screen is just blue. Both of these issues started at about the same time about a month ago. Before that, everything seemed fine. Then again, when I read on cc, I get reminded that putting up with minor aggravations like this is not such a bad thing.</p>

<p>TGIF :)</p>

<p>^^^Yes, that’s happening to me, too.</p>

<p>Me too. :)</p>

<p>I will follow alice’s ditto with a ditto of my own. Sorry for the sadness ML and liked readinng the football stuff as our small school does not have football and college fb is also not huge around here. DB we are still not in the window for D1’s return but we are for D2 finishing camp and for my VACATION TIME</p>

<p>Sent from my DROID2 using CC App</p>

<p>Checkers, enjoy all the football madness and fun while you can! It sounds like a lot of work but also a lot of fun. I hope the kids appreciate it! As you know, these years pass too quickly. And you’ll have all those other football/cheerleading parents to commiserate with when your kids head off to college.</p>

<p>ML, cry all you need to. Your son has held up amazingly well with all he’s been through, but his college experience isn’t anything like you had thought it would be and you are entitled to mourn for that. Your family has been a pillar of strength, but it’s ok to wish you didn’t have to be. </p>

<p>I haven’t had any trouble reading CC on my Mac. The CC app for Droid is SO slow that I’ve pretty much given up using it - plus I’m still awful at typing on a touch-screen, so posting from the Droid would be painful.</p>

<p>DB - love your “in the window” analogy. We are in the window for S to move out (tomorrow), but not yet for D’s return to college. She heads back on 8/18, but she’s going away next week with her BF’s family, then we have a couple small weekend things before her move becomes the next item on the agenda.</p>

<p>Laf: I’m done with quarterback club since s isn’t there anymore. I actually took a nice little break last year from helping with ‘everything’. Since D will be in HS now, looks like I’ll jump back in. I’ll be more active with Booster Club now. It also does things for basketball and golf, which D will be involved with.</p>

<p>p56: I hope everything works out with PACT. Sounds like a great deal if it works. </p>

<p>Who is it here that plays Fantasy Football? What is that ? Perhaps I should play. </p>

<p>Next week is MO HS sports ‘dead week’. No practices of any kind are allowed. After that…it’s full swing. That is when 2-a-days start for football. They practice at like 6 or 7 am until noon. Than again in the evening. The cheerleaders take them and the softball girls popsicles at practice. :slight_smile: Looks like that is my first job. Driving D to deliver popsicles. :)</p>

<p>Yes, my CC screen is goofy too.</p>

<p>I’d like to have one last ‘hoorah’ before school starts & S goes back to college. Our days are limited. It’s so hot also. There are 2 amusement parks nearby, maybe one of those. I’ll have to see if H is off or if we’ll go without him. We have to do that a lot & it’s ok, just more fun if we all go. KC has a new Schlitterbahn water park that we could try…</p>

<p>YDS and DB - When I raised it with cc, they poked around a bit, then concluded that since no one else had complained it was something about my computer settings and I should get local IT help.</p>

<p>My screen is goofy too!</p>

<p>CM: I have a fantasy football team! It’s great fun; mine is a work league so it’s for pride only, but DH has 2 (he’s the commissioner in one league) and he’s won big time a few times. That’s how he justified getting the flat screen tv, PS3 etc. over the years. </p>

<p>Shilly: did you have the Synvisc injection in your knee?</p>

<p>D1 will be home 6 days from now :slight_smile: Got to skype with her a little this morning. D2 picks up her schedule on Tuesday. </p>

<p>How is it already almost August?</p>

<p>Bumping up our little thread to page one.</p>

<p>Went to see Crazy Stupid Love with my parents tonight. Cute movie and a great cast. I really recommend it.</p>

<p>good morning all! coffee is ready!</p>

<p>)xoxoxoxoxo></p>

<p>JC40’s D; prayinglady’s D – 8/6
Parent56’s S; SWTCAT’s D – 8/10
CheckersMidwest’ S – 8/14
Tx5’s D—8/15
Lafalum84’s D – 8/18
BUandBC82’s S; 2education’s S1 – 8/19
MaineLonghorn’s S, Twinmama D2, Shillyshally’s D – 8/20
RobD’s D; AL34’s S – 8/21
Twinmama D1-- 8/23
CaliforniaDancer – 8/26
Coskat’s D-- 8/27
mdemvizi, PinotNoir’s S – 8/27
DougBetsy’s S – 8/28
limabeans’s BB3, SLUMOM’s S – 8/28
jbehlend’s S – 8/29
psychmom’s D – 8/30
Yds’ ds – 9/4 (we leave the day before)
CountingDown’s S2, Mathmom’s S2 – 9/4
jackief’s D – 9/6
aliceinw’s S – 9/9
ProudNJMom’s S; G#’s D2 – 9/10
Tx5’s S – 9/14
FindAPlace’s S – 9/18
psychmomma’s S – 9/20
mommusic’s S – 9/21
esobay’s S – 9/22</p>

<p>Good morning. Thanks for the coffee, p56.</p>

<p>D called last night while S, H, and I were eating dinner to say she had arrived safely in NJ. S picked up the phone, listens for a bit, and says “blizzard in CT? you’re stuck for hours? and don’t tell mom and dad about the werewolves?” Funny boy. I mentioned that we might do some exploratory car shopping this weekend, and he asked if he could come along. Should be interesting. We are not ready to replace our 2000 CRV quite yet, but want to have some idea what’s next in case it suddenly dies on us (or requires an expensive repair).</p>

<p>Hope everyone has a nice weekend.</p>

<p>Good morning. Thanks for the coffee. :)</p>

<p>alice - If you look at a Subaru Outback, let me know what you think. My current car has to last another 3 years. But, if I were in the market today, I might give it a look. :)</p>