Possible change to Bright Futures (limiting majors)

I supposed there’s a difference between the mix of skills the legislature wants to pay to develop, and the mix the academics have come up with through the university’s processes and incentives to students. And while any major can continue on to law school and become a lawyer, an engineering or nursing major can certainly do so, so it’s not necessary to support every possible undergrad major to fill the pipeline (too full already given the poor prospects for most new lawyers) for lawyers.

2 Likes

The legislature isn’t paying to develop the skills- the taxpayers are. The legislature may not be interested in paying for social workers, pastors, marriage counselors, or for students to become fluent in Korean, or any of the other “strategic languages” that the CIA and NSA need. But that’s a pretty short-sighted way to view an educated workforce.

4 Likes

It may not be correct to assume that every politician views a generally more educated work force or state population as a benefit, especially those whose voters appear to be mostly less educated people.

4 Likes

I wrote to my State Senator today, she said that they have not had any hearing on this yet. I don’t really understand why they are doing this. How can they say one major is better than another. Many philosophy majors go on to become lawyers, who often become politicians. Not sure he thought about that!

Part of the problem is how you determine that a major doesn’t have “direct employment after graduation”, except for Bachelor’s that are “training for a specific profession” (Engineering/ABET accreditation, Elementary school teaching…)
Unless you count “graduate school after college graduation” as “direct employment”, which doesn’t seem to be the case.
If that’s the case, then all students would have to do is say they’re premed or prelaw, since those are just intentions.

1 Like

There’s another thread that specifically discusses cuts to Benacquisto (or elimination thereof).

To your Soviet reference: upon graduation, a Soviet student was obligated to work for a designated employer for at least three years without being able to change jobs. Truth be told, higher education was paid for by the state, and those who did well received a sizeable cash stipend. He who pays the piper calls the music…

He who pays the piper calls the music… What happened to the “innovation economy” in the Soviet Union when so many PhD’s in math, physics, and engineering ended up emigrating to the West after they fulfilled their part of the bargain?

The piper paid, but it turned into a somewhat short-sighted investment. You can “encourage” a kid in Florida to study engineering, and even make them stay for a few years after graduation. But ultimately- what’s to stop the Florida kid from putting down roots in Seattle or Austin?

Well, Florida would have to close its borders, of course! I think you phrased what I was trying to hint at very well. Those who don’t study history are doomed to repeat it.

Anyway… the Soviet subsidized all fields equally, their “Philology” (Linguistics&Foreign Language) departments were famously strong, no doubt because of spying needs, artists and cartoonists also (propaganda needs) and… I’m really not sure it’s the proper analogy.

A positive way to handle a need for more Engineers, Nurses, and Primary Teachers without hurting high school students, the economy, universities and their standing… would be to allocate Room&Board (or equivalent, or 1/2 R&b for year1&2, Full Year 3&4) ON TOP OF Bright Futures for students who choose this major and complete it.
Otherwise it looks like a proposal that will cut out a vast majority of students in Florida from receiving the state scholarship they earned according to hitherto agreed upon criteria. It’s quite telling the cuts wouldn’t “phase in” starting with rising HS freshmen, no, it’d cut the scholarship for juniors and seniors who followed the rules, including kids from his own constituency (where the average income for a family of 4 is 38k, 29% minors and 9.7% seniors live below the poverty line…)

The proposal linked in the thread about Benacquisto (also on the chopping block) indicates they’re interested in “majors at 60 credits”. That major would need to link to a job 60 credits later, if I understand correctly. It’s scheduled to be discussed 3/9.

Link for convenience: https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/86 (3:30 pm, 412 Knott Building ). If you feel strongly about this, please write to committee members and make your opinion heard. The argument that “it’d cut the scholarship for juniors and seniors who followed the rules” would equally apply to OOS Benacquisto recipients who (or whose parents) will be left holding the bag.

1 Like

This bill is up for its first hearing on Tuesday in the Education committee. I think we need to flood them with emails against it. Please each do unique emails with different subject headings from each of you and anyone else to whom you pass this along. (You can do the same email to each senator). The democrats will vote against the bill, I’m sure. We need to turn just one Republican to kill the bill. The Republican members of the Education committee are listed below. Here is the bill. You should read so you understand what it does: https://flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2021/86/BillText/Filed/PDF. Underlined words are new language added to the current statutes.

This is the key provision they added:

© Eligibility for state financial aid awards and tuition assistance grants must be reevaluated each term based on the program of study to which the student has been admitted and in which he or she is enrolled. Beginning with the 2022-2023 academic year and thereafter, eligibility for such awards and grants is contingent on the student’s enrollment in a career certificate or degree program on an approved list developed pursuant to s. 1009.46(2)(a).

It also changes the way the scholarships are funded and the legislature decides the funding amounts each year in the budget.

If anyone wants to testify, you need to be in Tallahassee and it’s remote from the civic center. Obviously this is easiest for FSU students, so please see who you can round up, as well as graduate students and professors or alumni.

My legislative aide, Daphne is cc’ed here – she can help answer any questions about the process, etc.

Joe Gruters:

gruters.joe@flsenate.gov

Jennifer Bradley:

bradley.jennifer@flsenate.gov

Doug, Broxson:

broxson.doug@flsenate.gov

Manny Diaz, Jr.

diaz.manny@flsenate.gov

Travis Hutson:

hutson.travis@flsenate.gov

Kathleen Passidomo:

passidomo.kathleen@flsenate.gov

We need to stop this bill!

Thanks for your involvement,

Tina

4 Likes

This bill is up for its first hearing on Tuesday in the Education committee. I think we need to flood them with emails against it. Please each do unique emails with different subject headings from each of you and anyone else to whom you pass this along. (You can do the same email to each senator).
This is the key provision they added:

© Eligibility for state financial aid awards and tuition assistance grants must be reevaluated each term based on the program of study to which the student has been admitted and in which he or she is enrolled. Beginning with the 2022-2023 academic year and thereafter, eligibility for such awards and grants is contingent on the student’s enrollment in a career certificate or degree program on an approved list developed pursuant to s. 1009.46(2)(a).

It also changes the way the scholarships are funded and the legislat

Joe Gruters:

gruters.joe@flsenate.gov

Jennifer Bradley:

bradley.jennifer@flsenate.gov

Doug, Broxson:

broxson.doug@flsenate.gov

Manny Diaz, Jr.

diaz.manny@flsenate.gov

Travis Hutson:

hutson.travis@flsenate.gov

Kathleen Passidomo:

passidomo.kathleen@flsenate.gov

We need to stop this bill!

1 Like

what does this bill mean for out of state benacquisto recipients entering for fall 2021? will the scholarship be cut?

What does “remote from the civic center” mean?

If you want to speak. You can go to the Civic center and they are going to have you speak from there, not from the Senate.

1 Like

I don’t know what that scholarship is. I didn’t see it referenced in the bill.

It is in the bill. But there is another thread about the Benacquisto.

I never heard of that one. What is it?

The scholarship for National Merit Scholars.