<p>In response to Barfly’s comment- my son got unsolicited recruitment mail stating he got high psat scores from colleges he didn’t list. Again, if they can access that without consent then why not the specific scores as his GC stated. That’s the only way colleges can really use psat scores on a national level, ie a high psat score in Mass. or Maryland that didn’t qualify vs. a lower score in Alabama that qualified. I guess I’m referring more to national vs. local public universities.</p>
<p>helping out the updates; I got a 209 in Nevada and got semi-finalist =]</p>
<p>^^ Did you check the box for the Student Search Service? That authorizes CB to give out contact info to colleges that request specific demographics. I bet your S did, because I know some people who did NOT check that box and they’ve been getting zero unsolicited college mail (only from schools they’ve requested information from).</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I don’t believe school counselor statements about the practices of third parties unless the counselors can point to a source for verification. I’ve read countless stories here on CC of counselors saying things that are just flat wrong. Counselors are usually very eager to help, but they are often quite confused about how to check facts.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>I have the same recollection. Part of College Board’s recruiting practices is described on its page about its Student Search Service </p>
<p>[url=<a href=“http://professionals.collegeboard.com/higher-ed/recruitment/sss]SSS[/url”>Recruitment & Admissions Management – Higher Ed]SSS[/url</a>] </p>
<p>where it is said colleges can search by </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>with “ranges” being the key word there.</p>
<p>Thank you for the reply, donnagal. I actually think I’m the first from my school. I do hope everything gets sorted out.
VA-219, by the way, for the list’s sake.</p>
<p>Updating for Nevada</p>
<p>Alabama 208 (posts 328 and 294) (-1)
Alaska
Arizona 210 (post 574) (+1)
Arkansas <=209 (post 460)
California 218 (post 579) (+1)
Colorado
Connecticut <=228 (post 597)
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida 212 (post 589) (+1)
Georgia <=214 (366)
Hawaii
Idaho 209 (post 568) (+1)
Illinois <=214 (Post 407) (cutoff is 213 or 214)
Indiana <= 212 (Post 532)
Iowa
Kansas 211 (post 435) (0)
Kentucky <= 209 (post 309)
Louisiana 207 (post 586) (-1)
Maine
Maryland >220 and <=223 (post 545)
Massachusetts <=221 (post 494)
Michigan <=209 (post 331)
Minnesota >214 (post 596)
Mississippi <= 205 (post 607)
Missouri 211 (post 538) (-2)
Montana
Nebraska <= 211 (post 292)
Nevada<=209 (post 642)
New Hampshire
New Jersey <=221 (post 636)
New Mexico
New York >214 and <=219 (post 564, 604)
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio <=212 (post 492)
Oklahoma <=209 (post 420)
Oregon
Pennsylvania 211 (post 601) (-2)
Rhode Island <= 217 (post 592)
South Carolina <=211 (post 480)
South Dakota <=205 (post 320)
Tennessee <= 213 (post 350)
Texas 216 (post 537) (+1)
Utah
Vermont <=213 (post 616)
Virginia
Washington <=218 (post 313)
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>The first time my spawn took the PSAT, he got a 231 and got NO mail from colleges. He had not checked the SSS box. The second time he took the PSAT (last fall), he did check the SSS box and now gets tons and tons of mail. He didn’t list any specific colleges; he gets mail from colleges all over the country, from the top tier down. I’m a little surprised, given what I’ve read on CC, at how little mail he’s gotten from WashU.
He’s been getting a lot from CalTech and MIT, though, two schools in which I’m pretty sure he has zero interest.</p>
<p>Because the kid has already left high school for college, we’d requested that last fall’s PSAT score be activated for the NM competition. (Thanks, tokenadult, for telling me about that possibility!) I hope that happened, because it appears, based on what’s been reported here, that he qualified. I’m hoping that his dad can swing by the high school next week to find out.</p>
<p>^ I’ve gotten zero mail from WashU too! 219 and 228 as soph/junior, checked the box both times. Caltech keeps sending me stuff and has no visible way to unsubscribe, which is annoying for a future English major.</p>
<p>I agree with Keilexandra, though even though it’s a future International Relations/Political Science major here, MIT’s stuff is pretty interesting (unique at the least, to be sure).</p>
<p>Keil and Owlice, my d has gotten enough stuff from WashU to make up for the both of you.
We finally asked them to take her off their list and save two trees. </p>
<p>Keil, a friend’s s is at CalTech and <em>loves</em> it (albeit as a techie guy). My friend keeps trying to convince me how much attention my d would get as a humanities major there :)</p>
<p>This link with all of the states’ cut-offs was posted earlier. Is this THE actual OFFICIAL list? It seems pretty close to what you all have been gathering here:</p>
<p>[National</a> Merit Scholarships](<a href=“http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html]National”>http://www.collegeplanningsimplified.com/NationalMerit.html)</p>
<p>mrscollege, that is for the class of 2009, which graduated this past May/June. The scores can be different each year.</p>
<p>So far as I know, there is no “official” list that is published by the NM folks.</p>
<p>The link that was provided in the last post refers to last year’s cut off (HS 2009 graduation not HS 2010 graduation). Post # 2 in this thread provides the same numbers. What we are trying to collect in this thread are this years numbers and the deviation (+ or 1 in brackets) represent change from last year. It should be close but is not the same.</p>
<p>Updating Wisconsin and Maryland - My GC let me see the packet that the school gets that lists the cutoffs
Unfortunatly I only got like a minute with it
I scanned for the highest cutoff, and MD had it - but my scan might have missed something, idk. Wyoming had the lowest at 201, I’m positive. </p>
<p>Alabama 208 (posts 328 and 294) (-1)
Alaska
Arizona 210 (post 574) (+1)
Arkansas <=209 (post 460)
California 218 (post 579) (+1)
Colorado
Connecticut <=228 (post 597)
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida 212 (post 589) (+1)
Georgia <=214 (366)
Hawaii
Idaho 209 (post 568) (+1)
Illinois <=214 (Post 407) (cutoff is 213 or 214)
Indiana <= 212 (Post 532)
Iowa
Kansas 211 (post 435) (0)
Kentucky <= 209 (post 309)
Louisiana 207 (post 586) (-1)
Maine
Maryland 221 (post 655)
Massachusetts <=221 (post 494)
Michigan <=209 (post 331)
Minnesota >214 (post 596)
Mississippi <= 205 (post 607)
Missouri 211 (post 538) (-2)
Montana
Nebraska <= 211 (post 292)
Nevada<=209 (post 642)
New Hampshire
New Jersey <=221 (post 636)
New Mexico
New York >214 and <=219 (post 564, 604)
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio <=212 (post 492)
Oklahoma <=209 (post 420)
Oregon
Pennsylvania 211 (post 601) (-2)
Rhode Island <= 217 (post 592)
South Carolina <=211 (post 480)
South Dakota <=205 (post 320)
Tennessee <= 213 (post 350)
Texas 216 (post 537) (+1)
Utah
Vermont <=213 (post 616)
Virginia
Washington <=218 (post 313)
West Virginia
Wisconsin 207 (-3) (post 655)
Wyoming 201 (post 655)</p>
<p>jasmaree:
Please confirm if you mean that cut off for VA is 219 or if you got 219 and become as NMST?</p>
<p>i’m contesting.
i scored a 211 in FL.
i HAVE THE PACKET AT MY HOUSE.
my principal went over it with me.
its definitely a 211 or lower.
anyone saying differently is wrong.</p>
<p>august do u know any1 with a 209 who got in?</p>
<p>My son just made it in Tx. with a 216. Hitting the cutoff point was just a random miracle, the product of a lucky guess or two on questions to which he did not know the answer. He knows the scores of some of his close friends because they told him last spring when the scores were released and he has stated repeatedly since he learned that the Tx. cutoff was 216 that he has many friends who are much smarter who did not make it. Sorry to hear that the cutoff went up one point in Tx. However, for everyone in any state whose child came within 1 or 2 points, I have heard repeatedly over the years that after the scores come out, parents, teachers and tutors obtain access to the test questions and often protest certain questions and show that the NMSQT-designated answers were wrong or that the questions were unfair and that causes the questions to be disqualified and the scores to change for those who lost points for that question so that they may hit the state cutoff after all. (I stress, the score does not change if your child got the disqualified question “right” according to the NMSQT initial position, so please do not think this means your SF child can become non-SF.) Has anyone else ever heard this? I really would like to believe that, for many students who scored within 1 or 2 points of cutoff, this story is not over yet.</p>
<p>Iowa is <=209</p>