PSAT Scores for National Merit Semifinalists 2009 (H.S. Class of 2010)

<p>Any scores from any states that don’t have definitive cut-offs posted here? I wish all the schools would let students know, but thanks to all here whose schools have told them for reporting them to us!!!</p>

<p>Anyone know about NY??</p>

<p>Keil…Katie…et al:</p>

<p>Because I’m also worried about GPA…I will tell you that the form itself does ask for detail of EVERY grade in every subject in every year. And of course the “rules” do say something along the line of “excellent grades in ALL 4 years of school”. (My daughter has one glaring C+…and several Bs). But there is even a place on the form that asks the school if there were any FAILING grades, and did they have any explanation as to external situations why that might have happened (paraphrased, obviously). So I hope and doubt that one C would be reason not to go on to finalist. Fingers crossed for all y’all who rock standardized tests but still have 3.6-3.7 type GPAs (my kid included!). Nothing to do now but wait until Feb 9 and keep up your best work.</p>

<p>I don’t have a copy of the form but I got to see it briefly yesterday, and the way I read it, it was not asking for every grading period, just the semester or quarter, as the case may be. In fact, I think it only had spaces for 1st through 4th grading periods and final grade, and it asked for the appropriate grades to be filled in (I am summarizing what I recall here). Our school gives grades for six 6-week grading periods, but only the semester grades count towards the GPA. There is no way on the form to show every 6-week grade. SO, that is a long explanation of why I think they are only asking for semester grades if you are on a semester system, or quarterly grades if you are on a quarter system.</p>

<p>If this makes no sense, let me know. I will grab some coffee and try again!</p>

<p>Barfly, you are right. I’m looking at the form this very minute and it just has space for up to 4 grading periods and a Final grade, if applicable and clearly states to “use only those TERMS that apply”. So, if you are on a semester system, I’d think just the first 2 columns would be completed. On a trimester system, the first 3 columns, etc. It’s just got some flexibility to accomodate the different grading systems that are out there.</p>

<p>By the way, my dh’s reaction to the form was “how 1980’s of them. Why isn’t the application on-line?” lol!</p>

<p>I took the SAT’s in May 09 but didnt realize I was supposed to send the scores to NM.
Can I send them now or is it too late?</p>

<p>233 selection index score on the PSAT in MA, so I’m assuming I’m okay in that dept.</p>

<p>^^^
Best not to jump to unsupported conclusions, PPea.
[National</a> Merit Scholarship Corporation - High School Forms](<a href=“http://www.nationalmerit.org/high_school_forms.php]National”>http://www.nationalmerit.org/high_school_forms.php)</p>

<p>Thanks EricLG, but where would I get my user ID from? Dont we have to wait to hear from the school or NM if we’ve made Semi-finalist?</p>

<p>Not trying to make unsupported assumption, but if the score cutoff for MA is around 221 and mine is 233, are you saying there’s a good chance I wouldn’t make the cutoff?</p>

<p>thanks.</p>

<p>You are not too late (FBBG) to sent your May 09 scores. Login to the college board site, request scores be sent to code 0085, pay the $9.50 and you will have it done.</p>

<p>thanks tquenn.</p>

<p>FBBG, it’s not too late, but you will have to pay $10 or so to the college board for the service. The following is copied from the Merit R&I leaflet available on their website:

</p>

<p>FBBG your score is above the known cutoff for every state (even MA!). Your score qualifies you for semifinalist. Congrats.</p>

<p>done. thanks again EricLG and Tquenn.</p>

<p>FBBG,
If memory serves me, the userID was printed on the PSAT result report. If you do not have that paper, I would call the collegeboard and ask for it. I suggest you register at the collegeboard site once you know your userID. You will be able to send your scores to colleges (and the NMSC!) from there, and sign up for their email service that notifies you of important announcements. E.g., stuff you have to do, and the dates it must be completed by. ;)</p>

<p>Yes…definitely just the term grade that counts toward your GPA. Did y’all think I meant every grade on every test? LOL. Anyway…that is something that would be interesting to track…the stats of those who don’t make it. But I’m sure, at that point, no reason to “hang” on the boards anymore so we’ll probably never get that.</p>

<p>EricLG, that’s just for the school, for the academic record. The sections that the student has to complete have to be done by hand and, in the case of the essay, typed up and taped on to the form. Unless I’m missing something and those parts are available even in pdf form?</p>

<p>R124687, I don’t think anyone thought that “every grade on every test” had to be shown. But earlier posts did suggest that every grading period had to be shown. In other words, if the school sends grades for every 6-week “grading period”, the issue was whether those grades had to be shown. I interpreted the NM form to mean that only the “term” grades (semester grades or quarter grades), the ones that count towards GPA, had to be shown. That is the issue that PrincessPea and were addressing.</p>

<p>I am not sure how many HS keep track of mid semester grades. Again, let us say a student got a B in a very tough mid term (or had a missing assignment that they made up after the mid term etc.) but made it to A by the end of semester, what counts is the final A not the B midway. So I am going to assume that it is the end of semester grade.</p>

<p>In most high schools the counselors/principal should know what to fill in especially if they have been doing it for some time (and they fill in the grades, not the student). If they have questions they could get clarification from either NSMC or other counselors. Talk to your counselor if you have any questions or concerns on how they report grades.</p>

<p>We’re in week 3 of the fall semester and school had an open house last night. Talked to the GC and found out only 2 from our HS made NMSF. GC wanted the application returned to her by tomorrow but my DS worked over the holiday weekend and got it finished up. Turned it in yesterday. Now the long wait begins until the finalists are announced at the end of Jan '10.</p>

<p>GEORGIA- Anyone have an update on the cut-off score? Last posting was <=214. DD has 213…</p>