<p>Seven apps. Texas A&M sent the letter granting admission to a student with the same last name. He got two letters in his envelope. Thank goodness his father called us. We did receive a letter telling D to choose a New Student Conference date. That’s how we figured out she was accepted.</p>
<p>“When my son saw how incompetent their admissions offices were, he gladly rejected their offers of admission.”</p>
<p>This happened to me as well. I am, however, a student of HMC and I will just go on record and state that just because the administration is blah at Mudd this doesn’t mean that the Faculty is blah. The faculty is great and it sounds immature that you would discount a school based upon administrative errors when the teaching faculty and the learning experience should be at the top of your list.</p>
<p>And yes, I have had great misfortune due to the errors of the administration. They lost my housing deposit last year resulting in me getting “last” on the room draw priority. Even though I hated Mudd at that time, I really hated the administration and not the professors or programs…There is a big difference.</p>
<p>I completely agree with rocketDA. A few years ago my undergrad department was up for ABET accreditation. They asked us to each say something we disliked about the school. About 80% of us said the administration from the university, but each of us qualified it by saying how our department is the polar opposite. I found the university staff to be unhelpful, unfriendly, inefficient, and about as frustrating as visiting the DMV on Saturday afternoon. However, individual departments at the school were all top notch with friendly staff that would bend over backward to help you get something done (and avoid central administration while at it). What was great was when a few different people trickled in late and were asked the question, most all of them echoed the earlier responses.</p>
<p>It’s another great reason to try and talk to professors or people in the department your student is interested in joining. You’ll get a much better feel for what the quality of life is versus just talking with some tour guide from the opposite end of the academic spectrum from yourself.</p>
<p>33.3% – D applied to 3 schools, one lost part of her application. The same school also misspelled her last name in some databases – we never did convince the staff that she was one and the same person. </p>
<p>It gave us an interesting insight into what it would be like to navigate those particular bureaucratic waters. D lost interest pronto.</p>
<p>Applied to 5 schools. Only problem at any school is Villanova keeps saying that we have not signed the VN Financial Aid app that they received. My mom and I KNOW we signed the original(we kept a copy), but sent another anyway. THey STILL don’t acknowledge that they recieved it. The other unusual thing was Villanova’s admissions dept. DEFERRED me the same week I got a call from the Honors program saying they were really interested in me coming there, what would it take, etc. and was I happy to be admitted early. I told them that ummmmm…I wasn’t admitted, I was deferred. Dead silence. Then she said she would clear that up immediately. No lie, it was changed online in FIFTEEN MINUTES!!</p>
<p>Son applied to five schools. Four got everything. The fifth (rolling admissions) originally told him that they had received everything and to expect a decision in two to three weeks. A month went by, so he called and asked and was again assured that they had everything and to expect a decision within a couple of weeks. Another month went by, so he called and asked yet again and was told that they had everything except the application (which he had submitted online via the Universal College Application website.) He resubmitted the application, this time using the link on the school website and was admitted a week later.</p>
<p>By the way, all five were LAC’s, the one that lost the app was large and the other four were small to medium.</p>
<p>Nothing lost at 6 medium sized schools and no social security number was used.</p>