Regents Set to Raise Tuition in California by 32 Percent

<p>“I get your point, but I like accuracy.”
I intended to say engineering but I was afraid it’s too cliche. I just randomly google nursing.</p>

<p>Engineering, nursing, it’s all tinkering with broken things. :)</p>

<p>It doesn’t have to be Yale et al. It can be Random Expensive Private School, at $50k a year. Or slightly less expensive private school at $45k or $40k. There are prices all the way up and down the selectivity ladder, so single-digit admissions rates aren’t the issue. If a California kid from a full-pay family desperately wants to go to, say, St. Johns in Baltimore or Muhlenberg or Macalester, and is choosing between those schools or one of the lower-tier UC’s at $30k a year, you might be looking at pretty close to financial break-even.</p>

<p>I can bet with you that not many kids and parents in CA know and are thrilled with St. Johns in Baltimore or Muhlenberg or Macalester. They don’t even know Caltech, Harvey Mudd, or Pomona (well they do know CSU Pomona). Even Olin College that gives free tuition but not many kids in CA know and apply. They want big names and big campuses.</p>

<p>UCLA and UC Riverside are not equal.</p>

<p>And that’s another point…</p>

<p>Over the years (before this crisis), why hasn’t more been done to “beef up” UCR ? What’s the point of having a UC that no one wants to go?</p>

<p>I’m not saying that UCR needs to be on par with UCLA, but it shouldn’t be a school whose incoming freshmen have lowish stats.</p>

<p>Why did they bother building UCM, when they should have been beefing up UCR and possibly expanding UCSF to include undergrad?</p>

<p>UCR is like a UC-Lite for those who “qualify” for a UC, but don’t get to go to a real UC.</p>

<p>The politicians in Sacramento want to build UCM.
Expanding UCSF to undergrad: no land, no room. Besides nobody wants to dilute UCSF specialty.</p>

<p>UCR will have a med school in 2012. Currently, they have this cooperative program with UCLA for UCR premeds =
[UCR</a> Division of Biomedical Sciences - Home](<a href=“http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/]UCR”>http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/)</p>

<p>My friend’s daughter attended here, then transferred to UCLA med school. She’s now in residency.</p>

<p>I guess CA kids want beaches and city life.</p>

<br>

<br>

<p>Hey, don’t sell UCR short. USNWR ranks it in the top 100, ahead of schools such as Nebraska, Kansas, Florida State, Arizona, Missouri, TCU, Washington State, and Tennessee.</p>

<p>^^^
I realize that. But, many students would choose FSU, TCU, Arizona, and others over UCR if everything was equal. These schools offer a more full campus life - including rah rah. LOL</p>

<p>It wouldn’t do any good to go to Sacramento to protest because we already did that when they raised CSU rates 32% for Fall 2009. Furloughed staff 10% of their pay, and 2 or 3 days per month. We couldn’t get the classes we needed to graduate and yes, EVERY ONE OF US was angry since the regents never fail to get massive pay increases when professors get little to nothing. I’m suppose to graduate in December and I can’t wait to get out!!! I have watched my fees go from $160 per unit the Fall 2007, climb 10% per semester and 32% this last semester, with threats of it climbing again in Spring 2010. </p>

<p>Now the Community College my son is going to is laying off 17 instructors, closing the library, EOPS, and DSPS. </p>

<p>What happened to California’s pledge to affordable education to all residents of any age.
Yeah, right!</p>

<p>Don’t know about the other California schools but the high schools and community colleges here near Sacramento do not tell students about any fee waivers, and most of the kids do not qualify for the grants for some reason, so they get stuck with loans only. If they transfer to CSUS as a junior they are now paying $2450 per semester in fees and receive $2500 per semester as a subsidized loan which won’t pay for gas, food, housing, $153 for semester parking fee and $200-500 for books.</p>

<p>Personally, when son is ready to graduate from community college I may buy him a house just accross the border to Oregon or Nevada since both have colleges willing to take CA students without charging OOS fees. But that prospect saddens me.</p>

<p>*Don’t know about the other California schools but the high schools and community colleges here near Sacramento do not tell students about any fee waivers, and most of the kids do not qualify for the grants for some reason, so they get stuck with loans only. If they transfer to CSUS as a junior they are now paying $2450 per semester in fees and receive $2500 per semester as a subsidized loan which won’t pay for gas, food, housing, $153 for semester parking fee and $200-500 for books. *</p>

<p>What’s the avg income in the area? Many/most may not qualify for waivers, That may be why the GCs don’t mention them. But, if there are such students that might qualify, the GC should mention them. :)</p>

<p>I think the expectation is that these commuting students are supposed to get part-time jobs during the school year and work many hours during the summer, to pay for books, gas, supplies, misc. I don’t think the system was set up for the student to contribute nothing. </p>

<p>Many of these kids are going to have a hard time with loan payback anyway. I student who borrows $22k for undergrad may not get that high paying of a job during his first years of employment. His payment would be about $300 a month. That’s like another car payment. So, letting them borrow more wouldn’t necessarily “fix” the problem.</p>

<p>That’s just my take on the set up.</p>

<p>But, I also realize it’s getting more and more difficult for kids to get part-time jobs. :(</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Do you mean they don’t publish the info anywhere?
Back in the time there was no internet, I had to get all leaflets to read info about FA.
Sometimes I had to use library typewriters to type and send letters to request for info.
Now in my area, sometimes I see advertisements on city buses telling people to go to community colleges to get free money. I think this is too much, if not wasting money.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I had trouble understanding this.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>UCR is one of the few UCs that has ethnic diversity that isn’t mostly of the Asian kind. UCR’s extensive outreach and retention programs have contributed to its reputation as a “campus of choice” for minority students, including LGBT students.</p>

<p>Is Asian ethnic diversity a bad thing? Discrimination???</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Sounds like excellent spin to me. The simple fact is the surrounding counties are a majority minority (Hispanic + Black >50%) – UCR’s applicant pool just reflects its backyard.</p>

<p>bluebayou, I read an LA Times article sometime in the last decade about an African-American high school student who’d been admitted to UCLA, maybe also Cal. Possibly also some good privates. The young man had excellent stats, was definitely in at UCLA on his own academic merits. After touring the different schools, he chose Riverside precisely because of those outreach and retention programs. Anecdotes aren’t data, but this story really stuck in my mind.</p>

<p>Unless a kid has lowish stats or needs to commute to school, his first choice for a UC school is not UCR.</p>

<p>However, if UCR gets a med school and possibly some other desirable program (such as accelerated med school) or vet school, it won’t become a popular first choice school.</p>

<p>BTW…I hope I’m remembering this right, on the UC app, a student can’t indicate which UCs are his 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, choice schools, can he? (I know a lot would put UCB and UCLA are top choices.)</p>