Should I mark down Native American and African American on my future application?

<p>
[quote]
Whatever honor you gain in being rejected due to your unwillingness to exploit a technicality will not equal your pleasure at being admitted, I assure you.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Exactly! This is no time to get all moralistic.</p>

<p>"And what to you mean by descendent's of black slaves in the U.S. My mother is from Central America, and is Black - Latina, does that make her Black in your definition, no. Black is anyone with African Ancestry."</p>

<p>Not true. Black is anyone with black African heritage. Someone can be South American and black or European and black.</p>

<p>"African American" is anyone whose ancestors were black U.S. slaves.</p>

<p>"This wouldn't apply to the OP because he actually does have Indian blood, as his great-grandmother was full Cherokee Indian."</p>

<p>Until very recently, the descendants of the black slaves of the Cherokees were considered full members of the Cherokee tribe -- i.e. full Cherokee Indians.</p>

<p>^ ^ In the federal definitions, "Black" and "African American" are exact synonyms. </p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Black</a> or African American persons, percent, 2000 </p>

<p>My thanks to the CC participant who first pointed to this federal webpage a few years ago, when this question came up in another thread.</p>

<p>im 1/64th chickasaw but i still check the box. It all depends on if you have the CDIB card and then citizenship. every tribe is different and if you're considered native american with your tribe, you are for college apps. They can't say if you are or not. And there are sooo many scholarships out there for native americans for all you Natives out there. Take advantage!</p>

<p>^ So one of your great-great-great-grandparent was a Chickasaw and you identify as a Native American? People like you screw up what little decency there was supposed to be in this already flawed system. </p>

<p>Of course some tribes are willing to consider you as native american... boosting their numbers in any shady way does more to help their representation in their lobbies and help generate political pressure for more government money and special privileges. A century and a half separates you from your closest native relation, and all you can think about is to milk a system designed for those with real disadvantages in life. People like you are the reason only reason why I remain opposed to the current system of affirmative action.</p>

<p>You know it's really sad that you are posting on the internet to decide basically what race you should put down on an application. I bet for all the other things that you had to put your race down for you didn't hesitate so much.</p>

<p>^ What?*</p>

<p>From my understanding, this forum is meant to offer guidance in the sticky and oft confusing world that is college applications. The OP is asking a simple question that will have a rather potent on his/her future. What is really sad is that you felt the need to call someone out on it, rather than offering up any solution. I'm sure very few "other things" will have the same ramifications that College Acceptances will.</p>

<p>Oh sorry for my confusion, I should keep in mind to read the whole thread, not just the title. Thanks^</p>

<p>
[quote]
From my understanding, this forum is meant to offer guidance in the sticky and oft confusing world that is college applications. The OP is asking a simple question that will have a rather potent on his/her future. What is really sad is that you felt the need to call someone out on it, rather than offering up any solution. I'm sure very few "other things" will have the same ramifications that College Acceptances will.

[/quote]
</p>

<p>Yes, the OP is asking a question that will have a great impact on his/her future. No, the forum is not here just to offer college admissions guidance; a lot more goes on here than that. Yes, any poster can "call someone out on" anything said on this forum. By posting on a public forum, he or she has submitted her opinion to public scrutiny and also any relevant criticism. No, we don't have to provide a solution to the poster's "dilemma" in how he or she can get away with scamming the affirmative action system. Yes, I'm entitled to my personal opinion that many people applying on the basis of affirmative action are scamming the system. </p>

<p>The OP has made a very vague description of his or her personal circumstances. It's hard to draw any solid "solutions" for someone who's a self described one-eighth Native American and a "descendant of slaves". What the heck does descendant mean? I'm supposedly a descendant of a unicellular organism at some point? Not even the OP is sure if he or she counts as a Native American. Let's all pull out our own interpretations of what makes you not White, Chinese, Indian, Black, Hispanic enough for college admissions. I'm sure there's a simple solution out there somewhere.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yes, that's what I said. No, I did not say that was just what the forum is for. No, I did not say no one was allowed to call anyone out. Funny, didn't say anyone had to post a solution to the OP's problem either, as neither have I done so. No, I couldn't care less what your position on affirmative action is.</p>

<p>So Dr. Gryffon, other than your utterly unenlightening first paragraph, we agree on the point that the OP is in a bind. I called out sstewart, and you called me out. This was resolved between sstewart and me last night, but since you responded I had to respond. Happy? :)</p>

<p>Identifying race can be so confusing sometimes. My family is composed of British-born Nigerians, and I am one of them. I'm only an American through my parents citizenship. I know my tribe and can speak the language, so I just checked African and African American on the common app. Just check what you most identify with, don't think about what will get you into the university. You can elaborate on your choices somewhere else in your application.</p>