Skidmore - Experiences thus far from a freshman parent

So funny, and I agree my predictions don’t mean much either these days!

Hi SuntasticMom, My son got in tonight! I applied to join the Parent FB group; hopefully they will accept me soon.

3 Likes

Did you apply test optional to the FB group? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Congratulations!! That is wonderful news! The parent FB group is very responsive and welcoming – will see you over there. If you ever have any questions I am happy to answer them too!

I posted there last night. They admitted me right away. Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you! My son was just admitted ED. This is great information. Why does the Fiske guide say “dorms are like palaces?” I assumed the housing was above average. My son has severe allergies. I wonder how they handle that. He’ll need AC because he often can’t keep the windows open.

3 Likes

Hi. Don’t know but maybe Fiske saw the upperclassman housing. Juniors and seniors live in the apartments which are modern and super nice. It’s like living in a townhouse development very close to campus.

Some freshman dorms do have a/c! What I would do as the spring/summer approaches is get a note from his doctor and send that in to Residential Life services and ask them the procedure to get a dorm with a/c. If he can’t open windows at all that may be a case for getting a single too if he wants one. My sense is that if you have a medical reason they will accommodate that. Good luck and congratulations on his acceptance, I am sure it will work out!

1 Like

I suggest you contact the office of disability services. Find out what documentation is needed (likely a doctor’s note) and when it needs to be sent in by to be certain he gets placed in a room with air conditioning or that a window unit is put in his room.

Congrats on his admission to Skidmore!

@regiarc Did you son decide to apply to Skidmore? :grinning:

Sorry for the delay in responding. Hadn’t been looking at this discussion lately, after he applied. Which answers your question. Applied RD, so will be a while.

Good luck! :grinning: