I sooo understand this! My kiddo is truly lucky to get into Georgia Tech because tuition is free with in-state merit, it’s a great school with a great reputation, the new program she applied for is perfect for her, she’ll get to march with the band, etc. And it’s like a 45-minute drive for us (or, you know, 3 hours in Atlanta traffic lol, but we’re used to that).
It didn’t make any sense not to choose it, so she did. But she really kind of wanted to go away and have an adventure – far away from where anyone else in her class is going.
So sorry that happened. That was not my daughter’s experience with the school at all. We know a bunch of kids who have loved their time at Warren Wilson. But honestly she just didn’t like the hippie vibe and didn’t want to get her hands dirty on the farm. She’s more of an indoor girl. It’s a really special place, though, and H and I both sorta wish we could’ve gone there.
If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that a college can be a wonderful school, but not right for every student who attends. So many factors go into it.
That’s well out of character for Warren Wilson as a whole. Several family members have gone there, and several of my former students. It’s a pretty special place.
But since none of us were there we really don’t know what went on. Bullying really does not sound at all like the Warren Wilson I know. In fact that’s the one thing my daughter missed when she transferred — how much nicer everyone had been there than at her new school even though she didn’t feel like WWC was the right fit for her. (She ended up transferring a third time too.)
I was glad that my kid was not at WWC when Hurricane Helene wiped out the Asheville area. Kids were stuck at school, which luckily had no major damage, for weeks without power but the school is super resourceful and they all worked together to keep everyone fed and housed and safe.
I don’t think this thread is supposed to be about negative hearsay about schools. I think it’s supposed to be about which school you love that got away so seems inappropriate to yuck someone else’s yum.
Wellesley is the one that got away for me! I saw myself buying lots of merch, planning regular mom-daughter-and-her-new-friends weekends (because just a shortish drive away!), offering to help out with careers related the department that I have close ties to…basically a whole four years of fun living vicariously. Which I totally, completely get (and support!) that this is not what’s most important to D26. Nor should it be. She chose a much bigger university with a highly respected art program–her dream school.
I absolutely loved Wellesley when we visited. I thought they deployed their incredible resources and wealth better than any other wealthy school I’m aware of. And the community and learning environment is really special. D26 did not apply largely due to location and weather, but we all loved what they were doing there. It is the one that got away in the decisions on where to apply phase for me.
One of my favorite colleagues, someone I admire for both his abilities as well as his professional demeanor, is a WW graduate, later to graduate from Stanford Law School. I like to think it was his time at WW that made him who he is and I’m sure he would concur. Incidentally, he is one of the most easy going and helpful people with whom I have ever worked. A gem of a guy.
@NemesisLead So sorry to hear about this. I had often thought that Wellesley would be great fit for my DC, actively rooted for it tbh, just discussed this the other day with another poster. A friend of our DC goes there currently and is not having the best time. The town, the beautiful campus, the world-class alumni network. All those are real things. In the end, though, what’s more important, the chance for an amazing “outcome,” or the chance for an enjoyable 4-year college experience?
Absolutely correct. D26 has to chart her own course in life and is of age to make major decisions. I am trying my best to not provide any advice other than encouraging her to do research. Mom is providing active pressure which is not helping and is actually creating “reactionary” poor thinking.