The Value of a Undergrad MSE degree

<p>I think you are still better off with MSE. </p>

<p>As you progress in your study and at work, you will learn a lot of new stuff, even if they aren't really used in your fields. A good undergraduate program will allow you to build a solid background in your prospective field. </p>

<p>But I think you are still better off with MSE as undergraduate, if you are sure you want to do it.</p>

<p>Otherwise, I am not against taking ChemE as undergraduate. You might actually find more jobs in ChemE than MSE. One of our most famous alumi, a co-founder of Intel, Andrew Grove, was a ChemE. In fact, many electronic businesses today begin with ChemE founders. LMAO</p>

<p>This is why undergraduate program is really important. You really have to learn the stuff, remember most of them (at least know what they are), and apply them whenever you can. This is true regardless whether you want to stay in academia, which is only about research (unless you choose to work as adjunct professor :) , or you want to work in a company (or even start your own at some points).</p>

<p>The downside of not taking MSE as undergraduate are just that (1) you might have to spend extra semester or two to complete some prerequisite, and (2) extra time to learn technical MSE.
However, being a ChemE as undergraduate might be very helpful because then you will have additional knowledge and insights in material sciences.</p>

<p>If you don't find yourself comfortable with spending some extra times, and you are the type of student that needs to understand everything, and hate to check definitions over and over again, then I think MSE as undergraduate.</p>

<p>Otherwise, ChemE, or even Mechanical wouldn't hurt. It also opens your potential employment too :)</p>