Going to Ireland in the off season. First time. Traveling east to west and attending some family functions so should be a hoot.
Trips on my list: Myanmar, Pltivices in Croatia and perhaps Montenegro, Laos and more time in Vietnam (places like Sapa), CapeTown. Puglia and Sicily.
Am heading on a business trip to Israel and the client has organized a skilled guide to take U.S on a walk in Jerusalem. I did this before. One of my traveling high points as there is so much history (and so much blood) on every rock. Highly recommended.
I was hoping ShawWife would join me for this trip but her knee hasn’t quite recovered enough from knee replacement surgery in September. I’ve got a trip to San Diego in Nov and she will come early with me and we’ll take a few days vacation there. She has never been to San Diego. What would you suggest doing there/
My wife and I went to Kauai for our 25th anniversary and I have to say it has moved near the top of our list. There is something so perfectly relaxing about snorkeling with the sea turtles then sitting and eating a shave ice. I really want to get a backpacking permit and hang out on the Na Pali Coast.
@Magnetron - hike the Kalalau Trail. Make sure to spend a couple of days camping on the beach at the trail end. It is magical.
The beach there is not swimmable and a rare boat can reach it, but it just makes it more awesome. I sort of grew out of camping, but I will do that kind of camping in a heartbeat. 
Haven’t read the entire thread, but Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. Was my favorite place when I spent time after college graduation with friends touring all over Europe, and finally took my family back this year. Still stunning. Currently have it as the background on the wall tv in my office at work. Everyone who comes in just stares and says “wow!”
@shawbridge - what part of San Diego are you staying in? La Jolla is a nice place to go for a walk near the beach then have lunch or dinner at George’s or Eddie V’s for great views. Herringbone is also nice to eat at, but no ocean views. Coronado is another place for a great beach walk, then visit the hotel Del. If you like hiking Torrey Pines is beautiful and most of the hikes are not too difficult. Balboa Park has the zoo which is world class and many lovely museums. Little Italy is fun for lunch or dinner with a lot of great places to choose from. The Liberty Station Public Market is also a great place to eat with lots of choices. We like the Buona Forchetta (Italian) which is at Liberty Station and also Southpark. Make sure to have a light jacket or sweater for the evenings which do cool a bit come November.
@shawbridge to add to showmom’s nice list:
-Gaslamp quarter in downtown for nice selection of restaurants and live music at night
-Point Loma (Cabrillo National Monument)
-Old Town San Diego
@CALSmom and @showmom858, thanks. I’m not sure where we are staying. I put it in the hands of my assistant to use my Hilton points to find a place on the beach. My work is at the Aviara resort. We love hiking, but she will still be somewhat hobbled (a little under 3 months after the first knee replacement) but I figured walks on the beach would be just the thing.
I’m an “anyplace in Maine, too.” But D1 and her bf just flew to San Francisco (she was invited as his +1 to a business shindig.) Ahhh. Im secretly hoping they offer him a transfer. Small chance, but a mama can dream.
Hi @shawbridge
We will be going to eastern Europe next may and I am intrigued by the idea of Pltivices in Croatia. Could you please say more about the best way to visit it?
@shawbridge Aviara resort is in Carlsbad known for beach, Legoland and outlets 
There is the Village of Carlsbad that has shops and restaurants with good live music in the evenings
My D visited Plitvice last summer. They drove from Budapest. I recall her saying the drive took longer than they expected. It only takes a day to visit. She sent beautiful photos of Plitvice. They continued on to Piran, Slovenia. Also visited lake Bled, and traveled through Austria and back to Budapest.
Two “must visit” tourist destinations, IMHO:
Province of Palawan, Philippines (Puerto Princesa, El Nido, Coron, Busuanga)
Bavaria, Germany (Munich, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Berchtesgaden, Oberammergau, Neuschwanstein Castle)
We loved Croatia (Dubrovnik and islands). Here is a link on ways to get there: http://www.visit-croatia.co.uk/index.php/croatia-destinations/plitvice-lakes/getting-to-plitvice-lakes-national-park/.
Stunningly beautiful: New Zealand, Amalfi Coast & Capri, Kenya
Fascinating culturally: Israel, Kenya, Santa Fe, Rome
Let’s party: Hawaii, Cancun, NYC
Favorite Cities: Paris, Amsterdam, Boston
Major disappointments: Mexico in general, London, Jamaica
Bucket list: Patagonia, Drive along coast from Washington to California, Petra (Jordan)
@mmmorse- About the Dakotas, I would agree there isn’t a lot there but…we did enjoy Theodore Roosevelt National Park on our drive home from Glacier National Park. Wild horses and hardly anyone else in the park made it rather unique. I also love Custer State Park in South Dakota. You can drive through and have bison and wild donkeys come right up to your car. Very beautiful place.