Did you call them yet? If you haven’t already, I would suggest that you WAIT until you know the waitlist decision. Don’t give them more reason to deny you right now…Once they finalize the SIR’s and start pulling from the waitlist, I imagine (and this is totally my opinion, nothing to back it) that they’ll be more lenient with bad grades, dropped classes etc. because by the time they’re going to the waitlist, they’re going to be merely filling seats up. They’ve already reviewed your application just like the others.
Like Imagine this scenario: You’re a Global Health major on the waitlist with a 3.1, you get off the waitlist during your spring quarter (yay) but then your spring grades come out early June and you have 2 F’s (not yay). BUT there are still two unfilled spots for that global health major, and if UCSD doesn’t fill the spots, then they are missing out on big time money. I mean this is probably the worst possible scenario with the best possible outcome, but still.
EDIT: DO notify if/when you are taken off the waitlist IMMEDIATELY. I don’t see you having any problem though since they are both acceptable pre-reqs. Just let them know so they don’t suspect any shadiness on your part once you send in your final transcripts and there’s a class they don’t know about.