Universities Ranked by Prestige

<p>Wake Forest, Boston College, William & Mary, Tufts all have to be in top 30 for any prestige list to be legit.</p>

<p>swish... why? None of those schools has enough Ph.D. production to make it into the top 30...</p>

<p>If prestige correlated to undergraduate excellence, then Williams, Swarthmore, Amherst, Bowdoin, Wellesley, Pomona, Carleton, et. al would need to be included as well, but it isn't.</p>

<p>Potatoes, somehow, the pieces seem to have fallen in the right places. I would drop MIT one or two notches though. Harvard is the undisputed prestige heavyweight.</p>

<p><<<tufts all="" have="" to="" be="" in="" top="" 30="" for="" any="" prestige="" list="" legit.="">>></tufts></p>

<p>But definitely! </p>

<p><<<swish... why?="" none="" of="" those="" schools="" has="" enough="" ph.d.="" production="" to="" make="" it="" into="" the="" top="" 30...="">>></swish...></p>

<p>an erroneous statement; Tufts has Phd programs a-plenty, from the bio-sciences to the humanities. What drivel.</p>

<p>OP, good list except that I would exchange MIT and Harvard, as well as, Berkeley and Columbia places. Columbia is quite prestigious, but I don't think that, in general, it is more prestigious than UC Berkeley. Brown should not be in the top 15. I'd replace that with Michigan. I'd bump Northwestern up too. And, NO school on earth is more prestigious than Harvard. But I haven't read your methodology yet.</p>

<p>"Wake Forest, Boston College, William & Mary, Tufts all have to be in top 30 for any prestige list to be legit."</p>

<p>Wake Forest is #40. It really doesn't perform well in any category. W&M is #39 held back largely by a low revealed preference and academic score. Tufts is #36, and does ok but not great in all of the categories.</p>

<p>As for the LACs mentioned, I only ran the formula on national universities. Another formula would have to be developed for LACs as some elements of this one would not be applicable to those schools.</p>

<p>As for MIT coming out on top. I personally tend to think MIT is more prestigious, and it beats Harvard in just about every category. They tie in peer assessments (at first place), Harvard wins the WSJ ranking (but probably because less MIT kids are interested in those programs), MIT wins on the graduate program assessments, Harvard slightly edges MIT out on the revealed preferences, and MIT beats Harvard when it comes to media buzz. MIT, after all, does have a reputation as the place you go to become a science genius, which carries a lot of prestige.</p>

<p>I think that movies and media are adding up to school's prestige.</p>

<p>Schools often mentioned on movies, tv, media, prints:</p>

<p>Harvard
Yale
MIT
Princeton
Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
NYU
Columbia
Chicago</p>

<p>If prestige is based merely off familiarity and being mentioned in movies / TV / etc., then it is MEANINGLESS. It is merely familiarity and top-of-mind awareness. At least then be honest and say that the measure is which schools have broadest top of mind awareness, rather than say which schools are most prestigious. These are two entirely different things.</p>

<p>I'm not measuring top of the mind awareness. It should be obvious that some very well-known schools did poorly in the rankings. Prestige is the combination of awareness and esteem. As I've said, media mentions are just a proxy, but I am of the opinion, that they are a very good one, and I think that most people would agree that the rankings produced are basically what you would expect.</p>

<p>"I think that movies and media are adding up to school's prestige."</p>

<p>Transformers 2 was filmed in UPenn's campus. Not gonna lie, that's what got me interested in checking it out and learning about it. I'm sure it's helped other people learn about it too</p>

<p>No, prestige is not a combination of broad awareness and esteem. It is esteem among those who count. The masses don't have taste or knowledge.</p>

<p>I would add Caltech, Cornell, Georgetown, Michigan and Notre Dame to universities often mentioned in movies. For example, Michigan was mentioned in over 20 movies, including the following:</p>

<p>Air Force One
American Pie
Big Chill
Eyes Wide Shut
Good Will Hunting
The Program
Waterboy</p>

<p>Pizzagirl, I agree with you. I am not impressed if a university is prestigious among 18 or 19 year old children or among the averagely educated masses. I am far more interested in what faculty at top universities, leading intellectuals and corporate leaders think. The PA of the USNWR is a pretty good indication of what faculty and leading intectuals think...and matches potatoes prestige ranking relatively well. There is no ptrestige ranking that reflects the opinion of corporate leaders.</p>

<p>Movies may play a marginal role in increasing university prestige among the broad public, but only some of them. Movies where the prestige and quality are a plot point tend to, I think slightly generate college prestige. For example, in the movie 21, the intelligence of MIT students and the desirability of going to Harvard Medical School are both significant plot points. This may do something for Harvard's prestige. Similarly, in The Girl Next Door, the protagonist is depicted as very smart and one of his key desires is to go to Georgetown. This may do something for Georgetown's prestige, though again only with the broad public. On the other hand, a movie like the Exorcist, set and filmed at and around Georgetown, doesn't do much to boost Georgetown's prestige. I'd argue that a film like Legally Blonde doesn't do much for Harvard, but we could debate that. A lot of college movies are all about drinking and sex; being depicted in those probably has, if anything, a negative effect on prestige - which is probably why many are set at fictional universities.</p>

<p>On the whole, though, I don't think that which universities are in the movies says much about prestige. If anything, it reflects rather than defines prestige.</p>

<p>
[quote]
The PA of the USNWR is a pretty good indication of what faculty and leading intectuals think...

[/quote]
</p>

<p>I disagree. What does the president of Davidson College in NC, say, know about what is going on at Drake in Iowa? What does the president of Purdue know about what's going on at Occidental? To some extent, even those rankings reflect "Well, I'm being asked to rate Harvard, so it's got to be good" or "I've never heard of Drake" as opposed to any kind of real awareness or knowledge.</p>

<p>Texas is not in the top 20. Northwestern should be higher.</p>

<p>quote: "None of those schools has enough Ph.D. production"</p>

<p>Sad commentary on education.</p>

<p>I have to agree w pgirl re PA scores. They seem to be unverifiable-surveys filled out by administration folks rather than academics (though some may have been academics in the past). It's sort of the light weight academic barometer. I prefer to know the amount of actual scholarly production or faculty awards like Fulbrights, McArthurs and Nobels. And membership in the national academies. It's important to separate marketing from academic prestige.</p>

<p>
[quote]
There is no ptrestige ranking that reflects the opinion of corporate leaders.

[/quote]

Actually there is, but some people argued that it is primarily based on postgrad.</p>

<p>Methodology:</a> A simple overview | Top Universities</p>

<p>Employer Review</p>

<p>Similar to the Academic Peer Review, this indicator is based on a global online survey, this time distributed to employers. Results are again based on three years worth of "latest response" data. Geographical weightings are again applied to ensure fair representation from key regions of the world.</p>

<p>Here's the top 15</p>

<p>1 Harvard
2 MIT
3 Stanford
4 Berkeley
5 Yale
6 Cornell
7 Chicago
8 Michigan
9 Columbia
10 Duke
11 UPenn
12 UCLA
13 Princeton
14 CMU
15 Northwestern</p>

<p>West Point must be in the list of schools often mentioned on media, movies and tv.</p>