<p>I don’t understand why people get so upset over this. You should be expected to continue the academic performance demonstrated in your application. Taking it easy your final semester isn’t the same thing as blowing off the whole semester and causing your grades to nosedive.</p>
<p>And it’s not like you don’t have a summer to relax before you go to college and have to start working again.</p>
<p>I clicked on your link. Don’t you think five years out of date is a bit old? Five years ago, for example, Vanderbilt was taking 30% of applicants, now it only takes 15%. I should think that TCU has become somewhat more competitive, especially as its football team has become better known and this phenomenon usually triggers greater interest (for whatever reason . . .)</p>
<p>TCU’s admission rate is probably 50% or so. It will have perfect A students, but probably alot of B students. It just doesn’t want D/F students.</p>
<p>My acceptance letter from Appalachian State was already Fear of God letter. It made it very clear that any significant drop in grades could mean a rescinded acceptance. Most of my acceptance letters had something about that, but App’s was particularly strong on the subject.</p>
<p>Fortunately, my senior year got a lot easier and I actually have one of my best report cards from all of high school second semester. I have no sympathy for students who might receive letters like this or actually do get acceptances rescinded. God forbid information that students actually need before starting college-level work is still taught in the second half of the school year, right? </p>
<p>I think it would be really entertaining to see how these students would explain themselves.</p>
<p>Did it list a specific GPA or other clear threshold, or did it vaguely say “any significant drop in grades” without specifying what a “significant drop” was?</p>
<p>We’re sort of like your college, which will be pretty uptight about maintaining a GPA to keep your scholarship (or just to graduate). Or your future employers who will likely be pretty uptight about showing up on time and completing your assignments.</p>
Of course it didn’t have specific numbers - since the extra-curricular qualifications of the students are consider as well, why suddenly decide to have thresholds now? It did mention specifically failing any class, being disciplined by the school, or committing any crimes as possible deal-breakers. </p>
<p>
Welcome to the real world. Students are expected to learn, and information is still being taught. Like the Sewanee representative mentioned, their study skills will atrophy. A whole semester of slacking off plus summer is equal to about 8 months of not using study skills, and THEN they’re going to jump into college? </p>
<p>It’s mentioned that rescinding happens very rarely, meaning that if someone is SO undisciplined that they received one, they probably weren’t ready for college. Let’s say as a college student, you’re a pre-med student who finds out they got into med school. So then you stop doing work in your courses. Do you think that nothing was taught that you need to be ready for med school?</p>
Sure. Most of them do this just fine. You’re right, of course, that extreme slacking off (as in getting Ds or Fs) might be a clue that the student isn’t really ready for college. All I’m saying here is that every year we see a bunch of kids get scared about being rescinded when they dropped to a B in a couple of courses, and it’s just not happening.</p>
<p>This. Some students may elect to take more difficult classes their senior year (for whatever reason) which might explain a few C’s. But failing classes when you used to have a B or even a C average just shows colleges that you aren’t willing to see things through to the end. </p>
<p>In the end, it’s up to the colleges to decide what constitutes poor academic performance (unless they have a specific cutoff). However, I still think they should take into account the fact that senioritis does exist, and is quite common. Students may be burned out from 4 continuous years of preparing for college (especially if they were doing summer classes or internship) and perhaps it is logical for them to cut back the intensity during the last few weeks/months of their senior year.</p>
<p>But if a student just stops working, they should get rescinded.</p>
<p>Son of a very good friend of mine, UC Santa Cruz rescinded admission along with a scholarship to music department. All grades were As except for a D in in English. This happened about 5 years ago. It was pretty devasting to everyone concerned.</p>
<p>Do you decide who wins a baseball game after the 7th inning? Is the Super Bowl over after the 3rd quarter? What about college? If I agree to hire a college student in January and then she slacks off what should I expect from this person as an employee? If you’re a high school senior you’re 18+/-. Time to grow up kiddies, it’s a cold cruel world out there.</p>
<p>That could lead to a situation where the student and school could have different ideas about what a “significant” drop is, or leave the student unsure of whether s/he should matriculate to a school with a vague threshold for rescinding admission.</p>
<p>For example, if the student was admitted with a 3.5 GPA but thinks that s/he will get a 3.3 senior year, and sees the possibility of rescinding admission due to a “significant drop” in grades, that makes the admission letter less certain than if it said that the admission may be rescinded “if any previously reported academic courses are dropped, any senior year grades are D or F, or senior year GPA is below 3.0”.</p>
<p>Considering that English is a core high school course requirement for university admission, the university is much less likely to cut a student any slack for a D in English as it might if the D were in some course above and beyond the high school course requirements for university admission, especially a non-academic course.</p>
<p>It’s not very detailed, either. And the policy itself admits to being arbitrary (“as determined by the Committee”). But being a non-flagship state school that accepts B/C students to begin with, I’d imagine it would have to be QUITE the drop. It would probably take failing a class outright, doing very poorly in a core subject, or getting arrested to come anywhere close to being rescinded.</p>
<p>EDIT: Number 2 on the eligibility list reminded me the immunization records part of that requirement isn’t in. I should probably knock that out, didn’t know it was grounds for being rescinded. Good thing I looked it up I guess.</p>
<p>I have nothing against Christians or Atheists; all I ask is that we leave religious arguments our of a LEARNING/EDUCATIONAL forum. And this article sent shivers down my spine - one of my best buddies is going to Sewanee University of the South in the fall, and he’s been getting straight B’s and C’s because of senioritis. May whoever/whatever is up there (if it exists) help all seniors, cause we DEF need it!</p>
<p>If I was an adcom, I would rescind anyone with an average of a full grade drop from what was on the application, and/or any grade less than a C. (Of course, I would willingly accept a good excuse – death of a parent, for example.)</p>