<p>^In fact, LA is one of the most natural stops for connecting flights between South Bend and Hawaii.</p>
<p>I’d have felt obligated to visit a friend struggling against leukemia even if he/she isn’t a close friend.</p>
<p>If you feel “intimate” to someone, you’d want to get close or see the person! It’s the first thing in any normal person’s mind, not “never cross my mind”!</p>
<p>One reasonable explanation I have is that Manti were never emotionally close to the person. While he might be duped in this case, he’s probably also duping the fake girl and the rest of us. The deception went both ways between the fake girl and himself. He’s using the fake cancer patient for publicity.</p>
<p>I wonder if all this bad publicity will make female students rank Notre Dame lower on their college list, or not apply to Notre Dame at all. It would for me. D went to a rival UG, and we have always jokingly cheered against ND. After reading more about Lizzy Seeberg and the other young ladies who chose not to file charges, I am glad D did not choose Notre Dame.</p>
<p>Today I’ll be sending a donation to Lizzy Seeberg’s Memorial Fund.</p>
<p>^I dobut it. All those sexual abuse cases don’t stop the Catholics going and donating to Catholic churches. Religion is a power thing for the religious.</p>
<p>Not ALL who attend Notre Dame are Catholic. Our alum did not choose Notre Dame because it was Catholic, rather he thought of the academics first.</p>
<p>Further, I am certain that ND is not the first University nor will it be the last to handle situations such as these in what appears to be a less than forthcoming response. I am not excusing their behavior re these incidences, but it seems to be pervasive among most top tier universities. I feel quite certain one could dig deep enough to find mishandling, if you will, at other top tier schools as well.</p>
<p>As a Catholic, I find post #143 extremely offensive. Please note that the account of the story which is linked is from the National Catholic Reporter. So, an article which is extremely critical of how ND handled the matter was published in a Catholic periodical–one that is often distributed in Catholic churches.</p>
<p>Jonri,
The article in NCR critical of ND is hardly surprising. Since ND is considered conservative compared to other Catholic colleges like Georgetown, a piece like the mentioned above fits right in with their narrative.</p>
<p>I’ve never seen the NCR in any of the churches I’ve attended. Not even St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Maybe there are just a dozen copies so by the time I look on the tables at the entrance/exit, they are all gone.</p>
<p>NCR is an independent publication which leans “left” in terms of church teaching. It would never be in St. Pat’s. You’ll find it in liberal Catholic parishes, notably Jesuit ones. </p>
<p>However, my point is being lost in the sauce here. Reread Post #143; I was replying to it.</p>
<p>Te’o seems to have convinced ESPN that he wasn’t in on the hoax. The interview is available on line.</p>
<p>I am far more offended by Cr&p in publications like NCR than I could ever be by some numb nut on the Internet. There are not many Jesuit parishes in the US, and even if you throw in Jesuit universities hopefully the tripe that NCR propagates is contained.
But that is probably too much " inside baseball" for this thread. I am so ready for this Manti issue to be put to bed. There was a man at Mass this evening wearing an ND shirt. I struck up a conversation with him and in our less than 10 minute conversation we concluded that it is exhausting being a ND fan.
But what the heck… GO IRISH!</p>
<p>Thanks for the post ^^ laketime! I was in the Wal-Mart parking lot this afternoon and a family was pointing at my car… Notre Dame stickers proudly displayed. </p>
<p>I am still very proud of our alum and our affiliation because of our alum with Notre Dame. No Regrets!!!</p>
<p>As a Catholic, I understand post #143 very well. I went to Catholic schools all through elementary and high schools. I baptized all my children, had Communions, Confirmations, all of it.</p>
<p>What I find offensive is the Church’s lack of honor. It’s not like they found out about sexual abuse and took steps to stop it. They were complicit in it, covering it up and allowing it to continue. They transferred priests, often giving them access to other young boys in the new parishes. I personally witnessed a priest in charge of a kids’ camp, who turned out to have been transferred from Philly, one step ahead of the cops. That’s our Catholic Church. Personally, they’ll never see another dime from me. </p>
<p>But, sorry, this is a discussion for another forum. It just still gets my back up.</p>
<p>Getting back on topic here, I’m wondering if this was just a lie gone totally out of control. For whatever reason, he faked a girlfriend. And it kept snowballing, causing him to come up with the great idea of saying she died. And then that snowballed totally out of control. I find it very hard to believe he was victim of a hoax.</p>
<p>But then again, when the story first broke, I found it hard to believe there really was a blue dress with Clinton’s DNA on it.</p>
<p>I hope the Te’o story prompts the Notre Dame health clinic to re-consider its prohibition on supplying birth control to students. I heard Te’o couldn’t even get anti-virus protection for he and Lennay’s most intimate online moments.</p>
<p>Simple question I hope Katie asks-"didnt ANYONE try to find an Obit after Lennay died?
Didn’t Manti try to find one?
Didn’t ND, teammates or media do a simple google search?</p>