What are some of your funny, family allusions?? How did they come about?

@CountingDown Speaking of Star Trek, my sister-in-law started this one: Whenever someone has a string or bit of fuzz on their shirt, you say “You have a Klingon.”

@CountingDown , that Yom Kippur story is hilarious!

Oh yes, we drink “Earl Grey, hot” in this house too. My mother always told the dogs, “Guard the house” when she left them alone, we don’t have pets, but used to say it to the kids.

We were on the rooftop sculpture garden at SFMOMA and there was a young family whose preschooler was entranced by the exhibits. His mom asked what he thought, and his response was “This is awesome as cheese!”

“Awesome as cheese!” is now a superlative in our home.

“What are you gonna do, eat your way to college?” (from an old army recruiting commercial) said when someone’s being indecisive.

“I blame the parents”-source forgotten, but we say it facetiously when we’re lamenting something dumb one of our kids has done.

“Spoonbill” We went on a trip with relatives that included a visit to an animal park. One relative repeatedly said all she wanted out of the trip was to see a spoonbill (the bird). We now refer to the one thing someone really wants from something as their spoonbill. “What’s your spoonbill for Paris? My spoonbill’s the Luxembourg Gardens.”

“Bang cheese” My then two year old asked for “bang cheese”. Having no idea what that was I offered a number of cheeses, American, Swiss, cream cheese, string cheese, and so on, each of which was rejected. My increasingly frustrated kid finally demonstrated what he wanted by pantomiming holding a bottle and smacking it on the bottom. “Bang, bang, bang!” Ah, Parmesan cheese! 20-something years later we still call it bang cheese.

“Earl Gray, hot” here as well.

We sarcastically use the line ftom Freaky Friday, “Make good choices today!” when someone gets out of the car.

There is a line in a family genealogy book saying our family has “sturdy common sense”. We now refer to that when someone in our family does something sensible. Someone told me I have common sense at work last week, and I explained to them that I have no choice given our family saying. ?

“I hate Tuesdays” - from “The Terminal.” When something does not go the way it was supposed to. :slight_smile:

A non-verbal one. An older relative was convinced that the fact that a certain type of whale had been found to the eastern side of the Baja Peninsula was evidence that there was a secret tunnel through the Baja. Never mind that whales are mammals who need to breathe and the Baja is 25 miles wide at it’s most narrow-a distance that would result in drowning whales. We joked that the whales just hold their breath, so when we’re together in public and someone says something especially illogical we just smile and nod and do a quick intake and hold of breath, something no one but us would notice.

Our toddler was amazed when he was served some yellow string beans once because, to that point, he had only seen green string beans (which he called “greenie beanies”). He loved them and always asked for “yellow greenie beanies” after that. Since then, yellow string beans have always been called “yellow greenie beanies” in our house.

English is not my dad’s first language, so idioms could be confusing. When he was dating my mom, he once told her not to look for a gift in the horse’s mouth. That has stuck.

The last of anything is always “the last melon.”
https://youtu.be/ipmQG8tXu_g

My husband’s first language isn’t English either, so he used to get some idioms close but not exact. When we were in college and I complained of having a lot of work he said “You’re not in the only boat”, a combination of “We’re all in the same boat” and “You’'re not the only one.” We still use “You’re not in the only boat.”

I always told my DH “Be good, have fun” when he’d leave for his late night mens league hockey games. To which he’d respond, “Make up your mind!” When DS17 was in high school, he’d text me when he was going out with friends, and I responded with “Be good, have fun.” And of course, he always came back with “Make up your mind!”

I have a friend who loves to take the mickey out of his kids’ latest slang. About ten years ago, it was trendy to say “snap”. My friend immediately latched on to this and when ever he could, he’d say something was “snaptastic”. Needless to say, the kids didn’t use “snap” for long.

In our group of friends, we have been saying “snaptastic” ever since then. Always makes me smile. The kids, all adults now, roll their eyes.

@CountingDown - so funny about invoking counsel!

I love all of these, but especially, “five more handfuls” and “going upstairs” and the whale story!!

Thanks for sharing!

@Sue22, our kids called it 'sprinkle cheese!"

Others:
“Take chances, make mistakes”
“You are a very Useful Engine”

One of my nieces had a hard time pronouncing her ‘r’ sounds when she was a toddler. This led to a rather interesting Thanksgiving when she loudly demanded a fork. It is part of the family tradition now…

I still have a copy of the Yom Kippur book and have also scanned it for posterity. When the guys were still home and we’d watch L&O or NCIS, they would always yell at the hapless suspect spilling his/her guts to shut up and ask for a lawyer!

Thanks to my late brother we always call the glove compartment in the car “the conglovement.”

I still enjoy seeing the fingle mingles at the zoo, which is the first term DS used for flamingos.

We got a lot of our sayings from D2 because she was so verbal as a toddler and she was the baby - 5 years younger than her sister.
She loved chocolate milk when she was little. We tried to ration her, and it was not hard to see the joy in her face when it was offered to her. When she was 3 or 4, we drove by a farm with a lot of brown cows in the pasture. D2 just blurted out, “Chocolate milk cows.” We all stopped more a minute before we realized why she called them chocolate milk cows. Since then we have called all brown cows that.

About the same age, D2 complained to us how my father always took “long cut” when driving her to ballet class. We then started saying (whenever we are lost), “are we taking a long cut?”

D1 used to get chicken and kitchen mixed up. For a while we would call kitchen chicken sometimes.

My favorite saying when people complain too much to me, “It could be worse.” This came about when my senior management was complaining to me about the fact we didn’t have disaster recovery at a site I was responsible for, and numerous other problems with the site. It was about a month after I took over. I got tired of listening to the complaints, so it just came out. My staff thought it was hysterical and they started to say it. My kids also picked up on it too because I would say it to them when they thought their world was coming apart.

My family used to watch the BBC show “Keeping Up Appearances” when the kids were young. “More tea, vicar?” is our go to phrase to cover the stunned silence when someone does something embarrassing or gross.

From Monty Python and the Holy Grail - no matter how bad something is, one of us will say: “It’s only a flesh wound.” It came about when one of my sons broke his leg very badly and was laid up for the summer. He became convinced he would lose his leg and his brothers comforted him by saying, “Don’t worry, it’s only a flesh wound.”