what classic novel could you either not finish or you hated it and why if you can elaborate

I loved Jane Eyre when I was fourteen. Still read it every now and then. Hated Men of Iron in high school. The book I could never get through? Sometimes a Great Notion. But I loved One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. Oh and I love Jane Austen. And Little Women.

^Funny, SAGN is the book I reread every few years. It takes some work but it’s amazing. Read Crime and Punishment in high school for a course entitled “Violence in Literature.” How’s that for a way to get teens to read challenging works? :wink: I’ve always treasured books but I once burned one-The Leopard by Giuseppe di Lampedusa. I hated that book with a passion!

For those who hate Last of the Mohicans but tolerate Mark Twain–he wrote a very funny essay (to me at least!) called “Fenimore Cooper’s Literary Offenses.”

@Curiousreader I love that Twain essay (and can’t stand JFC.)

“…never finished a Faulkner novel.” Amen.

I had a Great Books honors class my junior year in college. We had to buy 130 books and read a list of 15 of them over the summer. I got to August and only had about four or five done with minor items like the Bros K still on tap. By the time I rolled into the dorm three weeks later I was fried but I’d looked at all the pages. My roomie made a Stephen Dedalus joke and I had no idea who that was even though I’d read Portrait of the Artist in 24 hours earlier that week. Yeah, I went back to re-read a lot of those when we reached them later that year.

Anna Karenina
Gave up half way. I think I was too young.

One whole chapter of The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
It was just a geographical description of Paris - the entire chapter!!
It was a waste of pages! Finally I skipped to the next chapter.

My mother hated The Grapes of Wrath.
She was poor and hated to read about poor people.

Also:

-= Ugh - DNF =-
Moby Dick
Ulysses
Ayn Rand
Dickens is usually too long.
Henry James cannot capture my attention.

-= Ugh But Finished =-
Wuthering Heights
Middlemarch
Catcher in the Rye
Don Quixote (Second Half)
Canterbury Tales
Walden
An American Tragedy
My Antonia

-= Love =-
Hemingway
Vonnegut
Shakespere
Waugh

-= Surprisingly Liked =-
Three Men In A Boat
Don Quixote (First Half)
Kim

100 Years of Solitude. I tried it years and years ago, after an old BF said he loved it. I tried it again a few months ago. I was totally bored after 10 pages. Life’s too short to read bad books.

Does ANYONE read Faulkner? I mean, his books got printed, so I suppose people must have, but for the life of me I cannot understand why. I read a nutritionist’s book who explains Faulkner with “they all had pellagra!”

I cannot even remember whether I ever finished Moby Dick. I know I started over several times. Cannot understand male authors’ preoccupation with catching - fish, I want to say, but have to amend to seafood.

Speaking of whale books, this is a great one:

The Heart of The Sea: Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
https://www.amazon.com/Heart-Sea-Tragedy-Whaleship-Essex/dp/0141001828/ref=asc_df_0141001828/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312134266711&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=491412595840861463&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9002297&hvtargid=aud-801738734305:pla-448586229582&psc=1

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
I had to read it in HS and could not get through it. Cliff notes was my friend on that one. I liked Moby Dick, Loved The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings (wrote my college essays about them), loved Dickens, Mark Twain, Canterbury Tales, Little Women, Gone With the Wind. Not a fan of Shakespeare.

@happy1 , no!!! So sad! I love both!

@Sue22 , I threw American Psycho in the trash. What a terrible book. I have never thrown out any book before or since? I regret reading it. It was very much a product of its era.

OMG, one of my favorites. Granted I read it years out of college.

Do you mean, does anyone read Faulkner today? Good question! I read him in college and – when I truly focused – thought he was extraordinarily good.

A few years ago, I bought one of those handsome Modern American Library anthology editions of several Faulkner works. I swear I tried to focus. I really tried. I could not finish one single novel.

PS I had to look up pellagra :slight_smile:

books I hated the first time but then liked years later:
Moby Dick
The Golden Bowl
Great Expectations

a book I liked at first but then disliked on rereading years later:
The Catcher in the Rye

Have still never gotten through any Dostoevsky
or Ulysses

Books I have loved through many years and many re-readings:

Middlemarch
Pride and Prejudice
Emma
Bleak House
David Copperfield

@Lindagaf LOL! Well, we agree on most other things!

Book I didn’t like when I first read it way back in college, but on rereading 30 years later might be my favorite novel of all time: The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann.

I think that to appreciate some works you just need more knowledge and experience than you have when you are young. At least I did.

Sheepishly raising my hand here. It’s not a novel, but I absolutely love “A Rose for Emily.”

Not touching this one with a 10 foot pole! Lol! :smile:

Yeah, I’m just one guilty pleasure after another! :smile: