<p>I have BM/MM degrees - both in piano performance. Definitely would not recommend for most people including my D. I went to a conservatory and, if I had it to do over again, would choose a liberal arts education instead.
D has her heart set on theater. She considered conservatory type training (BFA), but thankfully has chosen to pursue a BA in theatre in a liberal arts setting. She’s hoping to double major in order to get a back-up degree, but can’t decide what else to study. She has many other interests, including foreign languages, psychology, etc. But none of them really seem like reliable backups. Any suggestions?</p>
<p>I have Associates in Religion and am almost done with Bachelor’s in Business Administration…contemplating Masters in Business Admin or Religion, still undecided since I just want the Masters and don’t care what it is in (doesn’t matter for my chosen career).</p>
<p>D1 is determined to get her BFA in Photography…sounds great but would’ve pegged her for drama instead :)</p>
<p>BA, MS, PhD.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Gawd no, how boring is that ;)?!</p>
<p>High School Diploma- me
BA-Latin D
MD-D</p>
<p>D-just in 1st year of college, but these are her goals.</p>
<p>Me- BS Nursing, MSN
H- BE-EE, All but thesis ME</p>
<p>D1-(personality just like H)2 degree program BS-EE;BS-Business
S- BS Business Management
D2-Planning: Philosophy Major, 2 minors</p>
<p>No one remotely interested in following mom into health profession.</p>
<p>I have -
BA English
M.ED DPT/LD
JD</p>
<p>I loved getting all three degrees - love school - work, not so much. </p>
<p>My D is vocal performance major and will likely get her MM and perhaps DMA. I’m thrilled that she is pursuing music and haven’t discouraged that path at all. </p>
<p>Her Dad got his bachelors and was in the Secret Service and then became a cop - now and then she says she’d like to join the CIA - must be in the blood a bit.</p>
<p>oops, sorry, just saw the op was what college degree do you have. I should not have posted.</p>
<p>me-B.S Nursing
DH-B.S. Mechanical Engineering</p>
<p>Neither S interested in either of those. It would have been fine with us if they were. </p>
<p>S1 will grad. in May with BS Natural Resources Policy and Administration. He will commission in the U.S. Navy doing Special Operations (nothing remotely related to his degree). He knew fr. a very young age that he wanted to be in the military.</p>
<p>S2 is a freshman majoring in Criminal Justice.</p>
<p>We are fine with their choices.</p>
<p>Me - BA Visual and Environmental Studies, M. Architecture
DH - BA Biology and Physics, PhD Biophysics</p>
<p>Neither child showed any interest in biology or architecture. That’s fine. DS1 found his passion early and is studying computer science. DS2 - it remains to be seen.</p>
<p>I never had any interest in following in my parents footsteps, it all seems pretty normal to me!</p>
<p>H: BA in Business: Health Care Adm., MBA
Me: BA in political science, BA in English and MA in Criminal Justice
D1: jr with double major in marketing and sports management
D2: entering with a business/accounting major next fall. She doesn’t want to hear it but she would be a perfect engineer or architect! </p>
<p>The princesses need to have well paying jobs as they are off the gravy train when they graduate!
I think D1 has chosen a major perfect for her! D2 is my slow to warm kid so she may or may not change her mind. She could be anything she wants but has a hard time deciding. sigh…</p>
<p>Me: BAs Math, Econ
H: BA History, East Asian studies
D1: BAs Math, Econ ![]()
D2: Age 15 - Dance, Journalism, Law, Medicine (due to the TV show House)</p>
<p>I started down the actuary path, but was bored out of my mind, stumbled into IB. I started in the front officet, then some how ended up in IT. I have never written a line a code or taken a CS course when I moved over to IT. I really didn’t enjoy studying (strange thing for an Asian), so never went back to school to get my MBA. I don’t feel lack of graduate degree ever held me back in my career. My H some how ended up in the textile importing business. In the last 5 years his career has taken a back seat to mine. My job requires a lot of attention from me, and it’s a lot more lucrative. Other than raising kids, I am not too good when it comes to household stuff.</p>
<p>My D1 is very much like me, except she is a lot more social and diplomatic than me. She loves to travel and plan events. She likes to live well, but doesn’t expect other people to provide her with the life style (mom as her role model). I think she’ll go into business (maybe international). This is not just a proud mom talking, but I think she has the smarts, drive to be a CEO. She said if all else fails, she could make a very good wife for a politician or CEO.
I told her to just make sure there is a seat for me on her private jet.</p>
<p>D2 is a wild card. She loves her books, ballet and piano. She is analytical, dislikes math, but likes science. Unlike her sister, it doesn’t take much to make her happy, never a high maintenance child. I could see her be a professor someday. But lately she’s talking about law or medicine (I have no experience with either and I hate blood). </p>
<p>We don’t have too many rules about what career to pursue, because life is long and you don’t know where it will take you. The only rule I have is that both girls need to be able to support themselves in the kind of life style they want.</p>
<p>Me: BA in Middle Eastern Studies and MAF (Masters in Public Affairs)
H: BA in business administration, masters in economics, and JD
S1: systems engineering (3rd year)
S2: systems engineering (expected major next year)</p>
<p>Both expect to work a few years, and then get an MBA. Their undergraduate choices are what I would call an English avoidance plan as opposed to a signal that they are cut out to be engineers. I loved English and history classes and took fluffy things like Tunisian Folklore and the History of Religion from the Stone Age to the Hellenistic Period. I can’t imagine either son following in my footsteps, but would have been happy to see it. </p>
<p>We have advised them that their undergrad major doesn’t matter, but each should expect to go to grad school before they are through with their education. Of course, that was when I was assuming they would major in some liberal arts choice such as English or History or Economics. That part didn’t stick but they do accept grad school as a given. I don’t know where the engineering thing comes from other than they enjoy math. Older son seems very happy with his major and supplements it with business class electives and language immersion programs during the summer.</p>
<p>Me- BBA -Marketing, MPS, MA- Educational Psychology, MA- School Counseling, ABD -school psychology (what can I say, bordering on being a professional student. I like school)</p>
<p>D- BA -Religion (really likes her major) Future plans- joint degree programs JD/MTS</p>
<p>My parents told me to major in something where you can get a job when you graduate. I really did not like being a business major (although pratical and my former employer had a great tuition aid plan). Now finally found my niche working for the Department of Ed</p>
<p>I told my D major in what ever you are passionate about because your gift will make room for you. No matter what happens, you will find a way to feed yourself and you should not equate wealth solely in terms of $ and cents. I walked my talk when I left to take a much lower paying job working in the public school system.</p>
<p>I think she listened because she wants to do public service (who knew she was listening
)</p>
<p>Son, yes. Daughter, no. She doesn’t have the aptitude or at least isn’t demonstrating it at this time. Her strengths and interests are elsewhere though, of course, this is subject to change.</p>
<p>Me - B.S., Math & Chemistry
. . . .M.S., Computer Science
DW- B.S., Biology
. . . .PhD, Microbiology & Biochemistry</p>
<p>D1 - ug Biology & Environmental Science (double)
D2 - ug Biology & Wildlife Management (double)</p>
<p>Our family’s educational philosophy is Attitude, Aptitude, Interest. Both DW and I have been happy in our careers.</p>
<p>My father: JD, but strongly pushed business degrees for all of us
My mother: BA in secondary ed.</p>
<p>H’s father and mother: no college</p>
<p>Me: BS in marketing
H: BS in marketing, MBA </p>
<p>3 adopted children with varying interests and abilities. Only 1/6 birthparents went on to receive a degree. We would be fine with business, but I don’t see that interest in any of them. We hope they can find something they like doing and any degrees would be “icing on the cake.”</p>
<p>Me - BA in Mass Communications with minors in Business and Spanish
H - BS in Mass Communications</p>
<p>Both kids (HS jr & fr) have ruled out our degrees and careers, and we’re glad. </p>
<p>It remains to be seen where they’ll end up. Jr S talks about taking a Psych path to the FBI, preferably hostage negotiator. Fr D refuses to discuss her college or career interests.</p>
<p>I have to agree with calgal. Both my H and I are MDs. Although my S is strong in science and math I would not encourage him to follow our footstep because of the current environment. Luckily he is interested in economics and international relations!</p>
<p>
No worries and all are welcome! I am glad you posted.
</p>
<p>Me BA; Dance, MLIS, Certif. program in School library resources, elem.ed, etc
DH: BA Humanities, MLIS
DD: BA Anthro
DS: BchemE (in process)
Our educational philosophy - well, we didn’t take a straight path to our degrees or careers and it all worked out. DS is the only one in our family who is taking a career-focused path.</p>
<p>DH MS Pharmacy
Me BS Health Sci, MS Ed in Exercise Physiology ( Physical Therapist)
Fortunately we both love our jobs.</p>
<p>DS ug Business hopefully accounting major, he is thinking eventually law
DD Jr in HS wants to major in Engineering
as most here I want them happy & making a decent living</p>