What Is Something That You Tried But Just Weren’t Good At (Or Didn’t Like)?

I can’t eat them (any fruit) without someone else cutting it up for me, putting the pieces in a dish, and putting it in front of me saying, “Eat that! You need to eat some fruit!” I’m not a big fan of fruit. (Sorry mom. Sorry DH.)

2 Likes

LOL - My mom and I used to agree that the best “kind” of peaches are the ones that are so juicy you have to eat them over the kitchen sink.

3 Likes

I have a few! :joy:

  • playing the french horn. My mom & piano teacher decided when I was in 6th grade that I should learn how to play the french horn because the music teacher at the middle school needed more french horn players. I suffered through that during 1 summer and vowed NEVER AGAIN! I was truly awful at it. Hated everything about it.
  • sewing. My mom wanted me to learn. Took a sewing class in middle school. The stuff I made was not anything I’d ever be caught dead wearing while out of the house. I don’t own a sewing machine as an adult. No thanks.
  • playing golf. Tried it for awhile w/DH before we had kids. It was expensive (and we couldn’t really afford it), it took too much time (and I had long hours at work), and it was boring. That was almost 25 yr ago. DH still has his clubs. Last time he used them was 24 yr ago. :joy:
  • pretty much any team sport. I hate playing all of them and I’m bad at all of them. I’d rather get a root canal.
  • snorkeling.
  • being on long road trips w/DH when he spends half the time on work conference calls in the car.
5 Likes

I can so relate to the road trips with the husband on conference calls. Bane of my existence.

I love retirement!

My husband would also want to go way out of our way on road trips to visit work sites. :weary:

5 Likes

I’m completely the opposite. I love snorkeling and never really warmed to skiing.

I am a lot older than you and I still ski!
We broke bones a year and a half ago for the first time in 50 years of skiing, but we were back on the slopes last winter!
DH is a scuba diver. That I can’t do. I can snorkel, but not scuba dive.

4 Likes

Never say never, I may dust off my skis again at some point. Seeing what my daughter’s MIL had to go through in terms of recovery was an eye opener. She’s 60-ish I believe but one of the most physically fit people I know (she’s a personal trainer) and her injury knocked her flat. Injuries hit different as we get older.

3 Likes

Oh yes, I tortured myself and the others in orchestra by playing — of at least attempting the violin. The 1st chair was SO delighted when I stopped.

3 Likes

I was once good at most arts/crafts (drawing, painting, sewing, calligraphy, stained glass, etc.) but except for sewing, would get bored after a few years.

However, I could never master pottery, despite taking lessons, and trying for at least 5 years. I love others’ pottery. I could eventually throw “ok” pieces, that would turn out horrible after firing. The glaze would run, or turn an awful color, or my pots would be damaged (by others’ pots that exploded in the kiln). It was far too frustrating, so eventually gave it up.

Volleyball. I tried while in school, but was so bad, they wouldn’t even put me on the practice team.

Water skiing. Could never even get up!

2 Likes

I have solid hand-eye coordination. I can hit a baseball, play golf, ping pong all that type of stuff, but I just hate bowling. As a kid I really wanted to be in a league but never was. Now I am bored with it by the 3rd frame. Also not very good either.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. If you’d like to reply, please flag the thread for moderator attention.