What's the best advice your mother gave you? (Or, what's the best advice you have offered?)

  1. Any girl could have a boyfriend, if she sets her standards low enough.
  2. Don’t think everyone is looking at you all of the time.

These were great pieces of advice for me as a teen.

Travel while you’re young.

This I like. My mother had the opposite advice, which was to go out with anyone, because “maybe he has a friend.” I went on some absolutely awful dates until I finally said enough!

We were raised Catholic as my dad was but my Mom was raised Jewish. She agreed to have us raised as Catholic.

She has always said, “what religion you are is unimportant to me. It’s how you treat others and live your life that matters.”

“If you keep making that face, it will freeze that way.” Fifty years later, sadly she wasn’t far off the mark, particularly with the forehead wrinkles and between my eyes!

Don’t be in such a hurry to grow up. You’re an adult for a really long time and a child for a really short time.

Mine’s more specific- when eating at a potluck, make sure you don’t criticize the food because the person who made it might be right next to you.

“Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?,”

Y’all can guess in what context this came up!

From my mom: “Marry a man who makes you laugh.” Worked for me. From me to my daughter, every morning in high school, when she was having a rough time: “Don’t take any cr#p.” Worked for her.

@Barbalot - are you my sister? :slight_smile: Mom used to say the same thing. :slight_smile:

My mother said never to get into a position where you’re financially dependent on a man.

I didn’t follow that advice. It seemed too restrictive – taking away the option of being a stay-at-home mom when your kids are young (something I very much wanted to do).

But my mom may have had a point.

My Mom always said “Treat everyone as you want to be treated”. I have always told my Daughters (when they are afraid of a situation) “They can’t eat you”, this comes in very handy for them in interviews, phone calls they don’t want to make etc. Also, “patience is a virtue” which my older daughter has now said numerous times to younger people she knows.

Lol the advice that worked in reverse. Learn how to type so you always have something to fall back on. I never wanted to fall back so I did not learn to type. Had a wonderful career that did not involve typing for someone else.

My mom wasn’t long on advice?

My advice…deadlines don’t miss them. And read the fine print.

This is most definitely not from my mother; I read it somewhere. And I love it:

Be who you needed when you were younger.

Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Live your life in such a way that if anyone says something bad about you, no one will believe it.

And my favorite: Don’t chase boys; they like to do the chasing. LOL

I’m a guy, but I remember when my mother sat me down before I went off to college and said any advice she and my father might offer was based on the world they were raised in and their own life experiences, but I was raised in a different world with different life experiences, and only I could figure out what was right for me.

“You do not have to marry a man just because you love him”.

My advice—reinvent yourself as appropriate and there’s always a silver lining (sometimes you have to search but it’s there).