What's up with women and ironing blue jeans and t-shirts?

<p>I only dry towels and sheets - everything else dries on hangers in the house. It’s just me so I can manage drying things on hangers. If you wash on delicate, hover over the washer so you remove them the instant they stop, shake vigorously, smooth them with your hands and then hang immediately, there is not much ironing needed. This works for jeans too. I do iron cotton blouses, however.</p>

<p>I hate to iron and pay extra for the no iron clothes.</p>

<p>I don’t ever remember ironing a tee shirt or jeans. I just put them in the steam dryer and hit touch up.</p>

<p>My teen daughters were telling me how in recent years a lot of boys are obsessive about keeping their white athletic shoes (or sneakers) perfectly clean. One boy was so obsessive about his shoes that he walked in an odd fashion to avoid putting a crease in his shoes’ leather. Back in my day, the first thing we’d do to a new pair of white athletic shoes is rub dirt on them to eliminate the geeky new-shoe look. </p>

<p>I must admit I’ m one of those who thinks the people who are obsessive about having jeans, t-shirts, and especially underwear pressed are a little sick, mentally. I’m sure somebody here even irons socks and towels.</p>

<p>I iron about 20 mins a week. All pillowcases (so the bed looks nice when made), shorts, tees and polos. Jeans? No.I don’t bother with my son’s polos because he does sports in them, but I do my daughter’s tees, too. I guess I’m odd on this site but otherwise we’d look like we just rolled out of bed!</p>

<p>I iron dress shirts and that’s about all. Never ironed a pair of jeans or a t shirt. Most of my friends say they never iron.</p>

<p>dke - maybe you are a little sick, mentally.</p>

<p>Sick as it sounds, I enjoy ironing. Maybe it’s a little OCD. I don’t do sheets anymore, but I do pillowcases because I like the smooth feel on my face. I iron our shirts and slacks, including jeans. I buy only washables because I get headaches from just going into the dry cleaners. I sent D1 to college with a brand new iron, got it back four years later still in the box. Best regift ever!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Ha!! After her first year in college, D2 said: “seriously mom, there’s no way I’ll ever use this. Why don’t you keep it here at home.” I did. I like to iron too and while I don’t do it as often as I did before I had a housekeeper, I find it relaxing. I usually watch a movie while I iron. If I prefer to have clothes looking a certain way, why is that a sign of some kind of psychological problem? It’s a preference just as preferring red wine rather than white wine.</p>

<p>Schmaltz, instead of wondering why someone in you family would iron blue jeans and tees, buy them a new Miele washer and dryer with wrinkle guard cycle and see what happens next :)</p>

<p>Just finished ironing. I try to avoid it but washed some shirts and shorts with towels and the shirts/shorts came out all wrinkled.</p>

<p>IRON is a 4-letter word in my house.
My 77 year old mother irons EVERYTHING. Her arthritis is so bad now she is panicking about what will happen when she can’t iron anymore! I will do anything to help my mother…but even she knows that does not include ironing. I see therapy and medication in her future.</p>

<p>I used to iron my own dress shirts, but it was strictly out of cheapness.</p>

<p>As for t-shirts and jeans, we don’t iron them, but they don’t really come out of the dryer wrinkled, either. My wife insists that each garment be “shaken out” as it is removed from the washer–a step which I have always doubted, but maybe it has some effect.</p>

<p>ILOVEDCOLLEGE…you stole my post!! 4 letter word indeed.</p>

<p>Funny story…daughter was at preschool playing “house”. She was having a grand time, until she found the pretend, plastic iron. She had no idea what it was, or what she might possibly use it for. She used it as a tea pot. The teacher looked at me (and my wrinkled jeans) kinda funny when I picked her up that day. ;-)</p>

<p>

OK, I have to ask … do you iron them on the day you wash them and then deal with wrinked pillowcases six days a week? Or do you iron them every day so thay look good every day?</p>

<p>(asked by someone who has not ironed anything in over 25 years but does fold his underwear).</p>

<p>In Austin Texas at least when I lived there most professionals had their jeans washed and pressed at the cleaners so that over time there was a straight white crease line down the center of the legs. Shirts always were sent out and starched. Same for khakis. If you did not do that they figured you were just a hippie or a Yankee with no style.</p>

<p>Odd one here…both of my kids took irons to college and both used them. When DS was packing his “stuff” to move to his new place…the iron went too…and an ironing board.</p>

<p>If Thump’s son is in NYC and is old enough, I think my D needs to meet him. What a catch!</p>

<p>My son is working a summer job where he has to wear the same t-shirt every day. Luckily, he did this program last year too, so he has two shirts. He washes them and last night he left them in the dryer overnight. GREAT PRODUCT: Downy spray. You just spray the shirt and the wrinkles fall right out.</p>

<p>I don’t iron jeans or t-shirts or sheets, but I do iron. Hubby sends his shirts out. Lucky me.</p>

<p>H irons, and enjoys doing it. This is one of the reasons I married him. :wink: I just try to get things out of the dryer as soon as they’re done, smooth and fold, or shake and hang. I get very few wrinkles that way. And if there are any, I smile sweetly at H…</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I was going to write the same thing–if he’s near Philadelphia, I’d love to introduce him to my D.</p>