<p>and, all of this is based on your inestimable experience.</p>
<p>About 80 percent of the Johns Hopkins University’s undergraduates engage in some form of independent research during their four years, among the highest percentage in the nation and most often alongside top researchers in their fields. Johns Hopkins receives more dollars in federal research grants than any other university in the United States. AFAIK, MIT’s UROP gets 2800 students or 70% of students per year.</p>
<p>Johns Hopkins was also one of the 5 original founding members of the invitation only ELITE Association of American Universities (AAU) alongside Harvard, Columbia, UChicago, and UC Berkeley.</p>
<p><a href=“http://www.aau.edu/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=1092[/url]”>http://www.aau.edu/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=1092</a> Original five President’s invitation to the “rest” of the Ivy league and research powerhouses Stanford, UMichigan, and UWisconsin.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>70% per year for 4 years is a much bigger number than 80% once over an entire 4 year period. Virtually all MIT students do at least one UROP, many a lot more.</p>
<p>I’m sorry Phead, your post did not include any facts and supported data relevant to the undergrad experience.</p>
<p>Please insert another quarter to play again.</p>
<p>;)</p>
<p>[puts in a nickel and two dimes]</p>
<p>About 80 percent of the Johns Hopkins University’s undergraduates engage in some form of independent research during their four years, among the highest percentage in the nation and most often alongside top researchers in their fields.</p>
<p>[Headlines@Hopkins:</a> Johns Hopkins University News Releases](<a href=“http://jhuniverse.jhu.edu/news_info/news/home01/apr01/wood.html]Headlines@Hopkins:”>http://jhuniverse.jhu.edu/news_info/news/home01/apr01/wood.html)</p>
<p>I inserted UC Berkeley among the top 5 original Presidents so that I can make you feel GOOD! hahhahaha</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>These type of individuals are usually renowned for not being interested in their teaching duties in comparison to their research, so I would submit that they are not at all the best professors.</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>It shouldn’t give these schools license to be hypocrites in comparison to everyone else about standardized testing, though. Not to mention that a main reason that the test is biased towards the wealthy is because, on average, wealthy people are smarter, which is how they got to be wealthy in the first place. </p>
<p>
</p>
<p>Cornell CAS still has lower SAT avg than Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore. What possible tangible evidence do you have to show that “Cornell produces much better students on average than AWS”?</p>
<p>“Cornell CAS still has lower SAT avg than Williams, Amherst, Swarthmore”</p>
<p>I have not seen CAS SAT average posted.
2008 50%iles have been posted though, 650-740V, 670-770M.
vs.,for Williams, 660-760V, 660-760 M. </p>
<p>I wouldn’t be in a position to say CAS students are “much better” than Williams students , I’m pretty sure they had a broader course selection though, in a larger more diverse setting. Though larger classes, on average. They all seem like pretty capable students to me, coming in.</p>
<p>just catching up on this lively thread. Hawkette- good find on the JHU CDS…not to add more fuel to what appears to be a settled question, but in reading over more of JHU’s enrollment reports ( [Registrar’s</a> Office | Reports & Data](<a href=“Registrar - Homewood Schools (KSAS & WSE) | Office of the Registrar | Johns Hopkins University”>Registrar - Homewood Schools (KSAS & WSE) | Office of the Registrar | Johns Hopkins University) ) it appears that there are even more nursing undergrads than Peabody undergrads that are excluded from the CDS. Add to that a new cohort of business school undergrads just getting started. </p>
<p>While I would not expect the SAT scores of JHU’s nursing school to be too far astray from what has been reported for A&S & Engineering (by example, Georgetown’s Nursing & Health School has SAT ranges only slightly below its other schools: [Georgetown</a> University- Office of Undergraduate Admissions](<a href=“http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/applying_firstyear_sdprofile.cfm]Georgetown”>http://uadmissions.georgetown.edu/applying_firstyear_sdprofile.cfm) ) the fact remains that JHU’s CDS, and likely basis for their US News submission, only characterizes part of the university. I agree that given the choice, I would certainly like to have available the most granular data possible, by school, but that I am sure would only be volunteered at the very top line level like the Georgetown webpage, if at all. [Of course Georgetown is one of those opaque, non-CDS-providing schools…we never get what we want!]</p>
<p>"I agree that given the choice, I would certainly like to have available the most granular data possible, by school, but that I am sure would only be volunteered at the very top line level like the Georgetown webpage, if at all. "</p>
<p>FWIW, Cornell’s Institutional Research provides detailed breakdowns for its various colleges. Comparable information should be available for every multi-college university. And this is not such a radical notion, as I said this is what I saw in the old Cass & Birnbaum college guides in the early 70s.</p>
<p>Without this, consumers need to be aware of the extent to which they are not comparing apples to apples, lest they draw consequent incorrect conclusions as related to their particular situation.</p>
<p>
AWS has higher SAT average than Cornell. What possible tangible evidence do you have to show that AWS produces much better students on average than Cornell? After all, SAT averages are determined before a student attends AWS or Cornell…</p>
<p>This argument seems pretty ridiculous to me. I think top graduate schools and top employers have proven quite adequately that a top school is a top school, regardless of whether it is an LAC or a University. Do any of you really think that an employer will hire somebody because he went to Cornell instead of Williams, or vice versa (other than alumni hiring/connections, of course)? The argument that LAC students go there to be coddled is just as bad as the argument that big U students don’t care about academics and are only there for the partying.</p>
<p>When you get up to the caliber of school that most of you are talking about, that is Ivys/Amherst/Williams/Swarthmore/Pomona/Chicago/Stanford/Hopkins/etc, it frankly doesn’t matter which of these schools you attended (HYPS sometimes an exception). What matters is your abilities and experiences.</p>
<p>You’re just plain wrong on this, pal. The quality of the undergraduates is not higher at JHU, for example, than at Amherst or Swarthmore. In fact I would suggest the opposite is true.
And I’m a graduate of JHU who is gently directing his kids to liberal arts colleges, because I think at the higher levels (i.e. AWS, etc) the quality of education adn life in general is higher. Hopkins was/is full of eminent names, but the classroom experience for underclassmen is more likely to be mediated by a clueless 24-year-old grad student. No the case at Amherst. You need to look beyond the name and really examine the substance before you spout off next time.</p>