Why Whole Foods is Moving Into One of the Poorest Neighborhoods in Chicago

<p>People who cannot afford food can probably not afford cooking classes designed to get them to purchase their food a Whole Foods. That’s what I meant. It sounds like the craft classes at Michaels. Sold as a cheap hour of activity for the kids. until after the class the little tykes are begging you to buy a shopping cart full of overpriced art supplies and then they get home and make a huge mess. Don’t misunderstand, though. This is a fine idea. They get gigantic tax breaks and federal food funds and bring about 100 jobs per store. It’s just not quite the humanitarian gesture being portrayed in some of the articles. I’ve never been in a Whole Foods I don’t think.</p>

<p>Also, if it’s the only store within a reasonable distance and shoppers are not paying with paychecks price is not that big a factor, anyway. (Whole Paycheck is their derogatory nickname.)</p>

<p>The Millburn NJ store was tiny and relocated to the huge store they opened a mile away in Vauxhall/Union. It was the nastiest WFM ever - moldy produce and such narrow aisles. I hated it. The same space reopened a year later as a Trader Joes and it’s amazing! My gym is in the same complex and I’m in there nearly every day!</p>

<p>I believe the West Orange closure is the same story when they opened the huge one in the former Pathmark store on Eagle Rock. </p>