Speaking as a Brit and knowing our transport system I’d have to go for the direct to Gatwick option for peace of mind - but instead of getting a pod, get a taxi to East Grinstead and have breakfast/lunch (think it will be lunch) and a walk around there. It is a nice market town with lots to see - hopefully the weather will be good for you. It is wonderful here today! but who knows what it will be like in June! I think I’m right too that you will be able to check in your baggage at the airport when you arrive and then you will have more time to walk around.
The pressure will be off and you will be able to ‘enjoy’ your time out. And if is raining you can change your plans. I suggest East Grinstead as that is the biggest main town but if you do a google search you might find somewhere else you might like. How about https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/standen-house-and-garden which would be lovely to walk around and visit and the National Trust always have great cafes.
@Whistlingal – great suggestion, thanks so much.
I think we will get on to Gatwick. And now we have 3 options to consider – the yotel or other airport hotel, a nice club lounge, or a trip to East Grinstead. I have a reservation at the yotel, but can cancel up to 24 hours b4 so we have wriggle room.
Again – many thanks for all the input!
Under normal circumstances I would recommend staying up to get on European time, but if your daughter is coming off a all-nighter I’d be worried that she just couldn’t function after getting only 3-4 hours of sleep over a two night period. I’d opt for one of the options that lets her sleep.
@oldfort You’re right: amex PP holders can take one guest free. But more than that and it’s $27 per person. For a family the PP with Chase is better because it includes unlimited guests. I never use my Amex PP bc always traveling with fam.
I vote for go rest/sleep that way you get to Italy ready to hit the ground, especially since you’ve already been to London. Have a great trip!
@professormom1 - I have never paid for my guest(s). I just checked AmEx policy, it used to be free for the whole family, but now it is up to 2 guests (family or not) for free. Not sure where you are getting your info.
If you are using your platinum card for a Delta lounge then you would need to adhere to Delta’s policy.
@oldfort You referred to the Amex Priority Pass upthread, which allows one guest to accompany you in Priority Pass lounges. Terms are here: https://www.americanexpress.com/icc/cards/benefits/travel/priority-pass.html
Both Heathrow and Gatwick have several Priority Pass lounges. Folks can check here: https://www.prioritypass.com
Amex Platinum card will allow cardholder and two guests into Amex Centurion lounges. Perhaps this is where you’ve been going. But there are only 9 of them. And only 1 of those is outside the US: Hong Kong. So that doesn’t help OP who is traveling to Europe.
Amex Platinum card will allow cardholder entry to Delta Skyclub if traveling on Delta. Guests are $29 and also must be traveling on Delta.
I would think most people would have additional cards for their families, at minimum, the spouse. I gave one to my mom because of the insurance.
@ProfessorMom1 - AmEx platinum card can get access to VIP lounges at various airports outside of Priority Pass and not just the centurion lounges.
https://global.americanexpress.com/lounge-access/the-platinum-card/LGW
@oldfort Additional platinum cards are $175 for the first three; not everyone wants to spend that much more.
We have done this a couple times. 9 hrs if you have to switch airports is not that much time really. Passport control, gettting train tix, finding the baggage storage, waiting in line at storage, leaving time for train delays, etc, etc. We have done it, but had a 13 hr layover (6am arrival, 7pm departure). Also not sure I’d do it again. It was pretty tiring on jet lag. The next time we did Yotel. Much more relaxing.
We have stayed at both Yotel and Bloc pods. Both are good.
@oldfort Those are all part of the priority pass network: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loungesearch?entity=f51cbf2c-6355-477d-99e9-4ef1e0f58151
I’ve never heard of additional lounges outside of Centurion, Skyclub, and PP, but I’d love to be wrong on that.
PP and all lounges, frankly, are real lifesavers, esp if traveling internationally. My family has spent many, many hours in these lounges when missed/delayed flights happened.
I have been a platinum card holder for most of my adult life and have taken advantage of the membership for many years. My kids have also been members since they were teens. In paying for the extra memberships, aside from getting all the perks, my kids were also able to benefit from my good credit. It is true some of lounges within AmEx network are also part of PP, but PP probably has more lounges and that’s why AmEx offers both memberships, whereas other cards only offers PP.
UPDATE: Coming back to this with update! We chose to go directly to Gatwick and stay in the Yotel in the South Terminal. It was great! We all slept about 2 to 3 hours, took showers, and then had some of their great free espresso. Checked-out in time to grab a late lunch and head to the gate. Arrived at our hotel in southern Italy around 9:30 that night and we were ready to hit the hay but not completely exhausted. Whole family agreed it was a good decision, esp. since my D had only about 5 hours of sleep the night of graduation followed by overnight flight. We all slept some on the plane – except my son who watched 4 movies!
Thanks for all the input! #:-S